“Nice, but nothing extraordinary” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   233 E. Ontario St., Chicago, IL 60611 (Streeterville)   |
Ranked #30 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Randolph, Massachusetts
“Nice, but nothing extraordinary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We were originally booked at the Omni October 12-15, but my boyfriend decided to switch last minute via Hotwire. When we arrived, we were greeted by the bellman, who opened my taxi door and unloaded our bags. Upon checking in, we were offered to upgrade from our standard Hotwire room to a king suite for $75. My boyfriend asked if it was $75 per night, or $75 total, and the girl checking us in replied very clearly, "total." I remember thinking, $25 per night... Not bad!! However, that was not the case... And I'll get to that later.

We took the elevator to our suite on the 10th floor with the bellman, who proceeded to show us the ins and outs of the room, such as the housekeeping button, TV in the bathroom mirror, and electronic blinds. He asked if we would like ice, and we said yes, so as he left to get some, I went to play with the blinds buttons so I could see the view. Come to find out, the blinds opened and closed just fine, but the curtains on top of the blinds or not. We told the bellman when he came back with the ice, and he said he would "tell management." We never got any phone call or anything. Honestly, it wasn't a huge deal to me, but if something doesn't work in a brand new hotel that is clearly not fully booked, you would expect a call from the front desk at least.

Now, the about the suite itself. It was nice! Very modern. The bathroom consisted of double sinks, a deep soaking tub, and a big, walk-in shower with a rain-like shower-head. It was super clean. The bathroom mirror is very dark, as it is a two-way mirror with a TV in it. It is almost non-functioning as a regular mirror, so ladies, plan to get ready in the hallway. You cannot hear the TV while in the shower, although I did like watching as I was brushing my teeth, etc. The toiletries were standard: shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, mouthwash, sea-salt bath salts, and a scrubby.

The bed was GREAT!!! Super comfortable. It has no sheet, which I found a little weird, but I didn't end up minding it. It feels like you're sleeping in a giant pillow covered up with another giant pillow. There is a TV on the wall which is attached to an adjustable wall mount. There are two end tables, but the lights are weird. There is not really a low-light option, and one of the light switches on my side didn't work at all. Again, nothing that would ruin my stay, but still a slight annoyance.

Outside the bathroom is a closet. One closet. Super small. Maybe 5-6 hangers, one drawer, and one top shelf. It was barely enough space for one person for more than a couple of days, and definitely did not fit with the size of the suite. Also outside the bathroom is a wet bar with a Keurig and sink. Across from the wet bar is a full-length mirror on the wall, which, as mentioned, the ladies will have to use to do everything.

The living area consisted of modern furniture: a desk with another flat-screen TV above it, a coffee table, a couch, and a chair. I disagree with what some previous reviewers had said: I did not feel as though the hotel had sacrificed comfort for style. There is also a stocked mini fridge in the living area.

We had a big window, but our view was just of more buildings right across the way, and a street below. Nothing spectacular.

Speaking of TV, this hotel had the bright idea to get satellite instead of cable in the Windy City. Therefore, the picture goes out FREQUENTLY for short periods of time. Again, another small annoyance.

The first morning we were there, I called down because we forgot toothpaste. I was told by the desk that someone would bring some right up, but it never came. My boyfriend physically went downstairs a couple hours later (literally, two hours later), and they went "in the back" to get it. They brought it to our room shortly later. The next day, however, we asked for an iron and ironing board (there's not one in room), and it was brought right up. So, perhaps the toothpaste was an isolated incident.

Around 5-6pm, housekeeping brings a little treat to the room (a mini cookie or brownie bite), along with the next day's weather. They also turn down your bed at this time. Housekeeping was very friendly, and did a good job.

We were always greeted by the desk staff, but never by name. The bellman will whistle a cab for you, but doesn't seem to know much about the area.

We did not eat nor drink at the lobby bar, nor the rooftop deck, as it was raining the weekend we were there. We also did not order room service. The sodas in the mini bar were around $7 each, but I don't remember the prices of the snacks/liquor.

The hotel provides you with a gym pass to somewhere down the street, because theirs isn't open yet. They also provide you with an umbrella to use during your stay, which seems to be pretty standard, as I saw many other branded umbrellas traveling the rainy streets that weekend.

Upon checkout, we were charged an additional $150 for the upgrade... not $75 as we had been told, and reassured, even when we asked "total or per night?". My boyfriend decided not to argue it, which I strongly disagreed with, but whatever; it was his money, not mine. HOWEVER, the hotel did store our bags for free the day of checkout, as our flight wasn't until later in the afternoon. That was much appreciated :)

The hotel is in a very good location. Walking distance to Michigan Ave, Navy Pier, etc. There is a great little breakfast cafe around the corner, as well as a sports bar if you need to catch that Sunday football game, like we did. It is a new hotel, so most cab drivers don't know it by name (just give them the address).

All in all, the Ivy is a nice hotel, but I probably wouldn't pay full price to stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property, the Ivy Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry that the service was not to your liking, that is in no way our standard and we do apologize. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future!

