“Awesome Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Chicago Water Tower to your Saves list
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Chestnut St - Downtown, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Escape Package
Ranked #16 of 169 hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
“Awesome Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

First timer in Chicago and the hotel was the best stay ever! Being downtown, we were able to walk a few blocks for food, fun, and excitement. The staff was excellent in making us feel welcome and in referring us to great places to visit. On top of all that, the price for staying in such a luxury hotel was affordable and the best deal in town. I will keep this hotel in my books for future visits!

Room Tip: Rooms were spacious and I loved the bathroom setup as well.
Green Features: I felt spoiled by people holding the doors for me, bringing the car quickly when needed, and having such nice service at the restaurant too.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Bonjour Selma Z,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay last March at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.

I am glad that you and your friends enjoyed your rooms and bathrooms.
It was a real pleasure to read your kind words about the helpfulness of our staff. Thank you for highlighting the details which made you felt even more welcomed.
I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed staying in the heart of Chicago, so close to the Magnificent Mile and beautiful Lake Michigan.

Thank you again for your kind comments. I look forward to seeing you soon.
Best Regards,

2,385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

The charm and the professionalism were in evidence the moment we descended form our cab after a two our wait at passport control (chaos) and a fruitless search by United for a lost case ( It still has not appeared). Our room, on the 28th floor, was a haven of tranquility with a stupendous view of the Hancock Center and the Lake. The service was excellent - concierge Peter arranged for an appointment at a local walk--in clinic to get a prescription for some drugs lost in the case, which saved us a lot of time, money and worry. Hotel bars can be a disappointment, but not 'le Bar' which featured craft beer ( a fine Californian IPA) and delicious cocktails. Breakfast in the hotel is also to be recommended. What else? Unlimited free coffee and tea and a copy of the Chicago Tribune in the morning and minutes from N. Michigan and the lake, but what really made the place perfect was the staff. They even allowed me to check out late because I was feeling unwell. If you hit the Windy City you gotta stay here.

Room Tip: Be sure to reserve a room in the upper floors with a view of the John Hancock Center and the lake.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bonjour bonviveur1789,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a beautiful review of your recent stay here at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff contributed to make your experience `perfect'.
Thank you for your kind comments not only about our spectacular views from the rooms, but also about our outstanding Concierge team; you can rest assured we have recognized our Concierge Peter for his outstanding service. I am also pleased to see that you took advantage of our delicious beers and cocktails at Le Bar and breakfast at Cafe des Architectes. You are so right saying that our central location is such a convenient place to explore the city of Chicago.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower in the very near future!

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

On our recent trip to Chicago I went straight to our local offices and my wife went to check in at the hotel. It was about an hour before check in so she was told her room was not ready, but to walk around awhile and they would call when her room was ready. About two hours later, cold and tired she went back to the hotel where the lady said she "forgot" to call when the room was ready.
The next morning my wife lost her room card and credit card. A nice lady found the cards on the street and called the hotel, left her name and number and said she would drop them by the hotel. We stopped by the desk several times but they could not find the cards. Management reviewed the security tapes and verified that the conceirge received the envelope and opened it. He said there was just a room card in the envelop so he threw it away. Who opens an envelope with the guest's last name on it and throws it away? Why did the lady call to say she found the room card and credit card, leave her name and number then deliver an envelope with just the room card? The front desk and general manager in phone follow up defended the concierge's actions. Unfortunately, that credit card had many of our automatic payments linked to it, so it was a hassle to get a new one. Not the level of service one would expect.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Bonjour Ja C,

I thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor following your last stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I am honored that you chose our hotel for your recent business trip in Chicago.

Nevertheless, I am deeply sorry to read that your experience has not been in keeping with your expectations, and that you had to face the unfortunate situation to lose your credit card and had to cancel it while traveling to Chicago.

I totally understand that you find the situation somehow unintelligible. However there are several steps we take to protect guest property and follow our Lost and Found protocol. As mentioned by the kind lady who found your valuables, the envelop was supposedly containing the lost credit card, but none was found. It is our policy to place any such important item at the security office into the safe until it is claimed. Also hotel room keys would have been cancelled, and to ensure guest safety and security, new keys would be made at the front desk upon request and with a photo ID to validate that the person requesting the key is in fact the registered guest.

Guest’s belongings and personal safety and security are paramount and we, at Sofitel take it very seriously. Please do not hesitate to let reach out to me should you chose to plan a future visit, and we will do our utmost to reverse the impressions you had during your recent visit.

