“Perfect spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ACME Hotel Company Chicago

Save Saved
You added ACME Hotel Company Chicago to your Saves list
ACME Hotel Company Chicago
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 East Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #24 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Slayton, MN
“Perfect spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Love this hip/funky hotel in a perfect location to anything you may need - including food, shopping and transportation. The front desk took such good care of us - giving us info and tips on what to do and how to get there. The two room suite was perfect for our needs. Comfy beds and a quiet room on the 8th floor. I highly recommend this gem of a hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
TeacherinMN!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience at the ACME. Our front desk staff loves being able to help guests enjoy their stay in Chicago; and our concierge staff always has the best suggestions! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I travel a lot for work and leisure, and having only stayed in Chicago once (ironically, at this hotel about 10 years ago when it was a Comfort Inn) I did meticulous research as I was in town for a full week and really wanted to be sure I got a great hotel.

If you are considering hotels in the River North/Magnificent Mile area, you cannot find a better place from top to bottom. For me, I wanted a small boutique hotel in this area, that was close to everything and didn't have a thousand rooms and hoards of families and convention traffic, and also had minimal street noise and no fire stations/hospitals/ambulances nearby. I looked and compared the Acme, the Dana, the Palomar and the Mile North VERY closely. The Dana & Palomar are both right around the block from the Acme.

What made me pick the Acme was a) the great reviews and other traveler photos here on TripAdvisor, b) their VERY friendly and helpful staff who I talked with and emailed with in advance (Jennifer Calhoun in sales was incredibly helpful and the epitome of excellent customer service) to address my concerns and what I was looking for, c) the location and, importantly, d) that Acme hit on all of my points noted above.

We had a suite on the top floor which had view of the area buildings and city and was truly quiet with very little and not noticeable street noise. It also felt like staying at an apartment because it's small and doesn't have tons of rooms, therefore less elevator traffic and crowds - completely opposite from any of the nearby big chain hotels. Plus, it's so convenient to walk to all the attractions, great restaurants, river, and the Red line subway station is around the corner.

The suite was huge and very comfortable for a week, extremely comfortable bed and the bedroom was set back from the street, in the back facing a courtyard. Yes, the bright red lips were on the bathroom wall, the funky green wall was there. Hardwood floors were a plus and did not mind the lack of a closet - the hangers on the wall were just fine.

I commend Acme for making this an excellent hotel in every respect, and particularly the many staff I encountered who were friendly and helpful at every turn. This is what a boutique hotel should be - and you should seriously consider staying here whether on business or for fun. I know I will definitely be back on my next trip to Chicago.

Room Tip: All the suites have city views - some of the regular rooms face a courtyard or parking garage. I li...
Hello, HotelReviewer333!

Thank you so much for your kind words! At the ACME, we love hearing about such positive guest experiences. I'm so glad everything was to your liking. We would love to have you back next time you are in Chicago!
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Amazing location and loved the and fresh quirky modern decor, complementary knock and drop breakfast was a fantastic idea. Great value for money would stay there again over an older more run down 5 star chain hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello, PatrickL82!

We are so glad you loved the "funky" decor (what a fun description) of our hotel and the knock-and-drop service! Those two aspects are something we are very proud of at the ACME and love that you were able to appreciate them too. Please come back and see us again next time you're in Chicago!
Amherst, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We've stayed twice at the Acme Hotel and on both occasions were given an upgrade to a suite. Our most recent stay was from April 6-12, 2013. From check-in to check-out, you are welcomed by every staff member with a smile. Captain Carl will take care of any concierge need you may have as well as your bags with delightful charm.
This hotel is within walking distance of great shopping, restaurants even the waterfront!
The rooms are lovely, clean and well maintained. Currently, breakfast can be delivered to your door each morning which we chose to do. Piping hot coffee, yogurt, fresh fruit, orange juice and a choice of ham & cheese croissant or a hard roll with apple-smoked bacon & sliced tomatoes or a yogurt with granola. Quite filling and delicious. Great way to start a day of walking!
Fresh coffee (reg & decaf) and hot water for tea or cocoa is available self serve, 24/7 for hotel guests. There is no coffee maker in the room. Great WiFi, essential for my husband who was also doing work on this trip. This trip was also for a medical reason, surgery. I spent one day post-op in bed and was quite comfortable, they have delightful beds and nice pillows!
This is the only hotel I will ever stay at in Chicago. I used to shop around....not anymore. I found my home away from home!

