“Cute Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ACME Hotel Company Chicago

You added ACME Hotel Company Chicago to your Saves list
ACME Hotel Company Chicago
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 East Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
3RD NIGHT FREE
Ranked #23 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Michigan
“Cute Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

There was much to like about this new hotel - we booked a king suite that looked out over Ohio Street and provided a nice view of the Hancock Tower. The living room included a small fridge and a microwave/wet bar. The TV had dozens of channels, and the wifi was reliable. The glowing lips nightlight was awesome, and the bathroom itself was well-stocked and clean. The bedroom provided us with a very comfortable king-sized bed.

The only downsides to this property are ones already mentioned by other reviewers: 1) there is no valet; we took a little transponder and parked our car in a nearby garage; 2) the noise from the hallways, while infrequent, was certainly audible; 3) the heating unit was LOUD.

When we checked in the manager was answering calls on a walkie talkie, and frankly, we did not exactly feel welcomed. However, aside from that, all of our interactions with the staff were great.

I found this experience to be one step below my experiences with Kimpton properties in Chicago, but I'm glad that I tried out the Acme, and I would consider staying again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brent H, Director of Sales at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hello chatto,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are glad you enjoyed the room and the lips on the mirror (a personal favorite of mine). We apologize for not making you feel welcome at check-in. Even while busy, guest's are our #1 priority and there is no excuse for the reception you received at check-in. We have taken your comments into consideration and are working to reduce noise pollution for our guests. We will definitely welcome you back with open arms next time you are in Chicago.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Polish first
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We made reservations at the Acme because the location was perfect. December in Chicago means shopping and dining and there are a ton of places within walking distance. We purposely booked a small room because we go to Chicago to spend time out and about, not looking at a strange painting over the bed. The Acme had a fantastic rate for such an area. My wife, who is a total clean freak, found the room and bathroom to be immaculate. The staff was always polite and helpful. In fact when we checked out one of the managers, Jennifer Cunningham, sincerely asked about our stay and what they could do to improve. Our reply, "Don't change a thing." Great hotel, great staff, great location!

Room Tip: Speak directly to Jennifer and tell her your needs. She will do everything to make sure you have a g...
Hi NPeach,

Thanks for staying at the ACME Hotel! We're glad we passed your wife's cleaniless standards. Thanks for your high praise of our staff as well. Jennifer says to come back soon!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

While I live in the Chicago burbs, I enjoy a night here and there downtown when I can enjoy drinks and dinner with friends and not worry about driving home late at night. When Groupon offered a deal for the Acme hotel (a boutique hotel which is designated 4 stars), one night that included parking (rare for any downtown hotel!) I bought it, particularly because I could use it at the holidays. A few days prior to arrival I was sent a cleverly worded email detailing all particulars regarding hotel and what I could expect during my visit. Their PR department is fantastic! Parking is self-park, but the indoor lot is directly next door to hotel. This hotel, in an older building, has been refurbished with a very hip and modern interior. A very clean appearance as soon as you enter. Check in personnel were extremely welcoming and friendly. I was told about the "Knock and Drop" breakfast offer, $5 for your choice of 3 meals (none are hot though), as well as the complimentary "Morning Joe" delivered in a thermos to your door at your desired time. Although there are many great breakfast eateries within walking distance, I wanted to see what you get for five bucks so I opted for the Stuffed Ham and Cheese Croissant that arrived, very fresh, with a plentiful cup of fresh fruit, yogurt cup and 16 oz bottle of fresh squeezed orange juice all in a brown paper bag alongside my coffee and newspaper! I designated 7:00 and there was a soft knock at the door on the dot. I wanted to tip the delivery person, but he or she had slipped away just like that! The room I had, on the 8th floor, a regular king, was stylishly decorated in appealing color tones and delightful surprises, also very clean. The bathroom was all new with an awesome rain shower head and pressure to match. The bed was super comfortable with luxurious linens. I would compare the bed and bedding to the 5 star hotels nearby. The room size, while on the smaller side, was adequate and thoughtfully laid out. No view to be had outside window unless you like to look at cinder block construction on the neighboring building 10 feet away, but that said, it was a very quiet night. None of the street sounds I have experienced elsewhere. My room was located a room down and across from elevator banks, but I was not disturbed once. However, with the ice machine closet across the hall, I did hear a couple guests help themselves at night. On the lower level is a brand new exercise room, very cool! Also on this level is a unisex sauna and whirlpool, also very well done! It appears that a lounge/cafe is being constructed at the hotel as well and my brief look into the work looks as though it will be a perfect amenity. There is a comfortable TV lounge and meeting room on the second floor too. I felt that it was a terrific value, and although I used Groupon I did see in previous reviews that guests received similar offers when booking directly with the hotel or with other online discounters. I will definitely return.

