“Superb stay, exceeded our expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Chicago Water Tower

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Chicago Water Tower to your Saves list
Sofitel Chicago Water Tower
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 East Chestnut St - Downtown, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Gloucestershire, England
“Superb stay, exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Following some unsettling correspondence prior to our arrival, we were a little anxious about our reservation here. However, we checked and double checked our A club account and indeed, the booking was clearly there. We've stayed here previously and so had a clear idea of what to expect - a fine, modern hotel in contemporary style, well located for the grand finale to our road trip. Nevertheless, when we checked in, our reservation didn't have all the information regarding our A Club membership and there remained some confusion. This minor irritation was soon resolved by an upgraded suite and excellent service until we checked out.

Our suite was very good indeed. Consisting of a bedroom, large bathroom with separate shower and WC, plus a comfortable sitting room with desk, all areas featured floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city. This made for a bright and airy feel and a spectacular viewing platform for the thunderstorm one evening! Though the whole suite was clean and well furnished, the carpet in the sitting room was pretty grubby with sticky patches - not somewhere I wanted to walk barefoot, for sure.

The bed was super-comfortable and cosy, the linens fresh and soft and there were more than sufficient towels in the bathroom. I loved the Hermes toiletries - the fragrance brings many happy memories!

The lobby is busy and as always in a Sofitel, the flowers are spectacular! We choose not to linger in the hotel however, and enjoy breakfast in Tempo just down the street.

Having checked out and requested our car, we joined a crowd outside on the pavement to wait...and wait. Clearly, there was a backlog of cars there which hadn't been collected, there was a traffic jam building up and staff were getting stressed. With a flight to catch, we were getting impatient (and we weren't alone). Our car was eventually brought round with profuse apologies and we drove away feeling a little sad that such a great stay had ended in this way. But Sofitel redeemed themselves almost instantly - by the time we reached the airport, we'd had a personal email apology with credit for our parking charge. All credit to Front of House Manager Marie Trani for not only managing a challenging situation but for following through so effectively.

I recommend the Sofitel highly and look forward to a return visit!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We couldn't have been happier with our stay at Sofitel. This was our last stop on a week long road trip - kind of felt like we saved the best for last. We arrived early since we didn't know what kind of traffic we would encounter coming into the city on July 4 - the best part is that they actually let us check in early. The level of service from everyone we encountered was wonderful. The location is perfect - everything seemed to be in walking distance even when it was 104 degrees! The room was beautiful with the bathroom being my favorite. Oh, and the handsoaps smelled wonderful - I had to take one of those home with me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Honest friendly staff and guests. Great location. Huge bathroom. Comfortable bed. I left my IPhone in the gym early in am and it was found and returned when I got back to hotel in late afternoon. Can't say how grateful I am!

• Stayed July 2012
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Although I live in Chicago my wife and I find any excuse to stay at this hotel. Well we stay at a Sofitel anytime we can. Staff is always professional and friendly. I love the dual greeting, first French and then English. The location is great. We rarely spend anytime in this neighborhood except when staying at the Sofitel. Cafe de Architects is one of the few hotel restaurants I consider going to while not a hotel guest. Having stayed at Sofitels around the world I can say they bake the best croissants outside of France.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

This was a great place to stay at in Chicago. The rooms, location, and service were all excellent. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel was an excellent place for my friend and I who were in Chicago for a long weekend. It is easily walk able from the magnificent mile, oak street beach and the night scene of rush and division. It is about a $10 cab ride after tip down to Milenium Park, Art Institute and Chicago cultural Central.

The lobby of the hotel is probably one of the nicest I have seen with a modern flare. It does a good job of being sleek and modern without being cold like many mod hotels are. The housekeeping staff is excellent and available twenty four hours a day for whatever needs you have. They even offered to run to Walgreens for us when we requested something they did not have. The bathrooms are lovely with a rainhead shower and a separate soaking tub. At least in our room, however, the doors to the bathroom are Asian and did not exactly dampen the sound, so beware of this if you're traveling with someone you don't know all that well. Awkward, but true! The bed is comfy, the views are good and the room is pretty decent sized for Chicago.

I got this room for a corporate deal of $300 and was pretty pleased all things considered. However, the nitty regular rate was $400, and even given the awesome lobby and good location, I would be surprised if you couldn't find a similar quality place for a bit cheaper. The room was excellent and clean, but for $400, I would expect better sheets, a more spacious rooms and higher amenities. So if you can get the right price, this is an amazing stay.

Helpful hint to other Americans, however. When you book, request a top sheet for your bed or you only receive th comforter as is European style!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
CAIRO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed with my family at the Sofitel Chicago two times in 15 days. On our first stay, we stayed five nights. The minute we arrived to the hotel, we were properly greeted by Michael, the bellman, who was extremely courteous and helpful. At check in, the front desk employee was very welcoming. She reminded me that I was eligible to a free upgrade from junior suite to a prestige suite, since I was the holder of Accor Platinum card. She located us in a very nice suite on the twentieth floor.
During our first stay, we truly enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The room was very clean, spacious, well lit, with a nice view, spacious bathroom and good entertainment options. Housekeeping was efficient and very professional. Breakfast was very nice and generous. On our first night we ordered some burgers in our suite, and I must say I had one the best burgers I ever had. The concierge was very helpful at all times. Laundry service was excellent and on time. The hotel management was on show on various occasions to attend to the guests.
On our second stay, the hotel was sold out and extremely busy. Our suite had a problem with the climate control installed in it, but the hotel moved us to another one really fast. Again, Michael the bellman, was extremely helpful, thank you very much Michael. Once again, our stay went really well. I believe that Sofitel Chicago Water Tower will always be my choice whenever I am in Chicago. Thanks Accor for this well managed property.

Room Tip: room 2008 and 1101