“Thin Walls” 2 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago Lakeshore

You added W Chicago Lakeshore to your Saves list
W Chicago Lakeshore
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   644 N Lake Shore Dr, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #73 of 176 Hotels in Chicago
New York
“Thin Walls”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Great view. Good service upon check-in. Hotel tries hard to be super trendy and largely succeeds with a cool vibe. But stayed there twice now - the walls are super thin. Heard the elevator the first time and the 2nd: my neighbor's TV all night.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I held my company event there for a trade show and got a block of 15 rooms and it was great at a great price! We all stayed there and had a great time coming back from the trade show and going to the bar which was happening at night with good electronic music.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I'm a regular at the W Hotel chain all over the world, and like many business travelers, I put up with the weird lighting systems in the room (multiple switches, things still glowing), the blaring music, the random doors and mirrors all over the room, etc. I do however expect a certain level of service that was sadly not evident during a recent stay at the Lakeshore. Issues included:
-server mixed up mine and a colleague's breakfast order, left items off order etc. We were in a rush - as are many business travelers on a Wednesday AM, so decided not to bother trying to correct the server
-"free" limo service between my company and W not available when we needed it
-I ate what could charitably be described as a hockey puck for a hamburger at the bar; my colleague had a fish sandwich and was horribly sick for the rest of the night
-I had an evening free so made some spa appts, then had to call back and re-arrange the times (moved them by an hour or so). They messed up the times and cancelled one of my appts accidentally and then could not accommodate me
-there were so many damn mirrored walls in my room that I walked into one (ok, my fault, but really??)
-I ordered a very simple dessert item from room service around 1030PM while working and it took an hour to arrive...I was asleep by then.

I would love for the W to acknowledge that business travelers are their bread and butter customers and perhaps have a series of rooms called "serenity rooms" (or something cheeky in the W style) that are minimalist, without the stupid lighting, all the mirrors, indicators on the doors that this is the shower, this is the toilet, this is the closet (you're so fearful of turning on the lights in the middle of the night and not being able to turn them off again, you end up feeling your way around in the dark)...maybe these rooms could also be used by the W's many yoga enthusiasts??

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Grand Rapids
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This was my first time at W Chicago. I LOVED it! The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. My favorite thing about the W is the ideal location. Views of Lake Michigan and Navy Pier are quite beautiful. The hotel is just a few blocks from shopping and major downtown attractions making this a perfect place to stay if you are in Chicago as a tourist. They have a Bliss spa in the hotel and that is always worth a visit (a bonus is the Bliss products in the room). Spring for a view of the Lake.

Room Tip: View of the lake is beautiful!
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It felt like we were in an oceanfront room, as Lake Michigan was our view. Navy Pier was in full view as well. The staff was friendly and aimed to please on every front. Taxi service is a breeze in Chicago so don't bring a car. We parked for $4 a day at a train station outside the city and took cabs for everything. Wouldn't have it any other way. Will stay here again!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Staying for a weekend at the remodeled W Chicago Lakeshore was an absolutely wonderful experience! The W Chicago Lakeshore recently underwent an extensive (and much needed) remodel. The W Chicago Lakeshore was my choice Chicago hotel before their remodel, but was definitely showing it's age. I could have chosen to stay at a nicer Chicago hotel before their remodel, but their warm, hospitable staff kept me coming back. During the W Chicago Lakeshore's remodel, I chose to stay at other downtown Chicago hotels to avoid the noise and construction. My first stay back at the W Chicago Lakeshore the weekend of March 13, 2015 only reinforced why I consider the W Chicago Lakeshore the best hotel in Chicago! The valet welcomed me back to the W Chicago Lakeshore, explained valet parking, and asked if I would like luggage assistance (I was traveling light, so I politely declined the luggage assistance). Walking into the remodeled W Chicago Lakeshore's lobby was like night and day. The lobby is now one of the most, if not the most spectacular, modern lobbies of any hotel that I've ever visited! Checking-in, I was warmly greeted by Daniel. He acknowledged my SPG status and offered to upgrade ne to their "Marvelous Suite". I gratefully accepted Daniel's offer, and the "Marvelous Suite" was truly devine! The suite was immaculately clean, large, and very modern with an amazing view of Lake Michigan. Saturday evening, the W Chicago Lakeshore's staff suprised me by having a bottle of Champagne, a plate of macaroons, and gummy bears (my three favorite treats) placed in my suite. Surprised and delighted, to say the least! I haven't experienced the W Chicago Lakeshore's new restaurant "Current" (their old restaurant "Wave" was one of my Chicago favorites), but I will definitely give it a try on another visit. Bliss Spa is still located on the 8th floor and is still relaxing as ever! However, one thing I miss about the W Chicago Lakeshore since their remodel is Whiskey Sky. My friends and I had many a fun night at their former bar at the top of the W Chicago Lakeshore! However, their new lobby bar is a great improvement over their former lobby bar (the bartenders make the best raspberry mojitos). I really missed the staff and staying at the W Chicago Lakeshore during their remodel, but the wait was well worth it. The W Chicago Lakeshore has once again become my weekend retreat!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

W Chicago- Lakeshore was a great experience. We came in for a show and the convenience of shopping and dining was terrific. Everywhere we wanted to go was just a short walk or cab ride away. The hotel was clean and recently updated and the staff was friendly but the hotel restaurant for dinner was over priced, under staffed and the food was super salty. I would definitely stay again, I would just skip the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
WChicagoLakeshore, Manager at W Chicago Lakeshore, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for sharing your experience Lisa B. Although I am thrilled to know you enjoyed our hotel and your overall experience I am disappointed to know you did not have a positive experience in our restaurant. Please know that I will share your review with my team as it will allow us to improve.

Should you need anything in the future please feel free to contact me direct.

Kind regards,

Alejandra Romero
Director of Operations

Been to W Chicago Lakeshore? Share your experiences!