“This place is a dump” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #91 of 167 hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“This place is a dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

It is outrageous that this hotel received a 4 star rating by trip advisor. The only good thing about this place is cheap rates. But you get what you pay for.

Rooms are small and have window AC units which are as loud as the trains that roll past your room all night long. The decor is old and dreary. And the horrendous musty smell in the the place immediately envelopes you. There is no on site parking, guests are forced to walk a block to the public parking lot.

If all you need is a cheap bed and a shower, and can sleep through loud AC and trains rumbling by, then this is your place.

You couldn't pay me to stay there again

• Stayed October 2013
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I want to apologize for your experience falling short of your expectations. I realize this is of no resolve to you and I would appreciate the chance to speak with you further about your stay and how to redeem ourselves in the future. Please contact me directly at 773-404-3499 or via email at keith@broughtonhotels.com.

We appreciate hearing your feedback as an opportunity to improve our services and we hope to welcome you back for a more restful visit in the near future as our renovation of the entire hotel will be completed by the end of the year..

Broughton Hotels.

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Galveston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

If you are all about convenience and a great location for the price, this is the hotel for you. If you are all about pretty furniture and rooms with a view, this is not the hotel for you.

Yes the elevator is tiny. Yes the furniture, carpet, and décor is dated. It's an old hotel people!
If they upgrade all of these things, they will pass that cost onto the price of the rooms so enjoy the reasonable price for the excellent location alone. The train is steps away and I did not experience any train noise at all but it probably depends on which side of the hotel your room is on. Clark's is a 24 hour restaurant right across the street and even has a bar that's open during legal hours so if you are unfortunate enough to be in Chicago during some of their horrid weather conditions, the train and food and drinks are only steps away. I was here for a conference in April and froze most of the time with a few nice days in between.

I got a king suite and it was more than big enough for two people. They also have reasonably priced (for Chicago) parking a couple of blocks away if you have a vehicle but you certainly don't need a vehicle staying in this central location with great public transit and cabs.

I will warn you that the stupid wand stick thing that they give you to get out of the garage acts up and doesn't always work right, but again, I can't complain since I had a friend driving in to meet me so we needed a reasonably priced place to park his car.

Yes the breakfast is basic but we also got microwavable breakfast sandwiches and hard boiled eggs so it's not all bagels and cereal. I consider that more of a little bonus than anything. I don't expect free breakfast to mean eggs benedict. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance.

The only thing that annoyed me is that I had an early flight and I called and requested an early check in and they were not able to honor it which was not their fault of course. But I did find it annoying that my room was not ready until literally the 3:00 check in time and not a minute before.

Ben was more than happy to store our luggage until we could check in and was very helpful and accommodating throughout our entire stay. Brian was also excellent to us and they both provided great customer service.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the train noise if it bothers you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

I want to apologize for the experience you had staying with us. I want to assure you we pay careful attention to feedback such as yours as it allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities for our guest. I would like a chance to speak with you further about your stay and how we may redeem ourselves in the future. Please contact me directly at 773-404-3499 or via email at keith@broughtonhotels.com.

Beat Regards,

Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

upon checking in my sister and I were greeted by an unfriendly front desk clerk. We immediately noticed the odor that most likely came from the old carpet and furniture. The elevator only holds 3 people and moves at a snail pace. Walking down the hallway to our room you could feel the floor sink and hear it creek with every step. Upon entering the room we noticed a couch that belonged on a curb for trash pick up and the towels looked like they were used in a car wash. The air conditioning unit was a window unit from the late 70's and when we turned it on our room had a horrible smell and our noses became stuffed. We checked out, took the train to Michigan Ave and checked in at The Westin for the EXACT same price. I would not recommend this place to ANYONE

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the City Suites Hotel for your most recent trip to Chicago.

I am of course concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations and would like to assure you we pay careful attention to feedback such as yours as it allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities for our guests.

We are doing a full renovation of the hotel which will be completed by the end of the year. We would love for you to come back and see the changes. Please contact me at 773-404-3499 so I can arrange this for you.

We hope to welcome you back and restore your confidence in our hotel upon your next visit to Chicago.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights at the beginning of our trip around the States.

