“Kewl.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ACME Hotel Company Chicago

Save Saved
You added ACME Hotel Company Chicago to your Saves list
ACME Hotel Company Chicago
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 East Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 171 Hotels in Chicago
Detroit, Michigan
“Kewl.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

New boutiques keep popping up in Chicago -- each one trying to outdo the other in edginess and hipster street cred. On both counts, the ACME is formidable.
Although it's located in the decidedly un-edgy commercial zone between River North and the Magnificent Mile, where chain restaurants dominate and Starbuckses proliferate, the ACME has a very high cool quotient.
Upon entering the hotel off Ohio St., the check-in desk is immediately to your right through a sliding glass door. My check-in was quick and efficient, with the desk clerk explaining some of the quirks and options available at the hotel, including a (very good) $5 breakfast delivery option.
A short hallway leads to the rear lobby area, which looks more like a bar area, where hot coffee is always available.
My room, a king single, was relatively small, but seemed more spacious than at some of the other Chicago boutiques I've stayed at, including the Felix and the Lincoln. It featured a large wall-mounted HD television and an excellent multipurpose work table with uber-comfy lounge chairs. The plush, sumptuous bed was a joy to sleep in.
ACME makes good use of the limited space available in the rooms by eliminating a clothes closet. A panel on one of the walls holds clothes hangers, along with the ironing board and an ACME Hotel robe. There are a couple of snack machines in the room, including an electronic snack tray (don't pick anything up if you don't want to pay for it) and a little fridge with beverages.
The bathrooms are also very cool, with a glowing red lipstick print on the mirror serving as a nightlight. There are plenty of thick, plush towels, and good bath products. My only gripe with the bathroom is that the half-length glass guard on the shower does not prevent water from getting on the floor.
Cool quirks abound at ACME, including the chalkboards on all the room doors for leaving messages and canvass murals that replace the standard paintings on the walls. Coffee is delivered to your room in a metal thermos every morning at the time you request. And the breakfast option is a very good value -- for $5 I got a ham & swiss croissant, orange juice, yogurt and a fruit cup.
Wi-Fi access is included with your room rate and the connection speed is excellent. There's an HDMI connection at the desk so you can view your content on the television screen if you want to. My 17-inch laptop fit in the in-room safe without a problem.
The walls in the hotel are on the thin side, so you can hear noise from other rooms and the hallway - not a big deal to me but it could bother a light sleeper. Also, housekeeping didn't get to my room until about 3 p.m., so don't be surprised if you return to your room at lunchtime and find it the way you left it.
The ACME is located on Ohio, right at State Street, very close to Nordstrom and the Bloomingdales home store. The neighborhood is heavy with hotels, restaurants, shops and so on, most of them being of the chain variety.
For transit purposes, the hotel is a short block from the CTA Red Line's Grand/State station, and several bus lines stop nearby.

Room Tip: Standard kings are cheaper, but the views are terrible (walls). If you want a better view, it will c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brent H, Director of Sales at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Hello michiganmarlon,

We'd like to think that we outdo other boutiques, but that would be bragging...so thanks for doing it for us! It's easy to get peace-of-mind with our new 46" HD TV's with Apple and PC connections. It's even easier to get a good night's sleep in our new beds. The latest addition to ACME is our Bakery and Lounge which will be finished in the spring. Take care and thanks for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at the Acme hotel for two nights recently as part of a business trip. I was initially impressed with the location of the hotel as it is only a few minutes walk from North Michigan Avenue, however there was a lot I didn't like about the Acme Hotel.

The room was tiny, there was a dirty wall right outside my window meaning it was dark and depressing even with the blinds up, the air heating/cooling was so noisy it was unbearable making it unusable, the fridge made a loud buzzing noise that kept me awake at night, a member of staff (not the maid as she had been already) tried to enter my room one evening for some unknown reason - thankfully I had the chain on as I was getting changed, the decor was cheap and tacky, the walls are so paper thin you can hear everything in the next room (including bodily functions) and also the frequent loud creaking/squealing noise of the elevator. The price of long distance phone calls was extortionate and there was nothing by the phone to warn you of this. One of the staff members was also quite unpleasant, although a couple of the others (including Karl on the door) were very nice and helpful. I am sorry to write this as I don't usually write reviews but my experience at the Acme hotel was not a good one and I sorely regret staying there.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at the Acme hotel I would try to get one of the rooms with a city view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Claire T,

I would like to apologize for not living up to the ACME standards for your stay with us. We have taken your comments to heart and are constantly working on ways to make our guests experience great. While we do offer free local and toll free phone calls, international calls are charged based on distance and time of call. Thank you for your great comments on Karl who entertains and informs our guests from the moment they arrive to the time they leave. We hope you'll give us another chance to amaze you the next time you find yourself in Chicago.
Sao Jose Do Rio Preto, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Awesome, the best location in Chicago. Friendly staff, good breakfast, near dowtown, wifi free. Perfect for single travelers or couples. You can leave your luggage, they take care of it. I bought a seven day metro ticket, but the hotel was so close of everything that I rarely use it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Brent H, Director of Sales at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Hello LucasBovo,

