“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My mother taught me to always say something positive first. Hotel was in a good location and staff nice. The room left a lot to be desired. We found someone's flip flop and tootsie pop wrapper under a chair. There were three women in the room. One slept in the sofa bed but we needed to make it up but found no sheets. It was late, we were tired...sheets came fairly quickly but annoyed we had to call. Room did not have a mirror in the bedroom, light in bath were too dim to apply makeup, no available free outlet next to bed to charge phone, couldn't figure out how to set alarm clock, frig was not cold, room was cramped and couldn't get in closet without closing bedroom door, fan in bath was not on a separate switch so always was on when bathroom light was on. Annoying inconveniences.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Maria C, Manager at Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your previous stay. I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. Hopefully you will give us another chance to prove we are the choice hotel in the O’Hare area and let us exceed your expectations. Please call me directly if I can assist you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I frequent the ORD area and have stayed at many hotels in the area including Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton properties. Now I think this Renaissance hotel is becoming my new favorite one.
I recently stayed here twice. The stay in April was just perfect - everything worked great and everyone was very friendly and helpful (even their airport shuttle driver was just amazing!).
But I had some issues during the stay last wee - first the airport shuttle is supposed to be every half hour from the airport but somehow the one at 10:30pm never came which led me a waiting at the airport for ~50 minutes. Also the toilet water tank kept refilling by itself which required the Engineer to fix it. But the 2nd day, the manager Karen called me and appologized for the inconvenience and also offered me some compensation which resolved the issues satisfactorily.
Bottom line - my experience at this hotel convinced me that the service here is consistent with the Marriott standard so I would recommend it to anyone I know of. (Actually I just booked myself
some upcoming stays at this hotel)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My recent stay was the fourth time I've been here -- all for work meetings.

The hotel is convenient to O'Hare. There's a free shuttle and the train from O'Hare goes right next to the hotel. The train also goes downtown, so for an airport hotel, transportation options are very good.

The hotel itself is nicely decorated. The suites are a good size, very clean and comfortable. The beds are firm but sleep well. The bathroom is quite spacious and clean. One small drawback -- the lighting in the bathroom makes it difficult to see the details.

I've only eaten breakfast at the restaurant. The buffet is quite good. There are a few small restaurants in walking distance across the interstate. The Thai restaurant (Golden Elephant?) is a bit of a hole in the wall but really quite good if you're a Thai fan and the pizza place is good. Otherwise, take the train or a cab to somewhere else to eat.

If you need a hotel near O'Hare (or you wind up here for work), the Renaissance works quite well.

Let me know if this review is helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The rooms are outstanding. Very roomy and comfortable.
Best of all is the customer service. This is true especially
of Bill McGuigan, one of the Room Coordinators.
Knowledgeable and friendly, Bill is sure to rise in the system.

This is a "Gotta Go" kinda place.

IHG,
Rube

Go Hawks

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bateau Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Very large rooms separate bedroom wish we could have stayed longer good drinks at the bar and a great breakfast free shuttle from airport would stay again if in town lots is space large bathroom easy checking and out

• Stayed May 2013
Maria C, Manager at Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your previous experience at the Renaissance Chicago O’Hare Suites Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed our lounge, we just recently renovated. Our spacious suites; they are largest rooms in the area. I hope that you will be able to visit with us again soon. Safe Travels,
Weston, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having just checked out of the Renaissance twenty miles to the north, we were expecting the same luxury. Unfortunately, the north shore Renaissance blew this one away. We moved here for the 24 hour airport shuttle as we had a crack of dawn flight. That part was perfect. In fact the room was very nice but as soon as you lay down the disappointment sunk in. For Marriott's high end, you should have an outstanding bed. This bed was hard and uncomfortable. In addition, it always amazes me as a business traveler that if you stay at the low end hotels you get Wi-Fi free but the high end products make you pay. At the other Renaissance wi-Fi was free for Marriott Rewards members, not here. There are few restaurant choices within walking distance so that is a problem as well. Many choices in the area, this one did not stand out among the rest, we will try another one next time.

Room Tip: Corner room was very big.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear the discomfort that you had with our bedding. The hotel does offer complimentary WiFi for Platinum Marriott Rewards Members. In addition, there are many local area restaurants that our Navigators can recommend. Please call me directly if I can assist you on your next visit.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Recently stayed here while I was near a conference. Hotel itself doesn't actually look like it fits into the area but I was pleasantly surprised once I got inside. Pretty nice lobby which is attached to the starbucks concierge etc. Wifi is ONLY in lobby and 2nd floor.

Pros: pleasantly surprising with suites
Awesome shower
awesome bed
awesome room
starbucks!
Free shuttle 24/7 to airport (to and from)

Cons:
no where to really eat other than hotel restaurant
Sort of not walkable..

Otherwise was a great stay.

Thank you renaissance and priceline :D

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear D, Your compliments and review is sincerely appreciated. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Starbucks and our accommodations as well. Along with local area restaurants within proximity, we also have access to the CTA blue line located 500 feet from the hotel, which can offer many restaurants in Downtown Chicago. Safe Travels

Been to Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!