“Perfect Location Very close to Navy Pier” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #111 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Perfect Location Very close to Navy Pier”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

After reading several not so great reviews and being extremely nervous about our stay, I had to write my own review in order to somewhat defend the W. I definitely wasn't over impressed with the W, but it wasn't the worst hotel experience either. We booked through Priceline so we got a really good deal compared with what the rooms normally book for. This is the 4th hotel we have stayed at in our trips to downtown Chicago. We checked in around 8:30 on Friday night and the staff was super. It was a little loud in the lobby, but I had no problem talking with the woman at the front desk. We inadvertently booked a double room and when we asked if there was a King available, the front desk was happy to accomodate us. There were two people on duty in the Consierge and they were super helpful when we asked for a nearby place to eat. Saturday we needed to get to Wrigley Field and the door man was wonderful getting us a taxi very quickly. I didn't think the halls were dark or musty as some of the previous reviews stated. Also, our AC unit ran the entire night and we didn't ever feel that it was loud or obnoxious. We stayed on the side of the hotel without the view of the lake, I'm sure since we got such a cheap room; however, the 7th floor balcony allowed us to take in the lovely view. The Navy Pier was extremely close to this hotel as well as a beach. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: There is one side of the hotel that faces Lake Michigan. If you plan on spending a lot of time in y...
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

1,432 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have not stayed at a W before so I can't compare but our room was very comfortable/roomy and clean. We loved the food and drinks at the Wave Bar (lobby). Great selection and quality - I had a Mango Mojito and they made it with real fruit and organic juice - it was better than the Bahamas! The staff was over the top - loved it! They even brought us new light bulbs because we thought the room seemed a bit dark - and it worked!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Coatesville, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

It just isn't worth the money and having been a hard core "W" person for the last 8 years, my last 4 stays at W's in general haven't been so hot and the last two were at this hotel specifically.

The lobby/bar area is very modern (almost on the verge of dance club-ish), and you can see the lake across the highway when sitting at the bar, but only from one side and said side only has 3 seats with that view; whoever designed that really missed the mark as they completely turned their back on the most obvious reason why someone would stay in a hotel along the lake - to see the lake. Even the dining room is a miss as it is 'sunken' and so once again - you lose the view of the lake.

I had a lake facing room on the 23rd floor which gave me a view of the lake and the navy pier. This is an eastern exposure and so you could watch the sunrise over the lake - one would think "Wow! Amazing!" However, the windows were so filthy I was completely distracted. I was really struck by yet another miss on an obvious feature for the hotel.

Room service was running at about a full hour, the food I ordered on two separate occasions arrived luke warm at best. Even the in room coffee maker I had asked for was a disappointment (when I went to make coffee one morning at 3:00 a.m. for the work calls I was about to start) the pot had not been cleaned from the last guest; disgusting. It took them over an hour to bring me a new pot and although they offered me a thermos of fresh brewed coffee in apology; it never appeared.

Housekeeping was off too. Dirty windows in the common areas, inside and out. And I stepped in a piece of what I hope was candy bar with caramel from the prior guest. In general, housekeeping issues were the beginning of the end of my love affair with this hotel, but now I can add a decrease in room service quality, and just a bad experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake, and not too near the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at W for a family vacation. The location was ideal right across the beach and walking distance from the pier. The beach though small but could be a good break if you are planning a longer stay. Also great place for walking or running along the lake.
The hotel staff was exceptional and beds were comfortable.

I booked the hotel through priceline and was a great deal for the location. But they make up for the deal in parking $55/day. Read below for some parking tips.

Staying at this hotel is a tradeoff between being close to pier or close to Milenium Park. My priceline booking didnt make me eligible for lake facing rooms as they are priced more.

All in all a great hotel

Room Tip: Parking Tips - From 9 PM to 8 am street parking is free so if you want to save some money you might...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

I had read the reviews on trip advisor and was a bit skeptical about our stay. I do agree it is not up to typical W standards but the location is great, views amazing and staff was more than accommodating. We ran into a dilemma (self inflicted) and manager Steven went above and beyond to help us out of a bind. It will be an awesome hotel if they follow through with planned renovation.

• Stayed September 2012
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I got a lake side room on a high floor and the view was just incredible. As someone mentioned the beds were a bit high, but in general the room was good. The staff was friendly and patient, even with a hotel packed to the gills for a conference.

I asked for turndown service, which seemed to involve putting the tv remote on my pillow, not a full turndown.

And finally, I ordered a nice Woodford Reserve at the bar, in the menu it was listed as $12, but my bill was $14. Why I asked? The bartender told me that $12 was for a shot, and $14 was for ordering it near. I've never heard of such a ridiculous thing - who orders a nice Bourbon as a shot? And why would you charge more depending on what glass it's in?

So: avoid bar, enjoy view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view -it's an unparalleled view across lake Michigan
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Battle Creek, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the W for a weekend getaway. What a great decision! The staff was very attentive and helpful. Our room was very comfortable and had a beautiful view of Lake Michigan. We loved it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to W Chicago Lakeshore? Share your experiences!