Staying at your entire disposal,

Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I spent a solo long weekend here at the end of March. This is a lovely hotel located minutes away from shopping, dining and sightseeing. It also has very easy access to the subway, which I used often while I was there. Check-in was a breeze and the gentleman who helped me out was very pleasant. My room was large and very comfortable. Like so many others have said, I LOVE your beds. After arriving relatively late on a rainy evening I decided to get room service for dinner (I ordered the steak frites). My order came quickly (the lady who delivered it was absolutely lovely) and the food was delicious.

While I enjoyed my stay there a few "quirks". First, each time I walked by the "doormen" outside, whether entering or exiting the building, I barely got a nod of recognition despite making eye contact and smiling at them. Second, upon check-out (for which I was early, by the way) it was as though the gentleman at the desk couldn't get rid of me fast enough. He handed me my invoice without much more than a "thanks", and when I started reading through it, he asked if I wanted an envelope in a tone that seems a little annoyed at the fact that I was checking it over. I had to ask whether the charge was going on the card that I gave at check in (I assumed it would but it would have been nice to hear it rather than getting the "well? What are you waiting for?" look).

While neither of these things ruined my stay, they did stick out to me. I have stayed at other Sofitel locations and have never been treated like I didn't exist or was being pushed out the door.

I visit Chicago several times a year and will give the Sofitel another chance the next time I am in town, as the pluses definitely outweighed the minuses.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bonjour bobcajun,

Thank you so much for your outstanding posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay.

I am genuinely touched to see that you had such an enjoyable time with us, and that you were so very comfortable in our world-renowned Sofitel Mybeds. Thank you as well for pointing out our perfect location just one block away from the Magnificent Mile. Your kind comments have been shared with our entire team and we have recognized the receptionist who checked you in and our room service server for the outstanding service they provided.
I am most embarrassed that you had faced some `minuses'. I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience.Your feedback has been shared with our Front Office Manager, so that heighten awareness is directed to the issues you mentioned concerning our door and front desk staff.

I really look forward to seeing you soon.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

From the moment of check-in to unfortunately having to leave, the entire experience was superb.

Pros:
- Location, location. Chicago is obviously big and diverse... but everything you want is within a block or two (friendly bars, all forms of restaurants, supermarket, Hancock Tower, Lamborghini dealership :)
- Room quality. Excellent super comfortable beds, marble bathroom. Though it was a standard size room, the floor to ceiling mirrors on one wall added to dimensions.

Cons:
- No coffee maker in the room. Free coffee and newspapers in the restaurant... but still had to get dressed and go downstairs :)

Stayed on a weekend in March (not exactly high season), and the price was excellent value for the money... highly recommended !!

Room Tip: Pick a smaller "high floor" room over a "suite" when both are similarly priced.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bonjour TravelinMan314,

First of all, allow me to thank you for the comments you shared on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us in March.
I was truly happy to read that you have been able to enjoy every aspects of your stay from your arrival to your `unfortunate' departure.
It was particularly wonderful to read you were pleased by the location and rooms of the hotel.
Your point regarding the coffee and tea served at the restaurant have been duly noted. I noticed that you requested in-room coffee service. We do have coffee makers available upon request.
If there is anything we can do in advance of your next stay with us that will make your experience more positive and enjoyable, please do not hesitate to let us know.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower soon.

Spring Hill, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed there for a quick business trip. The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly. The food at Café des Architectes stole the show! I had one of the most enjoyable dinners there. The food was amazing - I would have licked my plate clean if it had been acceptable - and the wait staff was so accommodating in making my evening truly special.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Bonjour Teri C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your business trip amongst us.
Both kitchen and restaurant teams were over the moon with your comments on your dinner at Cafe des Architectes. Our Executive Chef, Greg Biggers, was very pleased by your review.
I also appreciate your nice comments regarding our rooms and the wonderful work done by our Housekeeping department.
All in all it was just very thoughtful of you to take the time to share with these dedicated readers.

Looking forward to a return trip,

Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I was there for a business meeting. Everything about the hotel was wonderful, clean, friendly and helpful staff. Meeting rooms are very nice. The catered food for the meetings was probably the best I've had at an event. The pastries were divine and from what I was told the pastry chef is one of the up and comping top 10 in the country.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Bonjour Kimberlee66,

Thank you for your posting on TripAdvisor regarding your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. You were very generous with your comments, and I very much appreciate that you found the overall staff “friendly and helpful”. I will share your review with all the team and particularly with our Banquet department.
I am happy that you consider our food as `probably the best I've had at an event'. Glad as well you experienced our fabulous pastries. Our Pastry Chef Leigh Omilinsky just won the Jean Banchet Award for Pastry Chef of the Year!

I hope to hear from you soon!

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Been to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower? Share your experiences!