Thanks for describing us as awesome! We understand that it's easier to explore the city when you don't have to drag all of your luggage with you everywhere. This is why we offer luggage storage for free. As you discovered, we are so close to all major attractions here in Chicago. Take care and come see us again!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here 11/02/12 - 11/05/12 and we only have kudos for this hotel . Spotless unique room , courteous staff and fabulous area for a family to stay. Only 2 blocks from Michigan Ave , it is close enough for the vibe of Magnificent mile and yet quiet for families to get the best sleep at night. Breakfast included was a plus ! Planning our next trip there :)

Room Tip: city view king suite was wonderful to see the skyline at night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hi Kim N,

Thanks for the kudos! Our housekeeping works tirelessly to make sure our rooms are clean and welcoming to all our guests. Our staff understands how confusing the big city can be, and accommodates accordingly. We now offer our “Knock and Drop” breakfast service to compliment the free “morning joe” delivery, 3 great options to choose from, the “Artist”, a Breakfast Baguette, the “Man in the Moon”, a Stuffed Croissant with Ham and Cheddar, and our very own “Wild Child”, a Granola Parfait for only 5 bucks a person! Can't wait to have you back with us!
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed at the Acme over Thanksgiving weekend. If you are driving, the hotel is easily accessed off the I-94 Ohio St exit & has convenient parking with in/out privileges nextdoor. If you won't have a car during your stay, the hotel is at the intersection of State & Ohio, so you are also steps away from the CTA Red Line (which runs under State St).

Pros: Great location, unique stylish experience without breaking the bank, helpful staff, easy self-parking, complementary coffee service delivered to your room in the morning.

Cons: I can't believe a place that seems to cater to a young, hipster / Euro tourist crowd doesn't have recycling! Suggestion box: management, please follow the lead that I have seen in other major cities & consider adding a small recycling bin for glass/aluminum/plastic in your rooms. Also, rooms have iPhone4-friendly speakers, but you'll need an adapter as of 11/2012 to use your iPhone5 with the equipment.

Room Tip: If a view is important, get a king suite & ask for an upper floor. If not, be prepared the small...
Hello Scott Z,

Thanks for choosing us for your Thanksgiving weekend and for your suggestion. Our hotel offers modern comfort for an affordable rate. We do have iPhone 5 adapters at the front desk available for guest use. Thanks for your review!
LO, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Flew into Chicago just for a few days to get my son packed up for his move to L.A. Had to rent a car to move boxes and thought it would be a pain to get in and out of the parking garage but Acme Hotel gave me a transponder upon check-in and I just had to wave it at the sensor to get in and out - easy as pie and no ticket needed! Plus the charge for parking was reasonable ($29 a day - can't beat that in a big city!). Loved the urban/trendy feel of the hotel; wi-fi worked great; bed and pillows were comfortable; had coffee delivered in the mornings in a thermos and even took the thermos with me one day when I had to leave early - so very convenient and the thermos kept the coffee quite hot (yes, I brought the thermos back); location is close to several restaurants and a grocery store; loved the king suite I had with the separate living area; took advantage of the complimentary coffee/tea offered throughout the day on the main level. A couple of things I did not have time to check out were the breakfast and the fitness room - maybe next time. Everyone working at the hotel was pleasant and helpful. Overall I had a great stay! The Acme Hotel is now one of my top 2 hotels in Chicago!

Hi nnl,

We're happy to hear we could ease the pains of moving for you! Our parking rates are among the best in the city, with full in-and-out privileges. The 'morning joe' coffee delivery service is very convenient and the best part is its FREE! Next time we have you here be sure to get a look at the fitness center, complete with a whirlpool and sauna. The breakfast is our very own “Knock and Drop” service, that’s right, we knock…..and drop your breakfast right at your door for only 5 bucks a person, no more fumbling around for loose change for tips, or trying to get that ACME Robe tied around you before rushing to the door!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed in the suite and it was excellent. Modern, clean and spacious. It was great to have the separate kitchen/lounge area with sink and microwave.

Awesome location - the supermarket a few minutes walk away, good restaurants and bars/clubs close by. Easy walk to the Magnificent Mile.

The staff were fabulous - friendly and helpful. We got stranded in Chicago due to Hurricane Sandy so had to extend our stay. The staff were great.

They even have a laundry in the basement - much needed and appreciated!

Only down side, was the breakfast - but I think this is an American thing. We had to use disposable plates, cutlery, cups.... I much prefer the real thing. However, ordering a thermos of coffee to be delivered to your door each morning was a treat.

Keep up the fab service! I would definitely stay there again. Everyone at the front desk (including Karl and the maintenance guys) made a difference.

Room Tip: The suites are fab as they have a view and a separate lounge/kitchen. Not sure about the other rooms...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello Joss8,

Glad you enjoyed your stay here with us! Our location puts us in the middle of everything you could possibly need during your visit. Our breakfast is now a 'knock and drop' service, similar to our “morning joe” coffee service. Now you don't even have to leave your room for a bite! Karl and the maintenance guys appreciate the shout-out and we'll be looking for you the next time you find yourself in Chicago.

Been to ACME Hotel Company Chicago? Share your experiences!