“Great Value and Location” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added ACME Hotel Company Chicago to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
ACME Hotel Company Chicago
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 East Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel packages
Special Rate
Stay 2 Save Green!
Ranked #23 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Michigan
“Great Value and Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

After a stay at another dreadful Loop-area hotel last spring, I was holding my breath this time. Fortunately, the many positive TripAdvisor reviews of the Acme Hotel were on target. It's a great value, perfectly located, and clean. Free coffee was delivered in a thermos to our room each morning at whatever time we specified. The bed was extremely comfortable and the staff members were friendly and professional. The overall feeling and decor of this place is a bit whimsical -- perhaps a little youth-oriented, but plenty hospitable to seniors.

All that was enough to make me an enthusiastic patron, but, depending on how picky you are, you might find want to consider the following points (which could be negatives to some folks):

-- Some rooms may have views, but ours had none; the opaque window shade masked a plain brick wall that no one except Bartleby the Scrivener would want to contemplate.

-- Space is limited; the floor in our room was pretty much taken up by the king-size bed and a small table with seating for four people. There was a place to hang some clothes on one wall, but there was no closet and no luggage rack.

-- The shower/tub doesn't have a moveable curtain or partition; there's a glass pane that covers half of the tub, making it difficult for non-contortionists to adjust water temperature from outside the tub.

-- There's a dispenser for purchased cold drinks, but no refrigerator for general use.

-- The three breakfast offerings ($5.00) are satisfactory but unexciting, and despite the descriptions, there's not much difference between two of them (both of which include yogurt, juice, and a fruit cup, but one includes a croissant).

-- Caveat to travelers with children: On a table by the bed there were several bags of snacks, attached to some kind of inventory control system. If you pick up a bag without reading the advisory notice attached to the dispenser, you will have inadvertently made a purchase.

None of those points was a deal-breaker for me. My experience was very positive, and the Acme Hotel would be high on my list for accommodations the next time I visit Chicago.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brent H, Director of Sales at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Hi MichiganBanjoMan,

We're glad you chose the ACME Hotel Company for your stay on this occasion and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're delighted we could live up to your expectations. In regards to the points you made, all of our suites as well as our city-view queen rooms have great views of the city facing north of Ohio Street. All of our rooms have mini-bars offering a variety of beverages, and our suites and rooms with double queens also have mini-fridges in the room for guest use. We appreciate your comments on the breakfast options, which will be greatly expanded when our Bakery opens in a couple of months. Meanwhile, we are now offering free breakfast to anyone who books on our website. Thanks for placing us high on your list and we look forward to having you back!

629 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
Mentor, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Excellent Hotel It is an Old Chicago Hotel that has be updated completely ( was the old comfort inn) Good WIFI Room size for a standard king is 200 sq feet. Small compared to newer hotels. You can get larger rooms. paid 1167 per night for the room Booked directly with the hotel They have a good app for smart phone Located on Ohio st 2 blocks from Mi AVe. Great location rooms quiet. Interior rooms have windows, but no view Just a hotel core overlooking other buildings.. ( Old Tokyo Hotel ) Will stay again. If yoyu want larger room, book suite.. They are 2 rooms together with a wall removed.. double the space and 2 TV's

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello jack t,

Thanks for the review. We just went through the process of fully renovating and changing the hotel with the goal of making our rooms more comfortable and up-to-date with all of today's technologies. Our suites are very spacious, with a living room area to entertain guests as well as a great view of the city. Glad you found the free app handy and easy to use. Look forward to seeing you next time you're in town.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here for one night for convenience purposes of being close to work the next day. The location was great! Very convenient close to the red line and near a lot of entertainment, and very easy to get to the Loop business area.

I thought this hotel was pretty cool. I didn't explore much of it but it had fun decor and everything was up to my standards. I don't understand people who write terrible reviews of places due to one speck of dirt. There was a rusted tile in my bathroom shower, but that isn't going to ruin my stay......

Let's see, not sure if this is practice, but check in was easy, my room was guaranteed until midnight so I appreciated that. I had a paper at my front door in the morning, and could have received coffee service if desired. I didn't get a chance to really explore a lot of the hotel - I basically used it as a place to sleep and shower for one night.

I had not ever heard of this place before doing a search for rooms for the evening. I would definitely come back and stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hi dancem30,

We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Next time you're with us, be sure to explore the fitness center with sauna and whirlpool, as well as our restaurant and lounge which will be completed in Spring 2013. Thanks for taking the time to write this review!
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

