“huge room well located and good price” 5 of 5 stars

Ivy Boutique Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   233 E. Ontario St., Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
San Francisco
“huge room well located and good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a king suite for our two day visit. The suite was well laid out and spacious. The staff was friendly, attentive and helpful. The suite was very clean and had good amenities. I particularly liked the large bathroom with separate shower and soaking tub.

The only problem was the external fan for the mini bar fridge. It made a humming noise in the middle of the night so we had to unplug it. I do not know for sure what effect this had on the fridge. But I told the staff what we had done and they seemed unsurprised and didn't try to get me to plug it back in.

The cake pops at turn down time were nice too!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. Regarding the fridge, we thank you for letting us know about this issue throughout your stay which we have taken care of already.

T. 312.335.5444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Carmel, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Let me first say that I booked this hotel via hotwire and it had a 4.5 Star rating via hotwire.....NO WAY!! First off, as I approached the city I called the hotel to see if by chance my room was available (it was 1PM) so I could just valet my car and get all of my personal belongings out and in my room and the lady the answered the phone said yes, go ahead and come here and we will get you checked in. I did exactly what she said and when I unloaded all of my things and got to the check in desk she then let me know that my room wouldn't be ready for a few hours! I was very unhappy! I put my belongings in their "closet" and went about my day. I returned about 6PM to check in and as I was waiting in line the lady working the front desk was talking to the guest in front of me and explaining to her that since the hotel wasn't full and she booked on hotwire she would upgrade her for free...I was thinking wow, that's very nice. As I approached the desk to check in the lady was very cold and rude and then when i asked about the upgrade she explained to me the fee associated with upgrading.....I said so that didn't apply to the person in front of me?? She became very angry and then said well I guess I will upgrade you as well. VERY RUDE! The bell man was very sweet and walked me up to my room and showed me all the "features" of the room. I was put in room 902....which overlooked an awful rooftop! The overall size of the room was nice, but that was it! The bathroom was TERRIBLE! There's a built in TV in the mirror of the bathroom...which didn't work and I called down several times to have it fixed and no one did anything about it.......but besides that the mirror was so dark I couldn't see a thing! I called down to the front desk to inquire about this and the lady said I"m on the phone and it will be awhile so if you need something you can come down....really?!?!? I did go down and explain to her that the mirror was awful and I couldn't see a thing. Her response was very rude AGAIN! She let me know that not all room had been updated and I needed to use a different mirror to get ready....the lighting in the entire room is awful and there isn't a good mirror to use! Also, there's no fitness center in this hotel as states on their website! I asked upon check in and the rude lady said you can use the gym a few blocks away....that defeats the purpose of booking a hotel with a fitness center! I could go on and on about my awful experience, but I'll leave it at NO WAY is this a 4.5 Star hotel!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the IVY Boutique hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry the hotel was not to your liking. I'd be happy to talk to you personally about your experiences. Please email me at you convenience. Kind regards, James Cazares General Manager T. 312.335.5444 E. James@exploreivy.com
Thorntown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My 14 year old son and I stayed three nights for a small spring break get away April 3rd-April 5th. I booked through Hotwire as I have the last 4 trips. The Ivy had big shoes to fill! The Ivy was definitely the most luxurious accommodations we have experienced. They have hit it out of the ballpark with the details that make all the difference. The turn down service with the next days forecast and sweet treats were fun to return to nightly. The Keurig coffee maker was a nice detail as well as the various toiletries including mouthwash, loofah and the kit with Q-tips, nail file, sewing kit and shower cap in addition to the standards. We had a studio queen, room 1003 and enjoyed our quiet surroundings. Even with our room just being a studio it was more spacious than some other rooms we have stayed in and offered a lovely, comfortable chair with side table in addition to the very nice chair with desk. We loved the electronic curtains and black out drapes. The windows were small and off in the corner but that was okay as there wasn't much of a view as we looked out to the south and it would negatively affected the layout of the room had they been anywhere else. I loved the frosted glass double doors leading to the bathroom. The shower was the crown jewel of the room with it being all glass with the rainfall head and wand. The bathroom fixtures were primo! We also really appreciated the dark hard wood floors and all the marble and granite in the bathroom. All the lighting choices in the room were really nice too although a floor lamp by the chair would be a very nice addition in the studio rooms as I was often awake earlier than my son and would have liked the option of having a light to use by the chair so it wouldn't awaken him. The bed was very comfortable as well as the linens. I loved having two pillows each and the bolster for back support when sitting in the bed. The suit rack was also a nice addition despite the fact neither of us were wearing a suit we still utilized it. The light in the closet and the many drawers throughout the room and bathroom were also a very nice surprise. The hotel is 1 1/2 blocks off the Mag.Mile and surrounded by various eateries including Epic Burger, The Capital Grille, Timothy O'Toole's Pub, Qdoba and others. Garett's Popcorn is also between the hotel and the Mag. Mile. The location has a neighborhood feel like you are going home. The entrance and bar when you walk in is beautifully decorated in crisp & clean white with accents of gray and purple. Amy was very helpful and friendly at check in and assisted me with printing tickets for a game since I had forgotten to do before I left home. She gave personal attention as she remembered we were going to a game and asked us about it the next day when she greeted us upon one of our returns. The doorman, Hamza was very kind and helpful and made us feel very welcomed. Maria, Ludy & Martha did a great job of taking care of our room. Thank you for a great visit! We would recommend the Ivy to anyone traveling to Chicago.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. We appreciate all your good recommendations and treasure them greatly in order to increase our guest's satisfaction. If the Studio Queen was of great accommodation, you should definitely try upgrading to our King Suite during your next visit to the city; the TV in the bathroom and the soaking bath tub would be something you and your son would enjoy for sure.

