“very refined with its own character” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

You added Sofitel Chicago Water Tower to your Saves list
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Chestnut St - Downtown, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Magnifique Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“very refined with its own character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here late September for a convention.

The location is excellent in my view, just a couple of minute's stroll along E Chestnut to Water Tower Place and Magnificient Mile/ John Hancock Tower. The quirky look of the building helps if you lose your bearings.

Check in was smooth and efficient.
My room on 9th floor was roomy, the bathroom spotless and the complimentary shampo etc was replaced quicker than could use it!
The bed was comfortable.
A Big Plus here was the free wi-fi. I have a" thing" about higher range hotels charging for this, and I was very pleased that Sofitel delivered. (Are you listening Fairmont and Intercontinental?).
As mentioned I was at a conference, so most of my dining was either off site or in the special delegate rooms. All good, but as a result I did not get to use the restauarnt facilities.
The bar was like most hotel bars, gets noisy and probably not cheap, but the staff were friendly efficient and used to coping with the numbers.

Would I recommend it?
Yes. The price was a bit higher than the Fairmont I stayed at a few weeks previously, even with the delegate discount, but this is a classy hotel, and the location combined with the excellent staff -everyone was willing and able to help with any requests- would make this an easy choice.

Dislikes? None really, but I was surprised that there was no beverage maker in the room- after 2 hours stuck in passport control and static traffic into town I was dreaming of a "cuppa". The only time I have found this before was in New York. The free wi-fi makes up for this.

Particular likes: Due to the timing of my flight home I asked to hold on to my room until1 o clock. this was done no problem.

Room Tip: 910 has a great view of the Hancock Tower.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HotelManagerOffice, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated the complimentary wi-fi service that we now offer to all of our guests. We are also happy to place a coffee maker in your guest room upon request. Thank you for recommending us! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Korean first
Chicago - USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Approaching the building you are overwhelmed by the modern architecture that has come to define the Chicago skyline. Entering the hotel you are equally overtaken by the warmth of a classical French hotel. The staff is there to greet and assist you by the time you're within 5 feet of the entrance. The rooms are spacious...the bedding in fine French linen. The bathroom accesories are top of the line and plentiful...displayed in a beautiful woven basket. The televisions in the room are all Hi-def flat-screens, 35 - 50 inches in the rooms...15-20 inches in the bathroom. The fruit basket from the front desk was excellent...room service superb. When visiting Chicago it's all about location. The Sofitel is located right in the heart of The Magnificent Mile, just a short walk to the famous Water Tower shopping complex. This hotel is spectacular!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor - facing the lake. Incredible views!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Didnt really know what to choose when booking in Chicago but this proved to be a great hotel. The rooms are nice and well appointed. The staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurant and bar are a bit pricey but you get that with hotels. The location may not suit everyone but if the golden mile is where you want to be then this is the place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Fuentes de Andalucia, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Excellent location for this hotel, the area is one of the best in Chicago.
Our room was nice and had good view. The staff is friendly and helpful. A bit expensive but worth the price.

I would recommend this place for a short or long stay in Chicago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was my first time at Sofitel and I stayed 4 nights. The design is very cool to look at from outside, and inside is nice as well.
The service is polite and helpful, etc, etc...

The room, not so impressive. Not to say wasn't nice but, I expected more for what I paid. It was rather small and didn't seem to be sound proofed very well as I was able to hear even the slightest noise from above. The bed was comfy though, no complaints there, and the room had heat and a/c that worked very well. The bathroom was nice as can be seen in various pictures, but not as big as expected. It worked just fine though. Water pressure in the shower was strong and temperature stayed wherever I wanted it to.

It may seem like I've only been negative about the hotel but the truth is, I really only have one complaint, and that's the internet! It's SLOOOWWW. Apparently the hotel only had 2 rooms available when I asked how full they were so, maybe high occupancy contributed to slow internet. However, my last stay in Chicago was at the Conrad in July, which was also booked solid but their internet was nice and fast. I tried connecting my laptop up to their hard-wired internet and saw no speed increase. Doing a speed test on speedtest.net gave me much less than 1mb up and down. It was impossible to watch any video on Youtube without having to to start and stop constantly, waiting for it to load.

Overall I'm giving Sofitel an average rating simply because I didn't feel that it was at the "very good" level. Maybe I was too pampered by the Conrad before...after all, Conrad IS a higher rated hotel here on TripAdvisor. Sofitel is nice, but I feel there are better hotels out there for the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerOffice, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are happy to know that you appreciated our hotel's architectural design and our ultra comfortable SoBed, and that you found our employees to be polite and helpful. Regarding your comment about the Internet speed, we thank you for your valuable feedback. While we do offer complimentary Internet access to all of our guests, we also offer higher speed Internet packages which allow more flexibility to download and view streaming video. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower very soon!
Norcross, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great hotel. Great location. I have not been to Chicago for a while and was traveling for work. I have meetings all over the city was nervous that it was going to be too far, but it was in a great location. The rooms were great and so was the service. Great bar area and patio. Bell service was a little slow getting bags since we were storing our luggage throughout the day and were in a hurry. But the hotel overall was great. Love the breakfast coffee bar and the front desk staff was very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in July/2012 only for one night since were driving through Chicago. We decided to take advantage of the location and do a little bit of site seeing. I made a dinner reservation at the Met Club at the Willis Tower; everything looked promising. We had a hard time getting to the hotel (GPS goes crazy in Chicago). An outrageous vallet- parking fee of $ 54/night was our welcoming to the Sofitel. The lobby is impressive; beautifully appointed. My wife loved it. Once in our assigned room. It didn't really wowed us. As a matter of fact, I was a bit disappointed because the window screen wouldn't roll up. Since we were staying only a night, and we were tired, we didn't complain. Other hotels, like in Miami, all these features are remote controlled. Although the Sofitel advertise many places nearby, not all of them are walking distance, like the Willis Tower, which we had to drive and paid parking again, $ 9/hr. We loved Chicago. I am tempted to say is the most beautiful city in the USA. We met some of the best polite, educated people in the nation. But I must say, Sofitel did not contribute to that love affair.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerOffice, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the city of Chicago and that you were impressed by our lobby. Although the Willis Tower is about two miles away from our hotel, we are less than two blocks from the John Hancock Center where you can also enjoy a cocktail and a meal while taking in the views of downtown Chicago and Lake Michigan. Thank you for your feedback about our valet parking rates. Unfortunately the parking options in downtown Chicago are very limited and come at a premium. The rates at the hotel are on par with the market and our nearby competitors. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower very soon!

Been to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower? Share your experiences!