“A great stay in Chicago!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Chicago

You added The Peninsula Chicago to your Saves list
The Peninsula Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East Superior Street, at North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Room Upgrade and Amenity
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Dublin, Ireland
“A great stay in Chicago!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We visited Chicago for 5 days in July and it was a really great place in every respect. We booked visits and shows through the concierge all of which were excellent - go on the untouchables tour and don't miss the Field museum and the art institute! The food in the Peninsula was terrific, especially recommend the Shanghai terrace. The service was polite, attentive and very helpful at every level. Room, executive suite, was spacious and well fitted out. Great location to shops, restaurants and all amenities!

Room Tip: Standard room are fine, we got a free upgrade to a executive suite it isn't a cheap hotel but ve...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Middleburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I love the Peninsula in Chicago because I was first exposed to the flagship hotel in Hong Kong in 1997, and could not believe there is one in Chicago. Throughout the past decade, I have frequented the hotel for various activities, and although I do notice a trend towards less attentive service, in general it is a great place for little indulgences. Went to the terrace today for drinks with friends - what an oasis of luxury. Service was a tad off, but overall I am happy there is the Peninsula.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Dom V,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. I am very flattered by your kind comments about our hotel, especially Shanghai Terrace. I am sorry to hear you find our service lacking. We aim to offer exceptional service and we are sorry we have not lived up to this standard. I hope to hear more about your experience and that you will please contact me directly at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

When making our reservation, the agent insisted on putting us down for early check-in. We ended up arriving 2 hours before check-in, and were told room was almost ready, and they would call us. I called back 2 1/2 hrs later, and after check-in time, and room still not ready. We went to hotel, and girl working at desk was very rude and kept whispering to others about our room, as if we were too stupid to figure out what was happening. A bellman came to take us to our room, but luggage was not ours. Girl at desk whispered again. The bellman was going to take us to the room number originally given to us, which ended up being given to someone else, 3 HOURS after we arrived, and right in front of us! We eventually got room, never got cot they offered, and had to call room service for bedding for pullout TWICE. Not one person apologized for the obvious
disregard of our business.
We usually stay at Four Seasons, and will do so in future. Bell staff and doormen were the highlight of the stay, professional, friendly, and seemed happy to talk to our kids. I was not even going to bother with a review until I read the review about someone's room bring 15 min late, and they were treated much better.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Kate4455,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and sharing your review. We apologize for not being able to accommodate your early check-in. We do our utmost to have a room ready, even if you check-in before our published check-in time, but on this day we obviously failed to do so.

We are sorry to hear that during your stay with us you found our staff service uninviting and lacking. We understand there are many excellent options in Chicago, and I would like to hear more about your experience should you be willing to discuss this further. I hope you will please contact me directly at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I really wanted to give this hotel and excellent, however, I felt as though my room fell just a bit short in a few areas. The room in general felt a bit old and the bed had a distinct creaking which was a bit annoying. Overall the service was very good and the staff throughout the hotel was professional and courteous. The waitstaff at the restaurant, however, was a bit slow and it was hard to grab their attention to get coffee, tea, etc… during breakfast. With a number of great options in Chicago I think one can do slightly better in the same neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear IV12121,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and sharing your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us, but regret to hear you found our wait staff service at the restaurant inattentive and you had issues with your bed and the temperature in your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula Chicago.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I had stayed at the Peninsula at least three times with just my fiancé and was thrilled with the location, the service, the most comfortable bed, luxurious shower, etc. What really, really sold me on this property was....

My fiancé and I decided to have my kids (ages 13, 10 & *8) meet his kids (ages 10 & 8) and thought two nights at the Peninsula would be luxurious to say the least, but having a pool, plus the location made it ideal. Unfortunately though, when we checked in, they were profusely apologetic that our room wasn't going to be ready for another 30 minutes. Again, the front desk clerk was embarrassed, but took my cell phone number, along with our bags, to notify me when to come back.

Less than 15 minutes later the clerk called and graciously asked us if we were ready to come back. Waiting for us in our suite were 3 buckets of ice filled with aluminum bottles of Coca-Cola, and martini glasses filled with gummy bears, jelly beans, malted milk balls, gum balls, all the delicious candy children loved AND BUCKETS of popcorn! Not only that, they called twice a day to see how our stay and accommodations were and if there was anything at all we needed.

With service that like, I would never dream of staying anywhere else when in Chicago. A truly magical property and staff that doesn't make their guests feel like guests, but family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear PhgAnnieGreenEyes,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and sharing your kind comments. I am delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us, our service, amenities and the snacks for the kids. We appreciate your gracious comments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Having never stayed at a Peninsula before, I was unsure what to really expect. I can easily say I was very impressed overall. The room was very spacious and ultra-modern with a great view. The only point of contention was our waiter for breakfast seemed a bit lackadaisical, and we had to wait a while to flag him down to pay the check. Another minor point was the (relatively) early closing time at The Bar in a city that seems to stay open much later than others.
Other than those minor points, the stay was flawless. Location is ideal for anyone hoping to stay in one of best parts of Chicago.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Once again The Peninsula Hotel group didn't disappoint.......the service was perfect, and the room fabulous! Breakfast was delicious, and the eating area was beautiful. Décor throughout the hotel was amazing...very luxurious. The bar was lovely too.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite with fantastic views
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CWIN,

Thank you for visiting The Peninsula Chicago and taking the time to share your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your recent visit, our service, your room, and our food, specifically breakfast. I am also flattered by your comment about The Bar. It truly is a lovely place.

We hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back again very soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Peninsula Chicago? Share your experiences!