“practically perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #111 of 168 hotels in Chicago
San Diego, California
“practically perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

This W made me feel like Goldilocks: it was just right. Fantastic location - just far enough from Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier - fantastic City and lake views, all the usual W comforts, and a friendlier staff than the usual W hipper-than-thou crowd. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else next time we're in town.

• Liked — location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,432 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Victoria BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

We stayed 4 nights at the W lakeshore in Aug 2008. As big W fans we were really looking forward to staying here. We have stayed at at least a dozen W Hotels but put this one quite low on our list exept for the great view.
The Lobby was so busy when we checked in we could not get near the desk. Front desk staff was not in a good mood that day. When I asked if I got my Platinum upgrade she snapped at me and said "I got ya a good view and thats it ,we are busy OK". Nice start. The room was very small and the shower was so dark I felt I was in a closet with the lights off. Room run down a bit and the worst thing was the ancient air conditioner that sounded like a truck with no muffler.
We loved Chicago and used www.sneakysunday.com to choose our dinners and bars. I have to tell you it was right on! My trip would not have been near as good if I did not use sneakysunday. It is a non biast web site that chooses the coolest places to go . And Chicago has come of the coolest!
So I think next time in Chicago I would pick another Starwood Hotel. The W just did'nt live up to W standards.

• Liked — The view,and location
  • Disliked — The price, the service,the room
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
las vegas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

What a nightmare!!! This place charges 479.00 plus tax for a room the size of a box. I chose this hotel because they boasted they were the only hotel in that area that was on the lake. We got a lake view room. I couldn't believe my eyes...the room was so small and there were 3 windows that started 4 1/2 feet up the wall. Unless you were right at the window the view was of the clouds. There aren't any coffee/tea machines in the room so if you want coffee you must go down to the lobby. The bathroom and bedroom and separated by shutters so if you are looking for privacy, again this is not for you. We had a family issue on the way to the hotel. When we arrived right after checking in I informed them that we may have to leave the next day because we had a family situation. Later that evening I called down and told them that indeed we would have to go. They said that they would have to charge us $100 early departure fee. I was mad and went down to talk to someone. Downstairs a manager said that no, it was not $100 but $479 plus tax for early departure. My husband got the manager and explained that we had to leave due to circumstances beyond our control. She was obnoxious stating their rules and that she could knock it down to $150. She did not even ask if all was okay but rudely said, "Well, what is your emergency?" There was not one ounce of sympathy for our situation. After he returned to the room I then called down and spoke to the same rude manager and she finally said we owe nothing for our early departure. I am sorry but that is not good service. We will never stay there again. We have been to many W hotels and NEVER have had this experience.

• Liked — The Valet guys were nice
  • Disliked — The manager/front desk people
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Tampa, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

The hotel itself is a typical W - very cool lobby, chic bar, nice outside sitting area. The rooms themselves are tiny and the bathrooms provide zero privacy because of the shutters that they installed between the room and the bathroom. The beds are amazing. Unfortunately, we got stuck with a "city view" room, which translates to looking onto a roof of a building and the pavement below. If you go to the top floor however you can check out the view of the lake.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the view from the window
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

We stayed at the W Lakeshore the second weekend in August for three nights. All in all, it was a pleasant--but relatively average--hotel experience.

Positives
*Cool Decor
*Great Bliss spa products in the room
*Staff was helpful--when someone cut in front of us in the check-in line, we complained to the staff and were given free drink coupons
*The "Whenever, Whatever" Desk was helpful when we needed to know more about Chicago attractions
*Comfortable beds

Negatives
*Not enough elevators--expect a decent wait during peak times
*Bathroom was small and DARK--very hard to accurately apply makeup in this space
*Bathroom also had an odd shower configuration--the shower had a wall on one half of the open side, with the other side COMPLETELY open--no curtain, nothing--so stuff on the floor gets wet

All in all, this was nicer than one of those chain hotels with ugly bedspreads and curtains (in fact, the purple bedspread in our room was one I'd love to have at home). But, if you are expecting an "over the top" experience, this falls a little short. The hotel had been part of another, less-expensive chain before, and it shows. The hotel would like to be "rock star," but comes across more as "American Idol" than true star, if that makes sense.

Lincoln, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the W for one night and had a good stay. The room view was fair...not of the lakefront though which was disappointing. Although the bathroom setup has taken quite the beating on these reviews my husband and I loved it. It was different from any where else we've ever stayed. Overall the room was nice, clean. However there was an adjoining door to another room and you could hear everything..very paper thin walls. We wanted to get room service but the charges were outrageous when we just spent 250.00 for one night.

Great place for young singles, friends, romantic getaways but would definetly not recommend it for say my parents or grandparents. The lobby was a bit loud for thier taste but fine for us.

• Liked — the bathroom was awesome and it was a very clean room
  • Disliked — paper thin walls (you could hear everything in the next room)
cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

Overall we had a great stay at the W Chicago Lake Shore. Some positives - View and proximity to Navy Pier are great. The decor of the hotel is really done well. Beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The service and staff were above average. Negatives - ask for a room without a connecting door - we could hear every word the people in the next room were saying. Luckily we had very different schedules so it wasn't too much of a problem. Also - I would have to agree with the other comments about the bathroom. Although it is a neat look, there leaves little to the imagination with the window between the bathroom and rest of the room. It was about 4-5 blocks from the Magnificent mile, so if you want to stay right in the thick of things this might not be the hotel for you. At night on the weekends, the beuatiful people do come out. The lobby turned into a clubby atmosphere which really isn't my thing.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — The thin walls
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to W Chicago Lakeshore? Share your experiences!