T. 312.335.5444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I booked this brand new hotel on Hotwire and it was love at first sight. Small, modern, and a great staff. The room was what they called 'studio' with great double doors into the bathroom -who has double door for a hotel bathroom!? In the afternoon we went for drinks and snacks up to the roof lounge and enjoyed fresh air and a view (of other buildings). In the morning, we had a breakfast meeting in the quiet restaurant on the main level. We walked to our dinner reservation at night and shopped all the great shops on the Magnificent Mile (a few blocks away). I will definitely come back to Ivy Boutique Hotel!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write that amazing review about our property, the Ivy Boutique Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed the design of our rooms, especially the Queen Studio that you stayed in. We hope to welcome you back in the future to either of our F&B operations or our hotel!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Perfect location. All staff made us most welcome from the minute we arrived. Helpful and friendly making our stay memorable. Albert's restaurant recommendations were superb. Hotel staff were amazing, meeting all the needs of the marathon runners, from pasta dinners to pre race breakfasts. Bar staff were great fun and service great. One small point was that room doors were noisy and sound proofing could have been better but only if you had a noisy neighbour who wanted to party in middle of night. Would certainly recommend this hotel and will most certainly be back if and when I return to Chicago.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review about our property, the Ivy Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am so glad the staff was helpful to put together a great pasta dinner for you and your friends competing in the marathon. We can't wait to see you return to the hotel!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I booked this hotel for Marathon weekend in Chicago. The Hotel is small they only have 60 some rooms the location was prime just a couple of blocks from the marathon start, navy pier and michigan ave. I have stayed at the Four-Season and Peninusla Before and they are wonderful but there is something about a small hotel. Ilana knew my name and greeted me by my last name evertime I walked inn. Hello! this was a firt time for me where they actually knew my name. I highly suggest this place it was reasonbly priced the rooms and furniture are up to date and on par with other 5 star hotels in chicago. the mini bar was well stocked and the mini bottle of Patron was a nice touch. The ivy is probably one of the best hotels in chicago, from the location to the in room menus and let's not forget to order the short rib sliders!!! I will be back. Thanks again

Room Tip: Order the Short Rib Sliders they are delicious. Also I booked directly with the hotel and they gave...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind words about our property, the Ivy Boutique Hotel. I am so glad Ilana could make you feel at home by greeting you by name. Thank you for also noticing the furniture and mini bar items that we have carefully selected for our guests. We hope to see at the hotel again or at our restaurant enjoying those amazing short rib sliders!

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Love the hotel and staff! I travel a lot so just having the ability to email reservation request and changes means a lot. Location is perfect for downtown Chicago. Hurry to enjoy the rooftop bar before it snows!

#Rainshowers!

-Eric W.

Room Tip: Great service is all that needs to be said.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, the Ivy Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am so glad my staff was helpful and accommodating with your email requests. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is, by far, one of the newest boutique hotels to hit the Chicago scene. Nestled a couple blocks from Michigan Avenue, it is in the perfect location for proximity and convenience. In addition, it's very non-assuming; coming into check-in, I noticed the impeccable cleanliness and courteous staff, from the greeters to the check-in staff, all the way to maids.

I did not have to wait that long for service and was offered a King Suite upgrade that was at a very reasonable price. I was also thoroughly amazed with the quality of materials used throughout the room was nice. I had my wife and son with me and, they too, loved it. Generous use of marble and granite adorn the bathroom and wet-bar. The floors were wood; this is one of the few places I have been in that I can feel like the environment was clean enough for me to walk around in my bare feet. We were the only tenants on the floor, so the privacy was top-notch. This place only has five rooms per floor, so this definitely has a home feel.

If there was one thing I wish that the Ivy could improve on was their room service menu. I have been to big chain hotels and was offered a bigger variety of choices. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, due to them being a relatively new hotel @ 4.5 months old.

Overall, as some reviewers have put it, this is one of the hidden gems of Chicago. It is sure to garner respect in Chicago.

Room Tip: Not too much of a view, but privacy and noise level is much lower on the higher floors. Elevators a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review about our property, the Ivy Boutique Hotel. We are so glad you felt like you were home again and that you noticed our cleanliness around our property. I'm sure you will be happy to know we are changing our room service menu and it will be released this upcoming spring. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!

T.312.335.5444
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I reccently stayed at one of those large chain hotels, an stubled upon the ivy. my curosity brough me into the hotel to have a drink at the loung and while talking to some other hotel guest who were raving about the rooms and the service. i decided to see if i could check out of my hotel early and try this new place. I was able to and i was not disapointed. My Suite was abotu 3 times larger then the hotel i stayed at, the bed was excelent and the nice little touches such as turn down and the front desk helping me with my needs was a great touch.The location is central to most everything and there were a lot of resturants in the area. this hotel is sophisticated and elegant. ivy is a top notch hotel i will return again.

Room Tip: Select a suite the living room was a nice place to lounge around.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent experience with us at the Ivy Boutique Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed our king suites rooms and the service from our staff. We hope to see you in the near future!

T. 312.335.5444

Been to Ivy Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!