Stayed December 2012
Hello marys530,

We're glad you found us through the Groupon promotion. Our rooms have been recently renovated with brand new furniture. Our second floor is our 'living room' area, complete with board games and a TV, and meeting space if needed. Our lounge and bakery will be opening up in the spring, so be sure to come check us out then! Thanks for the review.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked this hotel via TD Travel Rewards-Expedia. The thing that initally attracted us to this hotel was the location and the price. It was clear through Expedia that a hotel near Magnificient Mile was going to cost an arm and a leg. ACME was the only one that was reasonably priced. We paid $78/night and an additional $29/day for parking (includes in and out privledges). The hotel is very clean and boutique like. The hotel room was also very spacious. The staff are very helpful and efficient. The hotel offers pool/workout area but we never used it. The hotel also offers free coffee/hot water and tea in the lobby 24/7. There is a coffee run done by the staff every morning. You can decide the time that you want coffee delivered to your room and it is delivered in a thermos.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brent H, Director of Sales at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Hi Christina Y,

We're glad you found us and yes, we are surrounded by many great restaurants, bars and shopping locations right in the heart of downtown Chicago. If you're looking for excitement outside of downtown- (and there is plenty of that!) -we are located right around the corner from the CTA Redline, as well as many bus stops that will take you to all ends of Chicago. Our morning joe service was so popular, we decided to do the same service for breakfast! Look forward to you staying with us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

After living in River North for three years, I moved to Denver. My frequent returns to Chicago have given me the opportunity to experience lodging in the area. I booked the Acme during the second week of December. Location is probably best in Chicago. Staff very accommodating (even expecting my arrival!), quirky and fun decor, very quiet and comfortable room and bed, loved the chalkboard on the door. Great option for breakfast, coffee 24x7 (hot AND good); bar and small restaurant coming soon. Room well equipped with wet bar and microwave. I absolutely loved it, and have booked again for Christmas. If you want a flashy lobby, go to the big guys in the neighborhood, but why bother: you can just walk there from here. Top shelf!

Room Tip: I liked the double queen room. You don't really need a city view; all you're going to do her...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brent H, Director of Sales at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Hello Jadfly,

While we're upset you moved away from this great city, we're glad you keep coming back! It’s people like you that make this city so great. Thanks for all the great words regarding our property and we’re thrilled you’ll be back again for a Christmas visit! Check out the progress on the Bakery and Lounge that are going in when you come back at Christmas, you can see things beginning to take shape if you go up to the second floor living room area. Thanks again!
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

After a stay at another dreadful Loop-area hotel last spring, I was holding my breath this time. Fortunately, the many positive TripAdvisor reviews of the Acme Hotel were on target. It's a great value, perfectly located, and clean. Free coffee was delivered in a thermos to our room each morning at whatever time we specified. The bed was extremely comfortable and the staff members were friendly and professional. The overall feeling and decor of this place is a bit whimsical -- perhaps a little youth-oriented, but plenty hospitable to seniors.

All that was enough to make me an enthusiastic patron, but, depending on how picky you are, you might find want to consider the following points (which could be negatives to some folks):

-- Some rooms may have views, but ours had none; the opaque window shade masked a plain brick wall that no one except Bartleby the Scrivener would want to contemplate.

-- Space is limited; the floor in our room was pretty much taken up by the king-size bed and a small table with seating for four people. There was a place to hang some clothes on one wall, but there was no closet and no luggage rack.

-- The shower/tub doesn't have a moveable curtain or partition; there's a glass pane that covers half of the tub, making it difficult for non-contortionists to adjust water temperature from outside the tub.

-- There's a dispenser for purchased cold drinks, but no refrigerator for general use.

-- The three breakfast offerings ($5.00) are satisfactory but unexciting, and despite the descriptions, there's not much difference between two of them (both of which include yogurt, juice, and a fruit cup, but one includes a croissant).

-- Caveat to travelers with children: On a table by the bed there were several bags of snacks, attached to some kind of inventory control system. If you pick up a bag without reading the advisory notice attached to the dispenser, you will have inadvertently made a purchase.

None of those points was a deal-breaker for me. My experience was very positive, and the Acme Hotel would be high on my list for accommodations the next time I visit Chicago.

Hi MichiganBanjoMan,

We're glad you chose the ACME Hotel Company for your stay on this occasion and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're delighted we could live up to your expectations. In regards to the points you made, all of our suites as well as our city-view queen rooms have great views of the city facing north of Ohio Street. All of our rooms have mini-bars offering a variety of beverages, and our suites and rooms with double queens also have mini-fridges in the room for guest use. We appreciate your comments on the breakfast options, which will be greatly expanded when our Bakery opens in a couple of months. Meanwhile, we are now offering free breakfast to anyone who books on our website. Thanks for placing us high on your list and we look forward to having you back!
Mentor, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Excellent Hotel It is an Old Chicago Hotel that has be updated completely ( was the old comfort inn) Good WIFI Room size for a standard king is 200 sq feet. Small compared to newer hotels. You can get larger rooms. paid 1167 per night for the room Booked directly with the hotel They have a good app for smart phone Located on Ohio st 2 blocks from Mi AVe. Great location rooms quiet. Interior rooms have windows, but no view Just a hotel core overlooking other buildings.. ( Old Tokyo Hotel ) Will stay again. If yoyu want larger room, book suite.. They are 2 rooms together with a wall removed.. double the space and 2 TV's

Hello jack t,

Thanks for the review. We just went through the process of fully renovating and changing the hotel with the goal of making our rooms more comfortable and up-to-date with all of today's technologies. Our suites are very spacious, with a living room area to entertain guests as well as a great view of the city. Glad you found the free app handy and easy to use. Look forward to seeing you next time you're in town.

Been to ACME Hotel Company Chicago? Share your experiences!