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best view of the city. Always book direct with the hotel, by their website or...
Hello, Diane R.!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share so many kind words! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our knock-and-drop breakfast service. It is definitely something we hope made your stay even more special. Also, we feel customer service is our top priority. We are so pleased to hear that we succeeded in making you feel so welcome; we'll be sure to pass your praise on to Captain Karl!

We're lucky to have the opportunity to serve such appreciative customers, and we hope to see you often in the future!
Galveston Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was in town on business for a week and my company booked this hotel. Being from Chicago, I was thrilled with the PERFECT location. A couple blocks from Michigan Ave., a block from Blue Line and plenty of public transportation, and TONS of great bars and restaurants within a block. I reccomend Grammwhich for lunch, Pops for a glass of champagne and oysters (as for Rachel), and Quartino for dinner. When first arriving, I was puzzled by the tiny reception area. No lobby or bells and whisltes; not to mention the "Tokyo Hotel" next door looked creepy. I was given my key and entered the cool elevators decorated with album covers of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beatles, etc. Very cool. The room I had 1003, was a complete surprise. Big corner suite that I could totally live in if I was a single 20 something still. Large bedroom, nice updated bathroom with cool "lips" nightlight, and large living room with couch that folded out to bed, huge flat screen, small dining table with 2 seats, wet bar, micowave, fridge, and cupboards, not to mention unique art work that followed the "rock and roll" theme of the elevator albums. It kind of reminded me of The Standard brand of hotels. Perfect place for a long business stay but would definitely stay here for a weekend. Not to mention I had a great view and they deliver FREE hot thermos of coffee to your door each morning. The only negatives were the staff NEVER smiled. I guess they are supposed to be hip and casual to go with the theme of the hotel but the thing is, I work in sales for hotels, so there was a lacking in "hospitality" from the staff. I was there for 6 days and never was greeted wtih a hello or a smile, except by the super friendly housekeeping staff. Also, there was a real lack of good lighting in the bedroom, bathroom, and livingroom. I felt like I was always looking for additional light. Otherwise, Great place. They are working on a bakery and a bar to open in the hotel at a later date. I look forward to returning and will certainly request this hotel from my travel department.

Dear, GypsyTravel78,

I am so glad you found your stay so pleasant and that we could exceed your expectations! It's so great to hear that we could be so accommodating, especially for those staying for business and not pleasure. However, I can't help but be disappointed with the lack of hospitality you received during your stay. Our customer service is a priority, and while we failed to convey this on your first stay, we would definitely appreciate an opportunity to make a much-improved second impression. We very much look forward to having you stay with us in the future, only to be greeted with smiling faces!
lwk111
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Recently stayed in the Acme April 12-15. Overall had a great stay. Had a room with 2 queen beds, and found that the room was quite spacious. Everything was new and clean which is always nice when staying in a hotel! The lobby is quite small and there is no bar/restaurant (though they are in the process of adding one). The decor is quirky and hipster. There was second (empty) mini fridge separate from the mini bar which was nice for putting water and soda inside. Our views were terrible...Im talking the parking garage out one window and a rather disgusting looking courtyard on the other side...but we just had our shades drawn and barely spend any time in the room other than to sleep so it didnt bother us much! Location is great, right off Michigan and a couple blocks from a ton of great bars/restaurants on Hubbard Street. Overall a great stay- as long as you know you wont have much of a view and its a no frills kind of lobby!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear, lwk111,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! As you noted, we are anxiously awaiting our Berkshire Lounge and Bakery. We hope you will be able to stay with us again next time you are in Chicago and visit the Berkshire as it will certainly be a fantastic addition to our hotel. Also, next time you visit, you might be interested in our City View Queen. The City View Queen is a comfortable queen room overlooking Ohio street which certainly affords the best view in our hotel. Thank you so much for your feedback! We hope you will come to stay with us again.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've got to thank Tripadvisor for this gem-of-a-find. Fits the bill for all that I'm looking for on my business trips to Chicago:

1. Clean and well-maintained rooms
2. Reliable WiFi
3. A gym
4. Breakfast and hot beverages (delivered to your room no less!)
5. Excellent Location: 2 minutes walk to Grand-State station on Red Line. Spoilt for dinning choices around hotel (so many with so little time to try all). A grocery store across the street. And Michigan Avenue just two blocks away.

Just one thing I didn't quite like: street noise. I was there for the weekend and public drunkenness can be heard even from the 14th floor. Proximity the bars and eateries does have its drawbacks.

ACME Hotel Company Chicago, hope you keep up the wonderful work and maintain your wonderful PRICES. Will be a repeat (again and again) if you do.

Room Tip: If you have issues with street noise, pick rooms not facing Ohio.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to ACME Hotel Company Chicago? Share your experiences!