“Romance is in the air” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

You added Ivy Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Ivy Boutique Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   233 E. Ontario St., Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Ranked #29 of 176 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fountain City, Indiana
“Romance is in the air”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Went to the Ivy Hotel to celebrate my birthday. The hotel staff was wonderful!! When we arrived to our room there was a heart made of rose petals on our bed, candles, chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, and rose petals surrounding the beautiful bath. The bathroom was amazing with the rainforest shower, soaking tub and a TV in the bathroom mirror. The room was very clean and the area was very quiet. We will be going back to the Ivy Hotel very soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad you enjoyed our guestroom on your birthday. The pictures you took look fantastic, thank you! Can't wait to welcome you back!

T. 312.335.5444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Naperville, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is our second stay at the IVY, that opened for business last summer. The IVY is more than just a boutique hotel; a luxury facility in an intimate setting with full service accommodations. IVY had figured out how to welcome their guests in a way that a big hotel chain can't. The staff is friendly, attentive and eager to make each guest's stay memorable and comfortable.
The valet, the doorman and the guest service representative greeted my wife and I as friends. I don't like ingratiating service and am put off by over the top enthusiasm for any and everything I say related to my visit. So, somehow, the staff was able to make a connection with us that felt authentic and put us at ease. Even the bartender seemed like he would have loved for us to have a seat and get to know him. That wasn't our plan, but it seemed that plenty of other guests found the bartender and the bar inviting.
Other reviewers have captured the elegance of the guest rooms, but I will add that our room was sparkling clean. When we came back from our dinner, our bed was turned down and there were treats by the pillow. There was also fresh ice in our ice bucket. The bathroom in our king suite was as large as the sitting room and had an impressive bathtub and rainforest shower. Trust their website to show what you are going to get when you book a room. Only, it is much better in person

Room Tip: Go with the king suite. It is worth the extra money.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property on TripAdvisor and thank you for coming back to the hotel, we appreciate your loyalty. Hope to see you on your next visit to the IVY Boutique Hotel.

Grand Haven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The hotel decor is contemporary and elegant. While the lobby is small and was rather loud, the front desk service was quick and accommodating, enhanced by the lovely young lady's sweet personality. The room is beautiful, a king suite on the 14th floor. I took pictures of it! The bed is a platform style, in a separate space from a good sized living area with an L shaped sofa, which was a comfortable sleeping spot for our eleven year old son. There is a nice bar area in the room with a keurig coffee maker, and mini bar acutrements. A nice desk are would make a working visit easy, and the butler's valet a nice addition for hanging a man's suit. There are 3 tv's in the room, and the bathroom is very luxurious. I loved the hotel, but it was the young woman who brought up additional bedding for the sofa and who offered me an umbrella in the lobby who really made the stay special. While there is no restaurant on site, there is room service and many establishments nearby. The in room Internet is free. Overall, I had a great experience here and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad that enjoyed the contemporary and elegant design of the hotel. Thank you for recommending our hotel to others! Can't wait to welcome you back to the hotel!

Oswego, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My hubby and I took advantage of a Groupon deal from we got back in November and stayed at the hotel a couple of weeks ago.

We weren't sure what to expect as I've never stayed at a "boutique" hotel before. When we got there, valet came and took the car and all of our luggage was loaded and we were escorted to the front desk. The concierge was extremely nice and made us feel very welcome. After that, our porter took us to our room and showed us how to use everything and where things were.

A lot of the room was automated, like the curtains and the blackout curtains. There were three tvs total and the room we were in (King suite) was huge. I looooved it! It felt so roomy although the rug they have for each room gets uncomfortable after a while, so I recommend some slippers. There was a small kitchen area, with a sink and a fully stocked bar and snacks. Not that we did any of it, so expensive.

We went out for dinner and I was so surprised to see turn down service with dessert treats their kitchen must have made. They were so delicious, best cookies I've had. The next night they gave us cake balls!!! It was divine.

The beds were also extremely comfortable. I have stayed in some nice hotels before and didn't really mind their beds, but it's always great to go back to your own bed. The Ivy Hotel bed is wonderful, though. The blanket keeps you toasty warm and the pillows are soft.

All in all, we had a fantastic time and were treated very well. Everyone was super friendly and the hotel was so quiet, though that's probably because it was January. Still, if we come back to Chicago, we'll only be staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was a corner room and when we had the blinds open, got a lot of light.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a wonderful review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy that you consider us your new favorite hotel in Chicago. Thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you back at the hotel real soon!

