“Close. Very Close to Good.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #95 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
New York City
“Close. Very Close to Good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I've stayed here prior to the remodel and for the most part the remodel gets things right. But given that I am (now staying) in a "spectacular" room that has badly kicked walls, light bulbs burned out, some sort of a hole in the ceiling and nightstand where some pole must have been intended...it just feels, well, cheap. The elevator banks need a coat of paint badly and the minibar fridge is simply locked shut. I get it is not stocked (per prior reviews here), but why be vindictive and lock it? The remodel helped this property, but it seems to be falling apart REALLY quickly (at least per my room).

The staff is great and the Wifi IS STUPID expensive (also per prior reviews). I'm Starwood Gold (though the room on the 11th floor wouldn't immediately indicate that...), so I get free wifi...but the prior complaints are justified.

General W/Starwood notes: 1. It is not 1999 anymore, think about this in design choices. 2. Provide cotton swabs for guests. 3. Too many postcards cluttering the room. Does anyone assume you can still smoke in a hotel room in 2014?. 4. WHY REMODEL AND NOT INSTALL LIGHT DIMMERS? This all or nothing lighting is just not hip nor cool.

Room Tip: Lakeview is better than not lakeview. Obviously.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I had never stayed at a W before and was I town for work, so I thought I'd give it a go. The lobby was loud and kind of like a club scene, which I gather is normal for the W. Check in was kind of a mess; there was a long line and everything was slow. When I got to the front of the line they informed me that I was Starwood preferred gold - score! If I knew that I could have gone to the special preferred desk.

The room was very good, I liked the layout with the L shaped sofa thing where I could comfortably sit and read my book without having to sit in the bed. My main complaint was that there was a wad of hair on the carpet that looked like it came from a hairbrush or a drain. Kind of gross on what was otherwise an overall good stay. I may stay here again, I'd just hope they clean the carpet better.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We held a Bat Mitzvah at the W Hotel Lakeshore on the 33rd floor, and we were delighted with the experience! From the planning phases to the actual execution of the event, it was a pleasure. Brittney Carter, our main contact, was incredibly efficient, communicative, proactive, creative and supportive! She was a pleasure to work with as we planned, and she was a godsend during the actual event. She worked behind the scenes to make everything smooth, and she also helped out with nametags and anything else needed to make the evening a total pleasure!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I have been to this property more times than I can count over the last 10 years of my business travel....and this is my first report. There are a few W hotels in Chicago, but this one by the lake has always been my favorite. Even when I didn't get upgraded to a suite and my room wasn't that impressive....it was the customer service that I kept coming back for!

From the moment you get out of your car, you are greeted with a friendly face that remembers you and "welcomes you back". You are then greeted at the front desk with a smile, friendly conversation and immediate recognition of your loyal service. The bartenders are always friendly, remembering your favorite drink...without a look of judgement for how many you had the last time you were here. Lol.

Fast forward 10 years and they are now a newly renovated hotel (check out the art deco rooms w/ strong graphic prints)....with a few new employees to take the customer service over the top! Wendy at the bar is as sweet as they come. If you catch her on a slow day during lunch, the focused attention is expected....but her genuine conversation and knowledge about the menu and the hotel is a pleasant surprise! When business is slow, staff tends to 'goof off'. She is busy cleaning the bar from top to bottom! "Bar Rescue" needs to hire her on their team, to show other bars what to do! Will, Currant Manager is there with eyes in the front and the back of his head, ensuring that his team is alert and his customers are happy. He brings an extra level of assurance that a customer wants....even if we don't have any issues during our visit.

Last but DEFINITELY not least....the W Insider Ali is their 'secret weapon'. I am informed that there is a Gold/Platinum reception via email, prior to my arrival. I have never heard of this before at any of the other 3 W properties that I frequent throughout the year. So....I ventured downstairs at 7:30pm to see what it's all about. What a treat! On Monday nights....they feature a full complimentary set up of Beer, Wine, Water, etc and select appetizers for their most loyal customers! The location changes throughout the year based on weather, etc from the back of the restaurant, to outside on the patio, to upstairs with a panoramic view. Tonight's reception was in the back of the restaurant featuring...a surprise for all sports fanatics! Ali was there to greet all of her guests and her team was great, ensuring that we had everything we needed to enjoy the dreaded first day of the week.

If you are a business traveler who needs a place to unwind after a long day....Look no further than the W Lakeshore! This is where you want to be if you have to be stuck in a Chicago snowstorm. LOL!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room overlooking the lake/pier
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
PeteDemay22, General Manager at W Chicago Lakeshore, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you so much ACorporate Chef for your wonderful review of our property! We are thrilled you enjoyed your W experience and the new Look of the property after our $40M renovation. Most importantly I am happy to see you recognizing our great Talent Members: Wendy, Will, and Ali! We appreciate your visiting with us and look forward to many more!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The newly renovated W Lakeshore looks fabulous - lighter and more spacious! The two things we were sorry not to see were the good morning and good night floor mats in the elevators and dancing on the top floor. We stay at the W every year in November when we are attending an event on Navy Pier. It's the most convenient hotel to Navy Pier and the coolest. In the past we've spent many evenings dancing with friends that we only get to see during this conference. I hope that the dance floor will soon be open again. The lobby with the addition of a pool table was a nice alternative for socializing. We were also happy to see an empty refrigerator in all of our rooms. It was perfect for storing snacks for our week-long stay. We'll definitely be back again next year.

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Thank you paige i for you great review of your W Experience and particularly of the fun and lively atmosphere in our Living Room! We are thrilled you enjoyed your time and look forward to seeing you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Anna Trevell was a wonderful host. She was a welcoming face each time I entered and exited the hotel. She offered water, a kind word, and local information without expectations of anything. Also the valet gentleman were very friendly and timely.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Thank you Jemia C for recognizing Trevell and all our Talent Members as we appreciate you staying with us and look forward to many more W experiences in the future!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here with another middle-aged couple, by chance we caught it the weekend of the big U.S. Vs. New Zealand Rugby game, the hotel was packed and the downstairs lobby bar area filled with happy fans on both side, GREAT TIME! The bartenders had everything covered and worked feverishly all night long. Great Job! The rooms are modern, but the hallways dark. Room Views are all you can ask for of the Navy pier and Lake. All the Employees were helpful, professional and expedient. Would recommend it to the below 50 crowd.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Thank you Gene63 for your wonderful review of your W experience as we are delighted you had such a fun time visiting us! We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Pete Demay

Been to W Chicago Lakeshore? Share your experiences!