“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

You added Sofitel Chicago Water Tower to your Saves list
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Chestnut St - Downtown, Chicago, IL 60611 (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #11 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

When we entered our room, we noticed a bad odor coming from the ventilation. (It smelled like burning dust or plastic. I called an explained the situation, and they sent up a housekeeper who sprayed a super sweet deodorant into the room. This didn't help, and I called and asked for a different room. The front desk said they were full, but after going downstairs to the front desk, we walked through 4 rooms that had the same odor! We had to get ready for a dinner so we just stayed in the last of the 5 rooms we saw. It was amazing that they said they were full, though! The room was extremely dusty, and I think the rooms we were shown hadn't been used in some time. Maybe that's why they smelled so bad. For almost $400 a night, I would have expected a better and cleaner room. I stayed at the Sofitel in NY, and it was nice. I won't be staying at a Sofitel again any time soon.

• Stayed August 2014
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Bonjour Takingatrip18,
First of all, please let me thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor further to your stay amongst us earlier this month.
It is very disappointing for us to learn when one of our guests is not fully satisfied with his experience. I was too surprised that our Front Desk agents gave you two different explanations as we always do our best to accommodate our guests at the earliest. I have noted your comments on the rooms, and hope to be able to eventually determine the one you occupied. Please rest assured that I will follow up with my team concerning your experience. I sincerely apologize.
Should we have the opportunity to have the pleasure of meeting you on your next trip to Chicago, we will do our utmost to ensure that you receive the expected value.
Yours sincerely,

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Korean first
CO KERRY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

From the smartly turned out doormen who greet you on arrival, to the concierge (apologies to OB as I have lost your name pronunciation) and reception, you know that the standards of the hotel are very high. OB was particularly helpful in advising me of the best way to travel on the subway to O'Hare International and even had a printed card showing the route. Very impressed and I did a trial run but figured my case was too bulky to chance it. (All the shopping)The housekeeping staff was also very efficient and kept the room to a very clean standard. The nightly two bottles of water were also a nice touch. Once again you made my stay in Chicago very memorable and a great thanks to you all. The beds are fantastic and I will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Bonjour SNOWDROP252,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay here at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am so pleased by the headline you chose.
I am very happy to see that you had such a `memorable' time here at our magnifique property, and that you were so very comfortable in our world-renowned Sofitel Mybeds. Thank you as well for pointing out the sensational service provided by Osbaldo and our housekeeping team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.
Yours sincerely,

Grayslake, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stayed with my wife on a busy Saturday night and not only was the hotel extremely clean, but the staff was friendly and helpful. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and, for a sold out hotel, I never heard anything but one random door slam. I will absolutely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Bonjour Jeff L,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review concerning your recent stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I am glad that you enjoyed every single feature of our hotel, may it be the cleanliness of our hotel, the great service provided by our staff or the comfort of our famous Sofitel MyBeds.
I hope to welcome you again in our property the next time you come to Chicago,
Kind regards,

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The rooms are quite big. The beds are very comfortable. The bathroom is clean and big. The amenities they leave in the bathroom are very complete and nice. I love the smell of the gel and body milk. Breakfast is huge, better to share.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Bonjour MGutierrez26,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your nice feedback with us on TripAdvisor. Indeed I was delighted to read how much you were pleased with your guest experience. I was also glad that you were satisfied with the size of our rooms and bathrooms. It means a lot to us that you mentioned having liked our French bathroom amenities by Lanvin and Hermes.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.

delhi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The location of the hotel is good 2 minutes from hankok building and the shopping district.
Rooms are a bit small though as I selected the 2 queen size beds and me and my son and my wife and daughter both had problems adjusting.

Toiletries provided by loccitane were a treat.

Room service food was OK. I could believe that they didn't have a club sandwich on there menue but the chef was kind enough to whip up one for me.

We paid 600 usd for 3 nites excluding taxes. And in total paid 800 usd which I felt was little on the higher side.

Hope my review helps yyou guyss plan your beautiful vacation.

Oh by the way coniarge service of the hotel is fantastic and they know the city and happenings very well

Do count on them.

• Stayed July 2014
Bonjour buntysoni,

Thank you for your generous comments on TripAdvisor following your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am so pleased that your family and you took advantage of our very convenient location.
The size of our rooms is among the largest in downtown Chicago, and I sincerely regret the fact that it didn't meet your expectations. Should you prefer a larger room, it will be our pleasure to reserve a Junior Suite or a Prestige King Suite for your next stay with us, at the best available rate.
I am glad that you found our concierge team `fantastic', helpful and knowledgeable. This is very important to us and we are very proud of them.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We're here for 2 nights and first night was fine as we checked in late. however, the second night was brutal as my wife's dust allergy triggered and all out plans got stalled. The room service was covered in dust and upon complaining we're given all sorts of lame excuses by the hotel manager and when all those excuses were debunked, she started apologising and offered complimentary breakfast if we stayed one more night on our own expense. Really? I was not ready to pay $300 for staying another day for the their fault. And now the negotiation started - first pay 50% and the pay 25% of that day's tariff...really??? Is that what's expected from a world class hotel? I felt like I was speaking to someone in a shady motel and negotiating for a deal...and upon mentioning that I will be sharing this my experience online....I was advised by her that threatening her won't help. Is sharing your experience online with others the same thing as threatening someone?

Based on this experience, I decided to pay more and stay elsewhere than stay at this hotel for the third. At checkout, I was asked by the gentleman there whether i needed any help. And, upon narrating my sour experience to him, all I heard was an apology after each line of my narration.

I would never ever stay nor recommend anyone to stay at this hotel in unless you want to experience customer service equivalent to cheap 3rd class service expected from a cheap budget hotel/ motel, and hear only apologies for their mistakes and no proper action is taken for their mistakes.

• Stayed July 2014
Bonjour canadmin,

I thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your visit at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
Please allow me to express once more my apologies for the inconveniences your wife and you encountered during your stay. Please rest assured that this is not typical of our standards of service. Upon arrival, we were made aware of your request for deep cleaning the room and we did our best to honor your request. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. We have shared your comments with the team in order to prevent future occurences.
Our relationship with our guests is of paramount importance to us. I hope that you will grant us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Business meeting at upscale hotels has been a thing much missed, but the Sofitel was a great way to see chicago. Corner rooms looking at the navy pier and the miracle mile, large rooms surrounded by glass were a de stressor from the start. Elevators respond by pushing the floor at the call point, it inside the elevator, so waits are kept,to a minimum, and there is no miltiplemstoosmifmyounaee on a high floor. Bathrooms had separate shower and tub, and large sink area and counter, in room lights closet, safe, and comfortable bed, recliner, couch let you spread out, and the work desk was large w close plug ins. The was an inner hallway from the outside, keeping hall noise to a minimum, but I did need my white noise machine for the street noise. Staff was friendly and helpful, and the turndown service left Swiss chocolates on the pillow.
Comfortable bed and pillows, Gym was large and well supplied. Meeting rooms were large and quiet. Food was a let down as the. Edge tables were all overlooked, but the other items were cooked better, and even the oatmeal,for breakfast was well made.
Would enjoy staying here again.

Room Tip: Definitely want to face miracle mile and navy pier