New boutiques keep popping up in Chicago -- each one trying to outdo the other in edginess and hipster street cred. On both counts, the ACME is formidable.
Although it's located in the decidedly un-edgy commercial zone between River North and the Magnificent Mile, where chain restaurants dominate and Starbuckses proliferate, the ACME has a very high cool quotient.
Upon entering the hotel off Ohio St., the check-in desk is immediately to your right through a sliding glass door. My check-in was quick and efficient, with the desk clerk explaining some of the quirks and options available at the hotel, including a (very good) $5 breakfast delivery option.
A short hallway leads to the rear lobby area, which looks more like a bar area, where hot coffee is always available.
My room, a king single, was relatively small, but seemed more spacious than at some of the other Chicago boutiques I've stayed at, including the Felix and the Lincoln. It featured a large wall-mounted HD television and an excellent multipurpose work table with uber-comfy lounge chairs. The plush, sumptuous bed was a joy to sleep in.
ACME makes good use of the limited space available in the rooms by eliminating a clothes closet. A panel on one of the walls holds clothes hangers, along with the ironing board and an ACME Hotel robe. There are a couple of snack machines in the room, including an electronic snack tray (don't pick anything up if you don't want to pay for it) and a little fridge with beverages.
The bathrooms are also very cool, with a glowing red lipstick print on the mirror serving as a nightlight. There are plenty of thick, plush towels, and good bath products. My only gripe with the bathroom is that the half-length glass guard on the shower does not prevent water from getting on the floor.
Cool quirks abound at ACME, including the chalkboards on all the room doors for leaving messages and canvass murals that replace the standard paintings on the walls. Coffee is delivered to your room in a metal thermos every morning at the time you request. And the breakfast option is a very good value -- for $5 I got a ham & swiss croissant, orange juice, yogurt and a fruit cup.
Wi-Fi access is included with your room rate and the connection speed is excellent. There's an HDMI connection at the desk so you can view your content on the television screen if you want to. My 17-inch laptop fit in the in-room safe without a problem.
The walls in the hotel are on the thin side, so you can hear noise from other rooms and the hallway - not a big deal to me but it could bother a light sleeper. Also, housekeeping didn't get to my room until about 3 p.m., so don't be surprised if you return to your room at lunchtime and find it the way you left it.
The ACME is located on Ohio, right at State Street, very close to Nordstrom and the Bloomingdales home store. The neighborhood is heavy with hotels, restaurants, shops and so on, most of them being of the chain variety.
For transit purposes, the hotel is a short block from the CTA Red Line's Grand/State station, and several bus lines stop nearby.

Room Tip: Standard kings are cheaper, but the views are terrible (walls). If you want a better view, it will c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brent H, Director of Sales at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Hello michiganmarlon,

We'd like to think that we outdo other boutiques, but that would be bragging...so thanks for doing it for us! It's easy to get peace-of-mind with our new 46" HD TV's with Apple and PC connections. It's even easier to get a good night's sleep in our new beds. The latest addition to ACME is our Bakery and Lounge which will be finished in the spring. Take care and thanks for your review!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at the Acme hotel for two nights recently as part of a business trip. I was initially impressed with the location of the hotel as it is only a few minutes walk from North Michigan Avenue, however there was a lot I didn't like about the Acme Hotel.

The room was tiny, there was a dirty wall right outside my window meaning it was dark and depressing even with the blinds up, the air heating/cooling was so noisy it was unbearable making it unusable, the fridge made a loud buzzing noise that kept me awake at night, a member of staff (not the maid as she had been already) tried to enter my room one evening for some unknown reason - thankfully I had the chain on as I was getting changed, the decor was cheap and tacky, the walls are so paper thin you can hear everything in the next room (including bodily functions) and also the frequent loud creaking/squealing noise of the elevator. The price of long distance phone calls was extortionate and there was nothing by the phone to warn you of this. One of the staff members was also quite unpleasant, although a couple of the others (including Karl on the door) were very nice and helpful. I am sorry to write this as I don't usually write reviews but my experience at the Acme hotel was not a good one and I sorely regret staying there.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at the Acme hotel I would try to get one of the rooms with a city view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Claire T,

I would like to apologize for not living up to the ACME standards for your stay with us. We have taken your comments to heart and are constantly working on ways to make our guests experience great. While we do offer free local and toll free phone calls, international calls are charged based on distance and time of call. Thank you for your great comments on Karl who entertains and informs our guests from the moment they arrive to the time they leave. We hope you'll give us another chance to amaze you the next time you find yourself in Chicago.
Sao Jose Do Rio Preto, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Awesome, the best location in Chicago. Friendly staff, good breakfast, near dowtown, wifi free. Perfect for single travelers or couples. You can leave your luggage, they take care of it. I bought a seven day metro ticket, but the hotel was so close of everything that I rarely use it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Brent H, Director of Sales at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Hello LucasBovo,

Thanks for describing us as awesome! We understand that it's easier to explore the city when you don't have to drag all of your luggage with you everywhere. This is why we offer luggage storage for free. As you discovered, we are so close to all major attractions here in Chicago. Take care and come see us again!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here 11/02/12 - 11/05/12 and we only have kudos for this hotel . Spotless unique room , courteous staff and fabulous area for a family to stay. Only 2 blocks from Michigan Ave , it is close enough for the vibe of Magnificent mile and yet quiet for families to get the best sleep at night. Breakfast included was a plus ! Planning our next trip there :)

Room Tip: city view king suite was wonderful to see the skyline at night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi Kim N,

Thanks for the kudos! Our housekeeping works tirelessly to make sure our rooms are clean and welcoming to all our guests. Our staff understands how confusing the big city can be, and accommodates accordingly. We now offer our “Knock and Drop” breakfast service to compliment the free “morning joe” delivery, 3 great options to choose from, the “Artist”, a Breakfast Baguette, the “Man in the Moon”, a Stuffed Croissant with Ham and Cheddar, and our very own “Wild Child”, a Granola Parfait for only 5 bucks a person! Can't wait to have you back with us!
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to ACME Hotel Company Chicago? Share your experiences!