Waukesha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I booked a room here for an overnight getaway for my wife's birthday. While we were disappointed that our usual hotel was fully booked due to a convention, I was very excited once we found the the Ivy. I spoke with Albert while booking our room, who was very helpful - more than willing to explain the room choices for a first time visitor, as well as parking, proximity, etc...

We had a king suite on the north side of the building, 8th floor. Although some reviews complain about street noise, we didn't have any issues with it - even with construction on the building across the street. The rooms were great, modern and nicely appointed, with nice touches like a Kuerig coffee maker, rainfall shower, tv in the bathroom mirror and HUGE soaking tub. Bed was comfortable, and we loved the full living room area for hanging out. Our front desk request for more bath salts and coffee was answered promptly, with them both being delivered to our room within minutes.

Great location for shopping, with Michigan Ave a couple blocks away, and loved that we could stop into Garrett's popcorn on our way back to the hotel for a bag of Chicago Mix. Also, if looking to get back on the interstate, Ontario is a straight shot back onto 94 (VERY convenient!) Overall we had a very nice overnight here, and would recommend it to others!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago!

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just spent 3 wonderful nights at The Ivy. My husband and I have stayed in some really nice places, but we both agreed- this was our favorite hotel room ever. We had a King Suite, and it was a huge 675 ft. It really felt more like a luxury apartment.
Arrived on our floor to find that there were only 5 rooms. Loved the intimate feel of the place.
Rooms are accessed via an electronic keycard waved above the door knob. Worked flawlessly. Set the stage for the modern, sleek decor that was to come when we entered the room. Beautiful , huge bathroom with two sinks set in a large vanity area. Plenty of space for all of your toiletries and the bonus of a tv hidden behind the mirror. May seem a bit gimmicky, but we actually enjoyed watching GMA while we got ready in the mornings. Huge, deep soaking tub. Toto toilet. Nice sized, glassed in shower stall with a wonderful rainfall shower head, as well as a removable spray wand. Great shower experience. Towels were nothing to write home about however. The toiletries were nice. Especially enjoyed the lavender sea salt soap, and the L'Occitane shampoo. The disposable loofah mitt was a neat addition to the offerings.
The bedroom area is so sparse, clean, and pretty. Platform bed with ridiculously comfortable mattress and bedding. We loved the fact that the comforter was 100% enclosed in the clean, white sheet/duvet. No way of even touching the comforter. The best we have experienced, as I cannot stand touching the bed coverings that are not washed with each guest. The cleanest hotel bed ever. Great pillows. Good bedside lighting. Wood floors also made the entire room feel so clean. Very quiet room as well, made for a great night's sleep!
The living room area was as large as another traditional hotel room! Comfy, white leather sofa sectional with some good pillows to prop up on. We found ourselves loving that couch in the late afternoon, once back to the hotel after a day's walking, with tired feet! Propped those legs up and relaxed back on that comfy couch. Such an attractive, modern decorating scheme. All whites/grays/purples. Very hip.
There is a butler's pantry in the hall leading to the bedroom. Keurig coffee maker. Mini fridge. Small sink. Nice countertop area to set things.
Our room did not have a "view", per se- but it was completely fine with us. We looked out onto a water tank a la "Petticoat Junction", but we both found it charming, rather than an eyesore;)
The hotel lobby is small and the staff frequently hang out together in the bar area. It is very casual. A quick greeting as you enter and exit the property, but otherwise you are left alone. We seriously felt like we had an apartment for the weekend. Loved it.
Great location, 1 1/2 blocks off Michigan Ave. Could not have been better.
Will most definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Definitely book a King suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms and our staff''s customer service. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago, keep on mind the Double Queen Suite if visiting with the family!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

That's what I asked myself when I walked into the very spacious suite/apt. at the Ivy. Really nice room, nice dark wodden floors, great bathroom. The lobby doesn't do it justice. Staff is helpful and friendly. Seriously this room feels more like an apartment with a separate living room. Very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms, specially the wooden floors. An interesting fact about these floors is that they are all made from bamboo which helps us increase our green consept to the hotel. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago!

Estevan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed just 2 nights in this amazing hotel. We up-graded to a King Suit and were so pleased we did so. Amazing soaker tub, double sink, water-fall shower -- beautiful! Extremely spacious and well laid out rooms. Lovely living room area with great views and all the best of the bests: TV, beds, blankets, bar, etc. The entire staff was so friendly, helpful and accommodating. We will be staying at the Ivy Boutique Hotel every time we visit Chicago. Total luxury. And can't wait to check out their ruff top terrace lounge when we return next!

Again, you feel like royalty at The Ivy, without the snobby or pretentious attitude.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. The Sky Terrace will be opening at the beginning of May with a full service bar and a varied appetizer menu to enjoy a wonderful afternoon or a chilled, relaxing night down town.

T. 312.335.5444

Been to Ivy Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!