“Very good, starting to show its age and time for a refresh” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #112 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Barrington, Rhode Island
“Very good, starting to show its age and time for a refresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

The location is great and offseason, the rates are pretty good for downtown Chicago. Great concierge and from desk staff.

I received and auto upgrade to a lake view room on the 22nd floor. Nice and quiet and just what I expected. Very minor wear and tear on some of the furniture (only asthetic issues). Room was clean and what I come to expect from an SPG hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room. It's nice and quiet and the city or lake view are excellent with no...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

1,415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I fly into Chicago once a month for business. I’ve tried a number of hotels in the city, W Lakeshore is my first choice. Location is great, can't beat near north Lakeshore Dr. Rooms are spacious, well-kept, great beds (None of that weird stale hotel smell). Staff actively trying to improve your stay (during one stay a large family with kids checked into the room next to mine, which is rare at a W, no questions asked I was moved to a quieter room on another floor). And of course, having Bliss toiletries… need I say more.

Room Tip: Lake view is nice, but at night city view is better.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband & I just stayed at the W Hotel Lakeshore over New Years. This hotel's location is great, and our suite overlooked the lake & pier. Our suite was nice - we had a living area separate from the bedroom, and I really enjoyed the bathroom shower and design. Bed is very comfortable, as most Starwood beds are. My biggest pet peeves at hotels are no outlets next to the bed. I had to plug my phone into the adjacent bedroom wall and set the phone on the floor. Overall, the room was clean and comfortable & housekeeping was quick to respond to requests.

The lobby bar is nice, we enjoyed a few drinks there with friends one night. The draft from the front doors blows straight past the bar so I had to keep on my coat, as I noticed a few other people did as well. The "bar" at the top of the hotel is a joke - actually a bit scary as it's just a small VERY dark room. It looks like an afterthought - not very "W" at all. The views are great, so it has potential for something really cool.

The valet underwhelmed us - it was freezing cold, but they never opened our doors when we arrived, assisted with luggage, or even greeted us. The hotel wasn't busy, so they just couldn't be bothered to come over to our car I guess. So our first & last impression of the hotel wasn't great due to this.

We walked down the street for a coffee & bagel in the morning (just around the corner, 2 blocks I think?), then headed out to do some shopping. There's no need to take taxis around the general area (ie: to Michigan Ave) as there are quite a few restaurants/shops all within walking distance. We took a short taxi ride one night to eat at Avec (which I highly recommend!).

Bliss Spa is a "must" if you stay at this hotel. We didn't have time to go during this trip but I've been in the past and it was wonderful.

Checkin/checkout was seamless. The only negative was again the valet as we left (just left the car running at the front door and walked away - no assistance with luggage, or "thank you for staying with us" which I thought was poor service as most hotels do this), but other than that this hotel was a good choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

So if you're looking for cheap hotels (not that you really have that option in downtown Chicago), this is DEFINITELY NOT the place to stay.

But if you want incredible service, beautiful rooms, and a great lake view, then this is a fantastic option!

You're a short walk from Navy Pier, which is a fun attraction when the weather's nice, and you're a few blocks walking distance from great shopping on Magnificent Mile! As for central location to downtown shopping and tours, it's a great choice.

They also offer the Acura Experience, which gives you a free ride to anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel.

Lastly, if you're into tapas, they're Wave restaurant is fantastic! Although Chicago has absolutely amazing restaurants to choose from, it's a great choice if you feel like staying in the hotel.

One word of caution, double check all pricing and services charges if you're ordering ANYTHING for room service.....I unfortunately learned the hard way with a $335 bill for a bottle of Grey Goose! (no, I was not impressed to say the least....but they did help rectify the situation with other concessions).

All in all, always a great stay and great experience!

Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

The staff is very friendly and the hotel is very hip !! Ask for a lake view! My morning flight was canceled and they let me stay in my room till 4 pm no charge!
Very convenient location . They also give Starwood points if you decline housekeeping

• Stayed December 2012
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I truly enjoyed my stay at the W Lakeshore. I traveled for business, but waking up next to the lake with that wonderful view in the morning provided a great vacation feel. The staff are very passionate about their customer service, and provide a great community feel, even for such a large facility. Gym space is not ideal, but its comfortable. I would definitely encourage anyone to stay at this hotel while in Chicago.

Room Tip: Lakeview, high/low floor (no preference).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
San Luis Obispo, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

What I enjoyed most about the W was the location! My room overlooked the lake & Navy Pier, which was beautiful day or night. We were just blocks away from Michigan Ave. & all of the shopping & attractions on the Magnificent Mile. The hotel had such a great, contemporary feel with the decor, music, and options of facilities. I found the staff to be extremely helpful, whether it was sending emails about the hotel & city after I had booked, or the hotel staff that held our bags even after we checked out so that we could do a few last things in the city before we left. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lake. Absolutely beautiful!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to W Chicago Lakeshore? Share your experiences!