“One Word: Perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Chicago

You added The Peninsula Chicago to your Saves list
The Peninsula Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East Superior Street, at North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #6 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Dayton, Ohio
“One Word: Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

I had purchased a ticket to the closing night performance of my favourite opera at the Chicago Lyric Opera. I chose the Peninsula as I only had a one night's stay and I wanted to assure I was well taken care of. I debated back and forth with myself between the Ritz Carlton and the Peninsula and finally decided to give the Peninsula a try. Previous stays at other Ritz locations have left me feeling dizzy with the over-the-top attempt at opulence. With the Peninsula, the mantra appeared to be "less is more" and I was not disappointed.
The hotel arranged a driver who met me at the airport with sincere smiles and an immaculate sedan featuring the Peninsula's signature magazine, bottles of signature mineral water and various snacks. Upon arrival in Chicago, I was treated regally from everyone from the driver to the concierge. I was shown to my room by the warm and gracious young lady who checked me in at reception.
Because I was only staying one night, I opted for a regular king room rather than a full suite. The room was well-appointed with the understated elegance for which I had hoped. Rather than showy opulance, everything about the room (and indeed, the entire hotel) boasted understated sumptuousness - everything whispered plush without screaming pretention by shoving wealth in one's face. My fifteenth-floor room had a beautiful view of the Magnificent Mile. In addition to the standard amenities, the room offered incredibly plush bathrobes to be enjoyed in the state-of-the-art bathroom. The ice bucket had been filled and two bottles of the hotel's signature mineral water were waiting for me upon arrival. Everything from the bedroom's plasma television to the bathroom's whirlpool tub with built-in entertainment center was of the highest quality.
Upon return from the opera, the hotel staff had performed a discreet turn-down service, in addition to cleaning the bathroom and refreshing the toiletries. Embroidered slippers and a clean bathrobe had been laid out for my ease. The ice bucket had again been filled and two more bottles of water were left.
I had chosen the full Chinese breakfast as room service and it was delivered on time and warm. The food was absolutely delicious - If you try nothing else during your stay, choose the Chinese breakfast - You will not be disappointed.
Due to weather conditions, my flight was delayed and I needed to stay an additional five hours until the car would deliver me back to the airport. The same young lady who checked me in greeted me warmly by name as I walked to the reception desk to discuss an extension for a late check-out. She re-arranged the driver and obtained a selection of spa services while I waited for my rescheduled flight.
Overall, I was extremely impressed with the warmth and classic luxury of the Peninsula. Everything and everyone was the epitome of what true class is. The Ritz has just lost a customer.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

everything was great, food, room, service, concierge. i would definately recommend it.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

My family and I visited the Chicago for a few days after Christmas, and for the most part we enjoyed our stay at the Peninsula.

Upon entering the hotel, you take an elevator to get to the lobby and then another elevator to get to your room. The elevators were quick, but give yourself a few extra minutes to get downstairs if ever in a hurry while staying there.

Our room was on the 11th floor and had excellent views. My family of four shared two bedrooms which were separated by a parlor that had a desk, couches, TV, and a half bathroom. The bedrooms were average in size and décor and generally underwhelming. The bathrooms however, were fabulous. There was a television above the bathtub, and ample space to get ready. The hotel supplied Molton Brown products as well as toothbrushes, razors, sewing and nail kits, etc.

Beds were comfy, and free bottles of water piled up after turndown.

My major qualm with our room was the technology. I was under the impression that everything would be very high tech and sleek and it just wasn’t. The bulky control centers were confusing and outdated. And the plasma TV and DVD players I thought I was getting were clunky and old. I think its time for an upgrade.

The service was mediocre at best. While everybody was polite, I felt as if the Peninsula’s employees were only greeting me because it was their job to do so, not because they cared about me. Several times I had to be the person who initiated the “hello” or “good morning.” I don’t expect to be waited on hand and foot, but the occasional feeling that the concierge or front desk or dining room servers were happy to see me would have been nice.

In terms of hotel food, the room service was average. My family ordered some snacks one day and nothing was exceptional. Breakfast at Avenues was delicious, but nothing I couldn’t get at any other fine hotel. I do not recommend tea. The tea was ok, but the food was horrible. I don’t think I enjoyed a single thing, and there was plenty to choose from.

The thing that I liked best about the hotel was its location. All of Chicago’s highlights, including the shops on Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier, are just a walk away. There’s plenty to do, see, buy and eat, and no need for a taxi or rental car to get there.

I absolutely love Chicago, and its hard to fault the Peninsula for making my time less fun filled, because it most certainly was. However, next time, I’ll opt to stay at the Drake or the W Lakeshore, where I can get a little more bang for my buck—and a little personality.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Stuffiness and lack of personality
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mount Dora, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

Wonderful stay, pure luxury, excellent service, we will go back

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

I stayed at the Peninsula Chicago for two nights in October 2008 while on business. Had a room on the 15th Floor with views of the Water Works. Everything about this property was wonderful. The lobby and conference areas were beautiful and put together really well to host a large event with multiple meetings. The quality and selection of food made attending meetings a real treat, and room service, salads and burgers at least, were great. Now for the room: it was huge! The bathroom had its own couch! Excellent desk and business set-up with extremely comfortable bed. I don't even think I used every piece of furniture in the room it was so big! Can't beat the location either - you're literally steps away from Michigan Avenue shopping and world famous pizza.

• Liked — Fabulous furniture and great food
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

We live in Chicago and when we need a little pampering and to just get away..we head to the Peninsula. It is truly an amazing experience and worth every penny.

The rooms are so comfortable and the contemporary design is clean and calming.

The staff goes above and beyond every step of the way.

Its smack dab in the middle of all the action in the city so you are close to everything.

You cannot go wrong here...book your stay today!

• Liked — The outstanding service and beautiful accomidations
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stayed here for a week while in town visiting family and friends. I've stayed at 5 of the 8 Peninsula locations and although this is certainly one of the more luxurious properties they have, the service lags behind the other locations.
Now by no means is the service "bad;" just not up to par with it's sister hotels.
At the other Peninsula locations, I would consider the service (relative to other hotels, not just the Peninsula Chicago) above and beyond; over-the-top; and sublime. At the Peninsula Chicago, I would consider the service as above average.
For instance, at other Peninsula locations, they welcome you with a welcome drink in the room and possibly a light snack. No such greeting at the Chicago Peninsula.
At other Peninsula locations, when the Spa was booked, the receptionist offered to either call me if there were any cancellations and even recommended some local Spas - not at the Peninsula Chicago.
The rooms are great, the location couldn't be better and the restaurants are top-notch. My friends that live in the neighborhood all love The Bar at the Peninsula as well as the Chocolate Bar they have every Friday and Saturday.
It's a wonderful hotel... the service just isn't over-the-top as I've come to expect having stayed at most of their other properties.
The hotel accommodations are important but not as much as customer service. At the 5-star level one expects a high level of customer service. The Peninsula Chicago's customer service is attentive at best, mildly impersonal at worst.
The Park Hyatt next door isn't quite as luxurious (a little too contemporary for my taste) however their service was surprisingly helpful. If location and a high level of customer service is all you desire, you may want to look into the Park Hyatt Chicago; for shorter trips, I know I will.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Pierrot Gourmet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Peninsula Chicago? Share your experiences!