“Honeymoon Special” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

You added Sofitel Chicago Water Tower to your Saves list
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Chestnut St - Downtown, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #13 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois, USA
“Honeymoon Special”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

When I reserved the room I mentioned this was out honeymoon. I was disappointed the hotel did not recognize my bride on this special occassion. When the room was cleaned, the ice bucket was never cleaned or changed. Also, we were not given wash cloths for two people.

For a hotel of this stature, I was really expecting more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear jetorgerson,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am sorry to hear that your Honeymoon was not acknowledged during your stay, as we always recognize special occasions for our guests. I have sent you a private message via Trip Advisor so that I can get some more information about your stay and find out what might have happened. Please accept our apologies for the oversight.

I hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the very near future.

Nicolas Pesty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Korean first
Rural Virginian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had a wonderful stay here in Chicago. I bid on Priceline and was thrilled to win this hotel. It is nicer than places we usually stay and it was nice!

If you regularly stay at this caliber of property, my review won't help you much as I can't compare it to other similar hotels.

If you just want to know if this is a good place to stay in Chicago? Well, it is!!

We arrived very early on Saturday, pre-checked in and stored our bags until our room would be ready. We planned on not returning to the room until the evening when preparing for our day. Patrick, the front desk clerk, was welcoming and gracious. A quick stop at the concierge for a map (also welcoming) and we were on our way out to explore Chicago.

The location of the hotel was great. About a block and a half from an "L" stop (Chicago red line), close to bus stops, and close to plenty of dining. We walked to the Art Institute in about 20 minutes. Very close to the "Gold Coast" for a stroll into a beautiful historic area.

When we checked in the room is nice. Big bathroom with lots of light (I will never look as good anywhere as I looked in that Sofitel bathroom mirror); robes, slippers, big fluffy towels. Nicely scented toiletries. There's a magnifying mirror as well. The bed was comfy (pillows were too fluffy--I know that it shows guests that the pillows aren't worn out but lately any hotel we stay in has pillows so plump I awaken with a stiff neck!). The room was spacious enough not to feel cramped with a desk and lounge chair as well. It was very quiet even though we had been informed that the hotel was at 100% capacity that night.

We were in room 815. The view was nothing special but it wasn't bad, either.

The hotel lobby is nice. Plenty of sofas, lit with candles in the evening, and the ambiance is pleasant. We didn't eat in the restaurant or drink in the bar.

Only negative is one that is pretty standard at this caliber hotel, which is that they charge $14.99 for internet after the free first 24 hours. I expected this, so no biggie as I have a hotspot.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear schlegel1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of a great rate on Priceline.com. We do offer a level of complimentary Internet access to all of our guests, and I am sorry that this was not explained to you on arrival. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the near future.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have stayed here before and tried to change things up this trip by staying at the Public. After two days at the Public, we checked into the Sofitel because we have always enjoyed our stay here before. This time was no different. Everyone is very friendly and this hotel is on top of their game.

Dear Alisa B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago. We are very glad to know that you have enjoyed staying with us and that you plan on coming back again. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our property in the very near future.

Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel for one night over Memorial Day weekend. We had sailing lessons on Sunday and Monday, so decided to stay in the city rather than drive back and forth to our house in the suburbs. We booked the hotel through Priceline and thought our stay was well worth the price we paid. The lobby area is very beautiful and chic and check-in was quick and efficient. Our room was on the 21st floor and it had a west facing view. The view was nothing great, but this didn't matter to us since we are from Chicago and weren't going to be in our room much anyway. The room was clean and well appointed with a very comfortable king size bed. It is not an overly spacious room, but it is a city hotel and I've never stayed in a huge room downtown. The marble bathroom is a very nice size (separate tub and glass enclosed shower) and had great scented toiletries (reminded me of the mandarin scented ones at the Ritz Carlton).

We didn't eat at the restaurant at the hotel though it did look very inviting and I know that it receives good reviews. We walked two blocks to Mike Ditka's for dinner (typical Chicago steakhouse fare - we enjoyed it). We were wiped out from a day on the water and didn't go out after dinner, but Le Bar at the hotel also looked nice for drinks. For breakfast, if you don't want to eat at the hotel, there are numerous restaurants within walking distance. We ate next door at Tempo and I would recommend it for great egg skillets (huge portions though).

Speaking of hotel location, it is situated in a great area of the city. It is on a quiet street, but fabulous shopping, dining and nightlife are all a quick walk or cab ride away. A quick note about parking: I saw a sign stating that valet parking is $55/24 hours. (I know, parking in the city has gone up an obscene amount over the years...) However, my husband and I parked at a Standard Parking Garage that is literally next door to the hotel. The 24-hour rate was $37.00. Not a huge savings, but I'll pocket the close to $20 to carry my own overnight bag a short distance.

In conclusion, we had a great time in the city and I would definitely stay at the Sofitel again.

Dear JMBC,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your Memorial Day stay with us at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and especially our excellent Gold Coast location. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower on 2 occasions while on business - and I have only great things to say about this hotel. The Sofitel has a pleasant European charm to it (French particularly), and even though it is a luxury hotel in the downtown core, it still feels comfortable, just like home.

On my most recent stay during the Memorial Day long weekend, upon checking in, I was greeted to the fact that I had been upgraded to a room on a higher floor with a beautiful view of the city. Overall, great hotel in a great location close to all the main attractions downtown, including the famous "Magnificent Mile".

Room Tip: If possible - request a room on a higher floor, the view is so much better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear cshard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of a complimentary upgrade to one of our upper floors. We look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay in the near future!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our first time staying at the Sofitel in Chicago and they didn't disappoint us. We were on the 31 floor overlooking the lake side of the hotel. It was beautiful! The rooms were very similar to the other Sofitel's we have stayed at in New York, Washington DC and Philadelphia. I love having a separate bath and shower. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. I wish all the rooms had Hermes products but they are only available in the suites. The hotel staff was very professional and helpful. We had breakfast each day in the Cafe des Architectes restaurant and also enjoyed dinner since we were given a 25% off coupon from breakfast. The dinner was truly AMAZING!

Dear David M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed Sofitel Chicago as much as other Sofitels that you have experienced, and that you were able to take advantage of a beautiful view of Chicago from one of our upper floors. Thank you for complimenting our hotel, staff and in particular our restaurant. Please rest assured that I have shared your review with our Executive Chef, Greg Biggers. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Chicago in the near future!

Hamilton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at Sofitel Water Tower Chicago over Memorial Day weekend with our daughter in order to visit a couple local colleges. The location is a couple blocks off Michigan Avenue but still super convenient. My husband & I had previously attended a couple work functions here but had never stayed there. The room, though a bit on the small side, was well appointed & the bathroom was plenty roomy with a separate tub & shower. There was plenty of storage space, which is handy when you have 3 people in the room!

We ate breakfast at Cafe de Architectes each morning we were there. The food was very tasty & the service was great!!

The only negative that I would note is there didn't seem to be a store in the hotel where you could get water, snacks, sundries, etc. We drink a lot of bottled water & simply picked some up while we were out & brought it back with us. The mini bar had a good selection, we just hate to pay the prices for those items.

I would definitely recommend the Sofitel if you want to be close to the action on the Mag Mile!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear bkpeters,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. Regarding your comment about a gift shop, our Concierge does carry some complimentary sundry items, and they also sell a small selection of gifts and souvenirs. I am sorry that this was not explained to you upon arrival.

Our relationship with our guests is of utmost importance to us. We are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower very soon.

Nicolas Pesty

Been to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower? Share your experiences!