“In true French style” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

You added Sofitel Chicago Water Tower to your Saves list
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Chestnut St - Downtown, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive 15% Discount!
Ranked #13 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“In true French style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

As a Sofitel Platinum Member you are treated very well at this property. We received a very well appointed room upgrade, complimentary drink cards, and a welcome gift at check-in. Last time I stayed here is was back in 2003 and things have not changed in a positive way. Same awesome rooms and service. Hermes products in the suites folks, it can't get any better than that if you know your hotel products like I do. We scored one of the best hotel rates on Sofitel.com. $140/ngt. I was going to be stupid enough to have stayed at the Peninsula Chicago for $400/ngt and instead I switched over to the Sofitel last minute when I found this rate and cannot regret my decision for one moment. I received first class service and accommodations for a fraction of what I would have paid at the Peninsula. The breakfast in the morning while it was not included in the room rate wA very well worth it and this is something that I would highly recommend to anyone who is staying here. I will return again and again to this property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Bonjour! Thank you very much for your review. It is always a pleasure to hear from one of our Platinum members, and we are thrilled to know that after almost a decade away, your return to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower exceeded your expectations. Thank you for pointing out that as a member of our Le Club loyalty program, you have access to all of the best rates available on Sofitel.com in addition to upgrades when they are available. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your suite and your breakfast in our Cafe des Architectes. It is especially rewarding to know that you will be coming back to stay again. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property soon!

Nicolas Pesty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

As always, our stay at the Sofitel was excellent. I had needed to change our reservation and Marie Trani was extremely helpful in assisting me. We had a corner room which gave us more space and the shower area was huge. The king bed made for a great nights sleep. Check in was smooth and the valet service was prompt. Location is great and we were able to walk to our restaurant and Michigan Ave. shopping.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your quiet corner room and that you slept so well while staying with us. It is a pleasure to know that our Front Office Manager, Marie Trani, was able to assist you and accommodate the change to your reservation. Thank you for complimenting our hotel and our staff! We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel in the near future.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

What a marvelous staff and what a marvelous hotel! Last week, I had the great pleasure to stay in this beautiful hotel for the first time in order to attend a conference. I could only stay for two nights, however, not one member of Sofitel's staff could have been kinder, or more helpful to me during my stay. From the moment I arrived, everyone made me feel so welcome and so important, as though I were entering their home as a very honored guest, always greeting me warmly with a genuine smile, asking me how everything was and did I need or want anything. My room was ready, early as promised. It was a wonderful, comfortable room with a pretty view overlooking the small park across the street and the lights on the trees which were all decorated for the holidays, with lots of storage, a large desk on which to work and a nice, comfortable chair and ottoman in which to relax. The bathroom was sumptuous with plenty of lovely, thick towels and elegantly scented toiletries. I loved the wonderful shower! I didn't hear a sound either night until my wake-up call rang. My flowers were such a lovely touch!
Everyone at le Café des Architectes was wonderful, always happy to see me, always friendly and helpful, stopping by my table to ask how I was and to see if I needed anything. I never ran out of delicious bread, my water glass was quickly refilled and I always had plenty of hot tea, coffee and wine just to my liking, each different. It was fun to come and choose from the menu. So many tempting choices! I had difficulty choosing every meal - breakfast, lunch and dinner! The setting was nice. I enjoyed watching passers-by walking down the street and all the activity of the city.
The conference was excellent on Friday. The Avignon room was the perfect size for our group and was pleasant and comfortable. We enjoyed lots of refreshments and sweets and also had a nice coffee break in the afternoon, before we resumed our work.
Check-out was very simple and quick. I had made reservations with the shuttle to take me back to the airport for my return flight and had an assigned pick-up time. When I arrived at le Café des Architectes for breakfast, I made the staff aware of the situation and was assured that I had plenty of time. They were great! I enjoyed a wonderful meal and my leftover rolls were placed into an elegant brown box for me to enjoy at the airport as I waited for my flight.
Check-out was quick and efficient. Michael brought down my bag from my room and then came out into the pouring rain to help put my things in the shuttle and help me get into the van.
I had such a wonderful experience staying at this elegant hotel last week. The exceptional staff welcomed me and made me feel so much at home, as though I were a member of their family. They made my stay such a memorable experience that I can hardly wait to come back again!

Room Tip: Book your room with a travel agent who is familiar with the area, join the hotel's rewards progr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Bonjour! Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt so pampered and welcomed by our staff. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback about our hotel and our service. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with our entire staff, including our bellman Michael whose gallantry never goes unnoticed by our guests! Thank you again for your review, and we hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have become a fan of the hotels in the Sofitel chain. I like the modernistic architecture, the brightness and comfort of the guest rooms, the exceptionally helpful service, and the dash of continental seasoning that enlivens the mix. The Sofitel Chicago Water Tower has all these characteristics plus an ideal near north location that places it within easy walking distance from the city's best shopping, restaurants, entertainment, and recreation. The hotel is only 20 minutes from home, so we really have no need to stay there. We do it because it is unique, refreshing, and fun - in other words, because being there feels like being on vacation. Vive la difference!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoy staying with us often despite living just 20 minutes away. We couldn't agree more - a stay at Sofitel is the perfect refreshing escape no matter how far you travel! Thank you for complimenting our hotel's architecture, decor and exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Reasonably comfortable hotel with amazingly central location to Michigan Avenue! Friendly staff and reasonable service. Internet states its free but had trouble with server for almost 48hrs. Make sure you ask for a coffee maker in room and they'll deliver a Keurig Machine with pods to room. Plenty of eateries and shopping within 2-5 mins walk. Recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
Nicolas_Pesty_GM, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your second stay with us and that you were impressed with our service once again. Please rest assured that we have shared your comments with our entire staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back for a third stay in the very near future!

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is the second time we stayed at SOFITEL - CHICAGO and once again, Sofitel consistently delivers excellent service at every level! If you like to be treated very well, Sofitel is the place for you. Their room service meals taste more like gourmet meals from the top chefs! The rooms are very clean and quiet. We traveled with 2 kids ages 6 and 8 and they loved Sofitel as well. SOFITEL - CHICAGO DELIVERS GREATNESS AGAIN! THE BEST!

Room Tip: You will be very pleased with SOFITEL - CHICAGO!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that your in-room dining experience was so positive. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the near future!

Gilroy, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night to party in the city. I chose it because of the price and location. The hotel lobby is really nice and great ambiance. The staff speaks basic french which is entertaining. We checked in with ease. The room was nice with a decent view. The room was a little dirty. We had a wet spot on carpet and the robe had black hair and a brown spot on it. Our room had both a tub and shower. The bed was supposed to be a King, but it was a European King. We were on top of each other all night long. The breakfast at the restaurant had really great staff, but the food was cold and dry like it had been just sitting there and it was expensive for what it was. If we stay in Watertower area again I would try a different hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. Your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the issues that you mention with your guest room. It looks like our Housekeeping team was not up to standard during your stay, and we regret your disappointment. Please rest assured that we have taken the appropriate measures to address this with our team in order to prevent any future occurrence. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel in the future.

Been to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower? Share your experiences!