“Great Lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cantina Laredo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #483 of 8,382 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is a very nice spot. The building is amazing we walked past once because it did not look like a typical Mexican restaurant. The dining area is very open but because of the high ceilings a little on the loud side.
Waiter that we had was exceptional very friendly and interested in our questions and how well we enjoyed our experience and the food.
Menu is varied and the selections all have a unique approach to conventional Mexican fare. We did try the guacamole made at the table and both agree that it needed more flavors. Our entrees were really good. Fish tacos for my wife and a special pulled pork sandwich for me that was delicious.
Prices are a bit high for lunch but if you skip the guacamole it is much more reasonable. I really enjoyed this place and will come back again on another visit to Chicago

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
“Random pick for lunch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stopped at this place after seeing the Saturday brunch option though I didn't end up ordering it. The tables are decorated with a bowl of lime and avocado. Beware: this is used to sell the guacamole but not before they any mention that it's $10. I fell for it but it really was good stuff! It's made at your table by a lady with a cart and is customized for your heat preference. Chips and two salsa options are served for free. I really liked the lighter salsa which had a great kick of spice.

I ordered the chicken enchilada and loved it. I really like this place's twist on Mexican food. The enchilada was made with the chicken, spinach and cheese topped with a verde sauce, marinated shredded cabbage and tortilla strips. The sides were zucchini and rice. Delicious.

My husband had the shredded pork sandwich tipped with an egg over easy, goat cheese and apricot jam. It was humorous to watch him eat this as it can't really be eaten like a sandwich- way to messy. It was so tasty though. I'd pack a bib and give it a try next time!

Pleasant staff and overall good service.

Toronto
“Good Mexican in a "Mexican town"...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Okay, so people could ask why you should trust a recommendation... what does a Chinese-Canadian know about Mexican food. Well, we lived in a Michoacan/Oaxacan neighbourhood in Chicago for 7 years, ate their food and shopped in their grocery stores, so I think I know a bit. And this was good solid Mexican without the kitsch. we were entertaining friends and it was a near perfect night as food was on the table from the time we sat until just about the time we left - 2.5 hours. Chips come out first and fast, guacamoles made at table side, lots of nice mains - I would have liked to have shared more - the Mole fragrance wafts over the whole table when it comes, the carnitas was about the softest tastiest pork shank I have ever had. Great looking and perhaps overly huge desserts (how bad can a dessert be when the worst you can say is that it was too big). I had bits of three and though the brownie was the most dramatic in the flamed hot pan, and the tres leches cake was super rich, the no holds barred best was the flan (creme caramel). drinks were good, though I like my mojito a little sweeter and could have asked for it to be changed, but did not. Noise is not bad - for Saturday night in Downtown / Hotel alley Chicago.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Unique twist on Mexican cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Absolutely fresh and delicious! Reasonable lunch prices and decent portion sizes all with a great ambience and setting.

Grosse Pointe Woods
“Great Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Not authentic but great combinations of ingredients with impressive flavors. Table-side guacamole was really good. Nice ambience albeit a bit noisy.