New boutiques keep popping up in Chicago -- each one trying to outdo the other in edginess and hipster street cred. On both counts, the ACME is formidable.
Although it's located in the decidedly un-edgy commercial zone between River North and the Magnificent Mile, where chain restaurants dominate and Starbuckses proliferate, the ACME has a very high cool quotient.
Upon entering the hotel off Ohio St., the check-in desk is immediately to your right through a sliding glass door. My check-in was quick and efficient, with the desk clerk explaining some of the quirks and options available at the hotel, including a (very good) $5 breakfast delivery option.
A short hallway leads to the rear lobby area, which looks more like a bar area, where hot coffee is always available.
My room, a king single, was relatively small, but seemed more spacious than at some of the other Chicago boutiques I've stayed at, including the Felix and the Lincoln. It featured a large wall-mounted HD television and an excellent multipurpose work table with uber-comfy lounge chairs. The plush, sumptuous bed was a joy to sleep in.
ACME makes good use of the limited space available in the rooms by eliminating a clothes closet. A panel on one of the walls holds clothes hangers, along with the ironing board and an ACME Hotel robe. There are a couple of snack machines in the room, including an electronic snack tray (don't pick anything up if you don't want to pay for it) and a little fridge with beverages.
The bathrooms are also very cool, with a glowing red lipstick print on the mirror serving as a nightlight. There are plenty of thick, plush towels, and good bath products. My only gripe with the bathroom is that the half-length glass guard on the shower does not prevent water from getting on the floor.
Cool quirks abound at ACME, including the chalkboards on all the room doors for leaving messages and canvass murals that replace the standard paintings on the walls. Coffee is delivered to your room in a metal thermos every morning at the time you request. And the breakfast option is a very good value -- for $5 I got a ham & swiss croissant, orange juice, yogurt and a fruit cup.
Wi-Fi access is included with your room rate and the connection speed is excellent. There's an HDMI connection at the desk so you can view your content on the television screen if you want to. My 17-inch laptop fit in the in-room safe without a problem.
The walls in the hotel are on the thin side, so you can hear noise from other rooms and the hallway - not a big deal to me but it could bother a light sleeper. Also, housekeeping didn't get to my room until about 3 p.m., so don't be surprised if you return to your room at lunchtime and find it the way you left it.
The ACME is located on Ohio, right at State Street, very close to Nordstrom and the Bloomingdales home store. The neighborhood is heavy with hotels, restaurants, shops and so on, most of them being of the chain variety.
For transit purposes, the hotel is a short block from the CTA Red Line's Grand/State station, and several bus lines stop nearby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stylish Downtown Chicago Hotel. The brand new ACME Hotel Company in downtown Chicago offers a modern hotel experience with stylish decor, a high-tech vibe, affordable rates and so much more.Located 2 ½ blocks from the Magnificent Mile in the River North neighborhood, ACME is downtown Chicago's all new boutique hotel alternative.If you appreciate an eye for design and dig a high-tech vibe, you'll feel right at home. We'd like to call ourselves cool, or hip, because we are, but that just feels like bragging. But mostly, ACME is what we consider approachable - in more ways than one. The fact is, we want your experience at our downtown Chicago hotel to blow your mind, not your budget. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, BookIt.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Venere, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your ACME Hotel Company Chicago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Comfort Inn And Suites Downtown
- Comfort Inn Downtown
- Comfort Inn Chicago
- Chicago Comfort Inn