“Hip spot for tourists” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Hip spot for tourists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed at the W in July for business and had a nice experience. There was a problem with my check-in (not the hotel's fault) and the front desk staff were extremely empathetic and went out of their way to take care of the issue. The place is in a perfect spot for tourists, as you can walk to Michigan Ave or Navy Pier without too much effort. Very nice views from our room of downtown, and the other side faces Lake Michigan and the Pier. Rooms are ultra modern with all the usual amenities.

The hotel bar is ultra hipster and definitely not for everyone. Very young, upscale crowd with loud music playing well into the night. Which is fine, it's not like the noise makes it's way up to the rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Greenwood, Maine, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

1. After checking in at the front desk which is located next to a bar that is so loud I could barely hear the clerk I went to my room where in the closet I found the dirty underwear of the previous guest. Staff member that I talked to on the phone was indifferent in assigning a new room.

2. $15 for slow wifi.

3. Loud! This is a hotel for conference attendees who are looking to get drunk. This is not a hotel for people who want to get rest before a day of actually working.

4. Room service takes at least 45 minutes although I don't know how long it really takes because I called and cancelled the order after 45 minutes of waiting.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

All I have to say is that the front desk agents are all very very good at their jobs specifically, Rachel Ware. W Chicago Lakeshore is very modern with friendly staff. We were greeted right away and we were able to check in 3 hours before the actual check in time. Which was perfect because I was in town with my girlfriend celebrating her 25th birthday. Not only did Rachel put us in a beautiful room, she took the time to map out a great place for us to spend time and have brunch. Rachel so eloquently recommended "Yolk" restaurant (which is by far one of the best places to eat bunch.) With a perfect location, right across from Navy Pier and in walking distance of great shopping and great restaurants. I would definitely stay here again. Our house keeper on the pm shift Maria Ramero, really went out her way to fix and rectify an issue we had with the bedding. Our sheets in the bed were not cleaned correctly so I called service express to have house keeping change our sheets and remake the bed with new sheets, they said it would be "at least 40mins to an Hour" for them to fix the problem with our sheets. So, 25mins go by and housekeeping knocks on the door (for the routine in house room check.) We ask if she was here about the call from service express about our bedding she said no she was not made aware of the issue. Then she quickly asked what was the problem and if you could fix it and make it right for us. Maria Ramero not only changes the sheets, she put in a request for us to get some free drinks on the house for the unexpected inconvenience while changing the sheets she enlightened us with great suggestions on how to have a great time while in Chicago and how to spend time wisely while being here. This The birthday girl very happy and made me happy as well. Rachel and Maria do not know that I am the Concierge at The Westin Indianapolis and to know that they did all this for a guest staying one night is surprisingly refreshing. I undoubtedly will come back and the W Chicago Lakeshore will be the overall top choice because of my overall successful experience!

Room Tip: Ask for the even number rooms ex: (2012, 1110, 1414) they are the ones with the view of the lake Shh...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

As soon as we arrived it was a great experience! Our room was ready and check in was fast and friendly. Our room was 1912 and 1914. They both were lakeview rooms. The view was outstanding. I found the rooms a little small for the price but the view made up for the price.The bathroom were very updated and clean. We loved the little extra in the bathroom also. We had a couple request Microwave and extra bedding...these were met within ten minutes. Outstand quest services! Valey was fast and easy. You texted for your car and it was there anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. The outside was clean and security was good. The hotel had rockers out front for evening view of activities. Unfortunately smokers were around most of the evenings. I wish the room halls were a little brighter for safety reason. I loved the hotel cause you could walk to the pier and the beach!!!! Ontario street was a main street to all the attraction and was easy to follow and return back to the hotel. Now the sad stuff.....The rooms had beautiful view windows unfortunately the curtains didn't block the morning sun for late sleeping. So in case you plan to stay out late , bring a night mask with you! You will need it!!!! The room was bright!!!!!!!!!!! The bathroom also have a huge window that allows light to enter the entire room during the night. So if someone uses the rest room, everyone is woke up by the light and sounds! It is really Art deco but I don't think the designers thought about privacy, late sleepers. Now my last thing, there is construction during the day going on. My room was next to a room being renovated :( . so we all were woke up early by drill sounds. Make sure you are placed on a floor with rooms completed. This one is for the Hotel itself...Please don't spray your W scent in the hallways. It made our eyes burn and we had to place towel near the door to block the smell. After all said and done... we loved your hotel and would go back in a minute!!!! Chicago was great!!!! Highway 55 stay away!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a floor with no renovation on it. Also a renovated room is good. Take a cab, parking is scar...
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Beautiful hotel, I could tell I was at the W when I first arrive. It’s what I would expect a Starwood hotel to be like. Very swank and upscale, the front desk ladies are very beautiful and really take the time to treat you right. The bar was very nice as well, they bartender made me feel right at home and the rooms were more then what I needed to feel comfortable. Million dollar question....Would I stay here again? Yes, actually I enjoyed myself quite a bit and the service was more than enough.

Room Tip: Lake view is obviously better but the city view is Just as good. No such thing as a bad room view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

When I first walked in I was impressed with the abundance of stone and tile. The 6' tall supermodels they have working up front made me think this might be a uppity, snooty sort of place but for the most part it's not. The staff was actually friendly and quite helpful. It's probably not the greatest spot for traveling with kids, we were constantly afraid that our 1.5 yr old would knock her head on the many hard corners but it turned out OK. I would highly recommend this place for a couple or a group of friends.

The hotel itself is beautiful. It's built with very modern materials and is quite impressive. The lobby looks more like a high end nightclub than a hotel. When we made it up to our room the hallway was dimly lit and reminded me of a club in Vegas, very different from other hotels I've stayed. Walking into our room on the 32nd floor we immediately were impressed by the view of Navy Pier. The room was small (normal Chicago size) but it was thoughtfully built to maximize space. The window side of the room had a wrap around built in couch (which my daughter loved climbing on to watch the boats). Lighting fixtures were all interesting (heavy glass bubbles, a big chrome reading light, and recessed lighting behind the headboard). The bathroom had a nice tile shower with glass door with very modern chrome fixtures. Since I have a construction background I could nitpick a few spots like some peeling drywall up in a corner, but I won't because overall it was very nice.

Parking in this area is costs mucho dinero, the hotel will valet for $60-something a night. We parked a couple blocks away on Grand and Ohio and it was like $40/day. Pick your poison. It's a great location though, you can make a quick walk to the beach, take a trolley to Navy Pier, walk about 6-7 blocks to Michigan Ave, so what you spend on parking will save you $ on cabs.

Well done W, I hope to stay again!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lake, as high as possible. We were on the 32nd floor and it was great. There...
Farmington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

As a past guest of the W New York City, I was not at all surprised to find the W Chicago Lakeshore as incredible! From the moment you walk through the doors, you are treated differently from many other same tier competitors. This property had just gone through a large scale renovation which was bore spectacular results! The front desk and concierge staff were professional, courteous yet very personable. The room was simply smashing. The location has a stunning view of the lake/marina & beach. Perfect access to Navy Pier and walking distance to fantastic shopping! All around marvelous quality and value!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to W Chicago Lakeshore? Share your experiences!