“Love this W! Great Hotel & Staff! Not to be missed!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Early and Save
Ranked #92 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Miami, Florida, United States
“Love this W! Great Hotel & Staff! Not to be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My boyfriend and I have been traveling from Miami to Chicago frequently because a family member is extremely ill and in the hospital... We LOVE Starwood hotels, specifically the W, so when we made our travel plans we chose the W Lakeshore, first because it's a W and secondly because it is close (walking distance) to the hospital (Northwestern) my sister is in.

This has been an extremely stressful time and we are going to be in Chicago regularly for extended amounts of time and we plan to stay at the W each and every time. In fact, we are booked to stay at the W Lakeshore for our next trip over the holidays. This will be a 10 day stay, and it's comforting to know we will be at the W Lakeshore.

For those of you who like specifics.... Here's the run down...

Daniel Winitsky checked us in and he was great, we were completely blown away by the champagne and strawberries and by the awesome room! It was unexpected, but it really cheered us up! Jeremy Dasilva checked us out and helped me print out my boarding passes, he was very nice, knowledgeable, and professional as well.

Overall, the staff was fantastic!!! Even our housekeeper, I think her name was Sari (30th floor 3018) she was so nice, took a lot of pride in her work, and did it with a smile everyday. She is most definitely a wonderful asset to the W Lakeshore team and I hope she gets acknowledged for it.

The whole experience at W Lakeshore was positive. It's an awesome place to call "home base" when we are in Chicago.

My boyfriend and I both HIGHLY recommend this hotel!! Looking forward to our next stay later this month.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!!! The higher up the better! Regardless, it's a W and the rooms are all p...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here for a meeting with my girlfriend at the time and she had never been to Chicago so I knew that Lakeshore Drive and W Hotel made for a perfect fit. We stayed and drove, walked and used the taxi system to see the sights, museums and all the awesomeness that Chicago has to offer. Chicago rules. They even gave us free rides on Acura MDX's which they had as part of their promotion. It's kind of funny because at the time I owned an Acura MDX back home so it was just like being home!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have stayed at the W several times prior to the remodel and I always loved it. I was actually tentative about what they could do to improve it. I think the decor is edgy and fun still not better than before just different. What was better this stay was the service. The check in, the concierge, the door men were all courteous, friendly and eager to please. I called before check in and asked for adjoining rooms, early check in they were able to accommodate, we received a great recommendation for dinner. We got back late and they were out of cookies so upon check out they gave my son a bag of cookies and offered a 2nd bag to my daughter. My kids ate the green apples in the lobby and in the pool the entire stay. Loved the beds, loved the linens, if any complaint I wish the bathrooms had heavier doors for privacy and that the room could get cooler. That's it! We'll be back! :)

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Encinitas, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

In choosing the W brand, I thought it was a safe, modern choice close to Michigan ave. I will never stay at any W after this experience. First of all while modern, the rooms were dated... peeling paint, stains on the bathroom walls, and the tub enamel was chipping and dirty. GROSS. Also we had drunk LOUD and disorderly people in the halls fighting and the "security" just stood and watched. The manager said he would have his boss call me and he never did. Too busy for me I guess. Also they overcharged me as well and I had to call in and fight them after all of the other inconveniences. There are so many better places to stay. Even if your getting a deal it isn't worth it... unless your planning on getting NO sleep and having a dirty bathroom

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently stayed at the W Chicago Lakeshore for the first time. My room was very modern, clean and very cool. The location of the hotel on the lakeshore only blocks from Michigan Avenue is convenient to anything in the loop. I walked to shop on Michigan Avenue and took a short cab ride to a business meeting south of the river. The view of the lake and Navy Pier is spectacular! I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is a little out of the way from all the downtown action as its right along the lake. The rooms have recently been remodeled and are great. Bed was comfortable and plenty of space in the room. I had some drinks and apps at the restaurant in the lobby, Current, and it was quite good. Make sure to go when they have half off apps and small bites. Would recommend this place especially if you get a good rate. I got $129.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First let me start by saying I once loved this brand. Now, in one single stay I am completely unhinged by how Starwood has allowed this beautiful hotel be run by an apathetic management team who assumes because of it's location and glossy W branding, people will continue to stay here.

First let's start with the positives. It has a heated pool. It has a great location, very close to the pier. It has an amazing concierge, who really is the only redeeming grace for what I would call a hotel staff.

Negatives? The hotel is in disrepair.
1. The shower handle fell off 4 times during my 2 day stay, engineering came to fix it each time, but not really. It still fell off and you couldn't turn the water on or off once it fell.
2. The air conditioner wouldn't operate properly. Sure, I stayed while it's cold outside... But I like my room at 68 degrees. I couldn't get the room below 71/72 so I didn't sleep very well.
3. The vanity mirror in the bathroom fell off and we "rigged" to get thru the stay.
4. The door to the room did not shut all the way. So we definitely had more hallway noise than I liked, but I didn't complain about this so I really can't fault them for this.

Finally and most importantly I was overcharged. I had a parking included rate, but upon checkout have been billed $62.99 for parking. It is not on my folio, and hotel management has yet to follow up with all the issues. When I brought up the issues during my visit, of course they were FAKE about dealing with them and told me they would remove the room from rotation. I talked with a set of new friends I made on this trip and they too felt this hotel is not W quality, though they had different issues such as noise complaints and odors, the staff seemed just as fake to them.

Room Tip: Honestly, choose another Brand, this hotel is a disgrace.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Been to W Chicago Lakeshore? Share your experiences!