Initially I wasn't that impressed with our suite. I found it really dreary and depressing. The colours schemes were green and beige and some of the furniture in the living room area was a little dated. The bedroom was better though and more contemporary. The bathroom although it had character, was too old fashioned for my taste. Normally we stay in modern 4/5 star hotels, but in all honestly found the prices extortionate in Chicago this stay, so compromised and stayed at the City Suites.

The next morning, slightly less jet lagged, I could see the good points our room and the City Suites had. Once ingot my head around the decor etc, actually the space we had in our suite was great. It was great too to have separate rooms if one of us wanted to sleep, whilst the other one could watch TV in the room in the middle of the night jet lagged!

The breakfast was basic, but ample. It had bagels, cereals, yoghurts, coffee all day.

The location was great. It's in a really cool area with plenty of restaurants and bars - all small independents, no chains thankfully. We would stay in this area again. The hotel however is next to a train station. Unfortunately it's so close it feels that the train is going to come through your window.

I have only given a 3 star because it wasn't to my taste, plus it still wasn't even cheap. Just cheaper than the hotels I would normally have stayed in. But it is a very convenient, functional set up.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the side of the train station.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the City Suites Hotel.

We appreciate all forms of guest feedback , and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guest.

The entire hotel will be renovated by the end of the year and we hope you will give us another try so we can show you our new product that we are excited about and a chance to restore your confidence back with our hotel.

Warwick, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We initially had reservations at their sister hotel, The Willows, which is a few blocks away. When we arrived at the Willows, we were too early for check in. I just wanted them to hold our luggage until we were able to check in, but they were nice enough to get us a room at their sister hotel, City Suites and even gave us taxi fare to get there. City Suites is a 4 story, quaint hotel right next door to the Belmont train stop. It is an old hotel, but well maintained. The room was small, but perfect for our needs. The elevator is quite small--it says it can hold up to 3 people at a time, but even with 3, it was a little cramped. There is a free continental style breakfast in the morning and they leave out coffee and tea all day. It has a great proximity to a multitude of restaurants in the area as well. The only downside was we had a room facing the L train stop and you could hear the announcements from the train. However, with the air on in the room, it mostly drowned out that noise.

Room Tip: If you have the option, would not stay on the side closest to the L train stop, which is right next...
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I don't normally write reviews. As a musician currently on tour of the States and Canada, I have experienced a range of hotels and service provided. I arrived in Chicago having played in California and Detroit the previous 2 days. I had not slept for 48 hours and needed a bed urgently.

I was greeted by the nicest person I'd met on reception on this trip so far, and I've played a show in a different city each day for the last 2 weeks. My travel agent hadn't booked us in early, and in previous places where this has happened we had to sit in reception for 4 or 5 hours waiting for a room.

Brian who worked on reception went out of his way to try and find us a room so we could get some rest. It was amazing to see someone taking customer service to a new level compared to what I've experienced previously. I was so impressed by his professional yet very friendly conduct that I had to write a review.

The hotel itself is in a great location, and in my opinion fantastic value for money. The suites are large, and arranged in a way that you do feel you're in your own apartment, rather than an open space filled with a bed, table, tv etc.

Everything was clean and tidy with all I'd need provided.

I now plan to catch up on some sleep, and it sounds quiet in the area with no noise from other rooms/corridors.

I would definitely stay here again when I pass through Chicago!

If the manager ever reads this, your staff are amazing and thanks to Brian, what could have been a disaster of a day has turned into the opposite!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Cypress, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Upon checking in, I informed the front desk agent about going to Wrigley field and he gave me some very helpful information about the weather inside the stadium (wind) and to plan accordingly. I did not remember his name, but all staff were helpful and appeared to enjoy their jobs and took pride in their hotel. The hotel was extremely convenient while travelling through the city. We went to a Cubs game, and the hotel was less than a mile away. The hotel is right next to the train, so you can literally walk out of the hotel and be at the train within 2 minutes. The room was small, but clean, comfortable and everything we needed for our stay. The robes in the room were a nice touch as well. The room had a ceiling fan, so if you do not want to hear the air conditioner at night, or just prefer a fan instead, you can utilize that. Some have commented on the train noise at night. For me, this was not an issue. There is some street noise with the train and traffic, but not to the point where it keeps you up. Upon checking out, Our flight was out of Midway, so we just got on the train and went straight to the airport. During our entire trip, we only used public transportation and the hotel was in a convenient place for doing that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to City Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!