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I checked-in on Friday, February 1, 2013 around 10:30pm. We were informed at check-in that we had been assigned a room on the 3rd floor. I then expressed my displeasure and informed the concierge that when I made my room reservation I had requested a room on a higher up floor and gone through the booking process with Albert who assigned me room 1402, as stated on my guest reservation confirmation. She then informed me that room was taken and that there were no other rooms available. I asked if she could check for a room on a higher floor since I had read online that rooms on the lower floors could hear more street noise. My husband and I were seeking as much quiet as possible. This was our 1st weekend in close to a year away from our 20 month old son, and would be our last weekend away for some time as we are expecting another child in one month. She appeared to be having some trouble with the room availability system, and checked again. She then informed me that she could move us to the 7th floor. I asked if this would be the same type of room as the one I had previously reserved and she informed us it was. After getting into the room my husband and I noticed that the deadbolt lock appeared to be broken and would not lock. I called down to the front desk. The same concierge informed me that the lock was not broken and she would send someone up. She ended up coming up herself very promptly (within 5 minutes.) She fumbled with the lock and then expressed that it was jammed. She asked to go back to the front desk to check for a different room to put us in as I did not feel comfortable sleeping in a room we could not lock. She called to inform us that she would be sending a bell man up with new keys for a room on the 5th floor. After entering this room and settling in we noticed that this room did not have a rain forest shower head. Something I had been looking forward to since I am 8 months pregnant. We then went downstairs and I informed her that there was no rainforest shower head as the other rooms have. She then informed me that this was a handicap room. At this point we did not wish to move again that evening and I asked if we could be moved tomorrow (Saturday) once a new room was available. She informed me that she would make a note in the system and make sure we were moved the next day. She then apologized for the inconvenience and gave me 2 complimentray house wine drink tickets. She stated I know you can't drink (it was very apparent that I'm pregnant,) but perhaps your husband can use these. I didn't have the heart to tell her that he didn't drink wine. I also found it odd that she would offer complimentary alcohol when she could tell I was pregnant. I brushed it off because it was a kind gesture.

The next day we received a phone call that a new room was available and were promptly moved to room 1402. There were no issues with this room besides the coffee table in the living room having quite a few rings, that gave off a dirty look. We later learned that the table was clean and that the hotel is in the process of changing these out since they hold water marks. Our housekeeper did an excellent job in room 1402, we came back from dinner to a note and 2 treats with turn down service that evening. We checked out on Sunday February 3, 2013 without incidence, and each of the bell men we encountered were great about opening the doors for us and helping in anyway possible.

In short because of the events from check-in I had to give three stars, had we checked in on Saturday and started off with the experience from room 1402 I would have given it 4 stars. At the end of the day I still would not recommend this hotel to others, and would be hesitant to stay here again myself. One thing that I found to be very true was that the pricing is a real bargain for downtown Chicago.

Room Tip: The King Suites are very large compared to most hotels in downtown Chicago.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry that check-in did go as smoothly as you expected. This is not a normal occurrence at all. Here at the IVY Hotel we try to accommodate all requests, but we simply cannot guarantee anything. As for the deadbolt, we have a electronic deadbolts in the hotel guestrooms, even if you don’t hear a deadbolt engaging like average deadbolts, the deadbolt is in fact engaged by an electronic sensor. I hope you will re-consider staying with us on future trips to Chicago!

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We used a Groupon and stayed in this new hotel located just off Michigan Ave. in Chicago. The rooms are beautifully appointed, the staff is quite friendly, and the king bed suite was wonderful.
This hotel is a true bargain in Chicago and we had a great stay

Room Tip: Room was very quite and the view was good. This is a small hotel and very new.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I'm not the type of person who normally writes reviews, but after staying at the Ivy Hotel I feel compelled to share my experience. One word, AMAZING, describes the Ivy. From the moment I arrived and the valet took my car, I felt like I had won the lottery. The king suite was huge, the waterfall shower was heaven, and the 3 TVs were awesome. The Ivy is perfectly situated only 2 short blocks to Michigan Ave. The doorman, bellman, front desk host, and hotel manager all treated me like they truly appreciated my staying there. Everyone had a smile on their face. My only regret is that I could not extend my stay. I am so looking forward to returning to the Ivy in the summer. Feel like a king or queen - we all deserve it.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, the IVY Boutique hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm so glad that you encountered so many smiles from my team during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel this summer!

T. 312.335.5444

Been to Ivy Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!