“Not up to typical W standards” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #103 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
California
“Not up to typical W standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

From the moment you check in you realize something's a bit off. If you're an SPG Gold member, you'll be disappointed to see that there's no separate check-in line for Gold members. There is a sign that would seem to indicate a special line, but the check-in line is one long queue, with the front desk staff handling it all equally.

The internet is slow. Room service is slow. Elevators are slow.

Don't get me wrong -- it's a very fine experience and good location. But value for money? Consistency with the W brand? Not quite.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My daughter and I loved staying at the W Lakeshore this past weekend! The is right on beautiful lake Michigan, with unbelievable views and walking distance from the beach, pier, Michigan Ave and Many Museum. The lobby is modern. Ramon, the concierge was really fantastic and friendly. He loves what he does and loves his city so get his input. They recommend restaurants and happenings around town. The room was very large and spacious. The bathrooms were well done and of course bliss amenities are a bonus.

The CTA system is great and easy to use to get around. (Cabs of course are everywhere).

We took the architect boat your which was fantastic!! What am experience of history and spectacular views. (Read the book Devil in the White City before you go. It makes it even more interesting).

If you get a chance to see The Million Dollar Quartet I strongly recommend it! It's an interesting true story and great music!

Stayed September 2014
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I recently stayed at the W Lakeshore for a week for a mix of business and pleasure. We are SPG members and try to stay in a Westin or a W whenever we can and we know that at times the service or standard of the property can vary. I'm pleased to say that this particular property was great!

We stayed in a Spectacular Lake View room on the 20th floor and I believe it was newly renovated. The room was beautifully decorated (although a few things hadn't been fully completed). Great large shower, Good size room and the most important thing for us was the bed and pillows were extremely comfortable (we always take our own pillows, but didn't use them on this occasion which never happens). The window in this room was huge and with the view of the lake and navy pier it was like living in a painting! One additional thing worth mentioning is that there are built in sofa's and this made the room feel much bigger was a nice area for relaxing.

The hotel was very busy and during the week we had no issues with noise in the corridor however on the weekend there was obviously a change in crowd because it was quite noisy outside the room. There's nothing that the hotel can do about this really but its worth considering before you book if you'll be staying over the weekend.

On a couple of occasions we had cocktails at the bar which were great and we had both lunch and dinner in Current where the food was excellent and consistent.

We didn't use the gym because there are great jogging routes along the lake shore which the concierge kindly provided us a map of.

There's free wifi in public areas but chargeable in the rooms (I always feel that chargeable wifi is unreasonable considering the room was around $600 per night)

Over all this was an great experience

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room on a high floor, its worth it!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I had a very negative experience from check-in to check-out. I have stayed here before but under different management. My car service arranged by the hotel was not on time and the concierge was slow to assist. I my reservation was duplicated and my credit card overcharged. The manager refused to take my calls and I had to file a formal complaint that did ultimately get resolved. Chicago has many hotels and next time I will try one that is luxury in both brand and service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water are noisy.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
WChicagoLakeshore, Manager at W Chicago Lakeshore, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me yesterday regarding your experience. Hope we are able to restore your faith in us and welcome you back.

Kind regards,

Cape Cod, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Hi. First and foremost, the W name aside, you can have a pretty dinky hotel somewhere, anywhere, and if the staff is superior, going above and beyond expectations, then the stay over powers the hotel, like a good bar; the bartender makes the bar, not so much the bar. I was working with the One Direction show and came in pretty late to the W. The people at the front desk (and if they are reading this I feel awful for forgetting their names). Two females, one with blonde hair, accent, just so nice, and the other girl checking me in, who both agreed to give me an upgrade, to an AMAZING huge king with a view of the Lake that was to die for. They both were amazing, truly. Few hotels care anymore about the check in process, its often rushed or not relevant (YOTEL), or a real pain (The Riveria). I even brought one of them a signed poster from the band for she was so great. (I even got a 1pm check out)

I read a complaint or two about how dark it was, and ultra chic and hip. Please, its a W, it was amazing the atmosphere, the house music playing all day and night, the bar downstairs with great cocktails, another GREAT staff bartender (the next day around lunch time). Stepping off the elevators, you think you are in a Kubrick film, its very very cool. Don't listen to these curmudgeons, its STELLAR!

What is not stellar is no Mini Bar. What is not stellar is no vending. (SURE ITS THE W, but put vending in many empty spaces I found in areas, and make it chic and hip, line it with neon or glow in dark Coke Wave logo, etc). I am certainly not going to order a Soda through room service. All my complaining to myself and then realizing there is a 24 hour 7-11 within a 3 minute walk right next door. Also as far as being close to things, The Magnificent Mile is within a few blocks of the sea and throngs of tourist and box stores ya find in any other town.

The room was airy and huge, almost too big, for near the windows is a L Couch that takes up a ton of space. They need to get someone in their to design the space and make it more functional. How about a bookcase, how cool would that be. A high end cabinet with books, some board games, something unique, something different, something W. Dunno, call me, we can discuss lol. ( A W version of Monopoly, where all the places to buy are W Hotels across the country lol) Different ya know, something that people will want to talk about long after leaving.

The nonsense reviews about the hotel being so loud, it ridiculous. The nightclub is on a top floor, you don't hear a thing. It was ultra quiet, at least for me once I was in the room.

What is totally not stellar? The 200 hold for incidentals! Really? Probably the most expensive hold in the industry and I know what I am talking about. They don't take cash. (For myself on the road 200 days a year, the holds add up and are hardly released right away, so a cash equivalent always helps).

Despite that, my stay was awesome, I didn't want to leave the room, it was just an oasis and close to everything and they happily stored my bags until late at night as I had another show and had to leave that evening

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello! Thank you for your very detailed and honest feedback! I loved hearing about your experience and will make sure to share your comments with the team; I believe it might have been Alzbeta who helped you with your check in so will make sure to recognize her for her efforts. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our decor, atmosphere and room overall and appreciate you taking the time to give suggestions for improvement! I will for sure share accordingly, who knows maybe we will come up with a cool W inspired board game!

Please don't hesitate to contact me direct should you have any additional feedback, questions or if you need anything at all.

Hope to welcome you back soon!

Alejandra R.
BRIGHTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First class service and extremely nice amenities located right in DT. Close to Navy Pier and Miracle Mile.
Friendly staff and helpful in all aspects.
Clean comfortable rooms in a shaded setting in the halls
Love the shower!

Room Tip: Ask for the Lakeside view
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! I am glad you enjoyed our hotel and that our team was friendly and helpful! Hope to see you back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I had the most wonderful experience staying at the newly renovated W Lakeshore this past weekend! The hotel itself is Chicago Prime Location. Situated right on beautiful lake Michigan and walking distance from the beach, pier, Michigan Ave and Contemporary Museum, it is the perfect Chicago destination. The lobby is chic and modern yet welcoming. All the staff were knowledgeable and friendly. They recommend restaurants and happenings around town. The room itself blew me away! It was very large in size making it spacious for two. The L shaped bench was also great for entertaining a few friends. The massive bed made it difficult to leave the room at all! The re modeled bathrooms had large very clean showers and sinks. I felt right at home!! Can’t wait to return!

Room Tip: You can get a city view or a lake view but either way you win!!
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Sounds like you had a great time! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with others. I look forward to your next stay with us!

Alejandra R

Been to W Chicago Lakeshore? Share your experiences!