“chicago hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Peninsula Chicago to your Saves list
Booking.com Expedia.com
The Peninsula Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East Superior Street, at North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Room Upgrade and Amenity
Ranked #5 of 167 hotels in Chicago
NYC
“chicago hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Peninsula hotel in Chicago was Fantastic.
The service was awesome and the room was terrific.
The location was in the middle of the city Perfect for getting to all the shops and tourist sights.
Their breakfast was very well served and the food was great.
A little pricey but well worth it ; it was our 40th anniversary and they send up to our room
a bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered strawberries.
Steve

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Steve E.,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago to celebrate your 40th anniversary and congratulations! We are thrilled to be a part of your special occasion and appreciate your generous review. We are glad you enjoyed the guest room, location and service, as well as breakfast during your visit. We also appreciate your comments on the service and look forward to welcoming you back again to The Peninsula Chicago.

717 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

In a city with many luxury hotels the Peninsula is in a class by itself by repeatedly demonstrating its continuing regard for the guest, its most important reason for being. One example would be the casual mention of a birthday while enjoying an aperitif in its woody and welcoming bar. Thus, also accompanying the drinks came a tasty mini-dessert with a lighted candle. The wide and welcoming public spaces - far superior to most other luxury hotels in Chicago - are decorated in subtle but distinct near-East colors and styles. One of only 3 Peninsula branded hotels in the United States, the property is ideally sited steps from the Magnificent Mile and Rush Street with its numerous restaurants and night life. Guest rooms offer every imaginable comfort and a few delights not anticipated, such as the built-in bath TV with separate tub controls, or the very large HD tv that graciously swivels bedside, or the various mood-light positions or, well, one could go on and on. Alright, here's one more: North facing rooms have truly exceptional views of the 1869 Water Tower, reputedly the only structure to survive the Great Chicago Fire, and, just behind, the tapering and magnificent John Hancock Center soaring above for 100 floors. In a city of superlatives, the Pen ranks with the best anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Best views - Water Tower and Hancock Building - are in north facing rooms.
Dear Jeromeoconnor,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and for providing your gracious review. We appreciate your kind and thoughtful comments on the décor, location, guest rooms and amenities and are particularly grateful for your comments on our attentiveness to guest satisfaction. We are overjoyed to have met your expectations and pleased we were able to delight with a complimentary birthday dessert!

We look forward to welcoming you back again to The Peninsula Chicago.

Warrington, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We treated ourselves to an Executive Suite for three nights as it was the first days of our honeymoon. The suite was excellent. Very spacious, light and comfortable. The staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful. The spa and pool area are very peaceful with very few other people around. The gym is well appointed and you can always get on the machine that you want. The location is excellent for exploring the city. It's by far the best hotel we've ever stayed in and we hope to explore more of the Peninsula hotels in the future.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Warringtonmcfc,

We thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago to be a part of your honeymoon celebration and congratulations! We are delighted you enjoyed your guest room and found the staff be friendly and helpful. We also appreciate your comments on The Peninsula Spa and Fitness Center, and we are glad you were able to take advantage of the pool during your stay. We hope you do return to The Peninsula Chicago and are able to visit our other locations. Please contact me directly if I am able to assist with your reservation at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just spent July 4-7 at this wonderful hotel. I have been to Chicago many, many times over the years but this is my first stay at the Peninsula. We arrived on a very early flight from TN and arrived at the hotel around 7:30 am expecting to store bags and check in later. Instead the upgraded room was ready and the front desk gentleman took us to the room and showed us around. He even refused a gratuity!
The room was awesome. Great amenities, technology, incredible bath and view.
The fitness center was superb, and the locker room was outstanding. Robes, towels everywhere, steam room, water, chilled washcloths. And a nice fitness center is very important to us.

We then proceeded to the pool sun deck where we were brought chilled water and towels. Ordered room service which was brought right to our loungers. Fantastic. Mark from room service and Jun at the sundeck provided great service.

Lobby bar was very cool. Had some champagne and a fun time there along with a few drinks after dinner.

Already planning another trip to the Peninsula later this month. My only regret was not spending more time in the hotel, especially the Spa. We'll correct that next visit!

Dear N2Knees64,

We are thrilled to receive your review and thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago! We appreciate your thoughtful comments regarding your stay including the room, amenities, technology, view and fitness center. We also thank you for your kind remarks on The Peninsula Spa and we are delighted you were able to enjoy The Spa Sundeck. We are glad you had an enjoyable experience with our staff and room service and we have passed along your comments to Jun’s supervisor.

We are also appreciative of your feedback on The Bar and to hear you are already planning your next trip to The Peninsula Chicago. I would be happy to assist in your reservation, including scheduling your appointments at The Spa, if you would please contact me directly at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

First time staying at this beautiful, elegant hotel, where if your trying to impress a loved one, this is a great experience..

Downtown, upscale hotel. The privacy from checking in on another floor, which is not when you enter the hotel, was classy.

I felt a bit under dressed as I flew in later in the evening as folks where going out for dinner, I was in the elevator with folks from France, Italy, this was the place to stay.

Oh, the rooms, unbelievable, plush, classy, the bathroom I had, well the whirlpool tub, with a a tv built into the wall, which was very discreet. All the lights, and switches are labeled on the wall, mood lighting, turn all the lights on, etc.

The service was great....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dyann_12,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and sharing your comments. We are overjoyed to hear your first experience with us was enjoyable! We appreciate your remarks on the entrance, rooms, technology and bathroom amenities. We also are glad you found the service to be great and the hotel was to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula Chicago again soon!

New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Peninsula in Chicago has everything - comfortable, well-appointed rooms, spacious public areas, a large and well-equipped gym, good restaurants and an exceptional staff. And, it is well located in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was my first time staying at the Peninsula Chicago. I had high hopes. I have stayed at other hotels located off Michigan Avenue and other "five star" hotels around the world. Did this hotel live up to my hopes? Perhaps. First impressions were not that great, but during my stay, this hotel grew on me. I did not valet but parked at a nearby parking structure. Upon entering the hotel, various bellhops offered to take my luggage. I had to take an elevator from ground level to the lobby check in. For going up only a few floors, I thought the elevator was slow. The lobby is pretty but not in a way that takes your breathe away. Also, unlike a few other nice hotels that I've stayed at where they scent the air, I didn't notice any particular "Peninsula scent". Check in was quick and the front desk clerk was extremely friendly. In fact, all staff that I encountered were friendly and over the top helpful. I suspect if I asked one to tie my shoes, he or she probably would have. I think for me, I was expecting a sleek (w style) room. My room was classically designed - it had a sitting area near the bathroom, a bathroom with a stand alone shower, bathtub with a tv, separate room for a toilet, and lots of space in the bedroom space. The desk had an in-room printer/scanner/fax and even better, WIFI was included in the rate. There were master remotes around the room, which meant with the push of a button, you could turn the lights on, tv off or adjust the thermostat. One thing that I like that this hotel didn't have- a button that opens, closes the curtains. Despite being a few stories up, I could still hear the noises from the Chicago streets. Because this hotel is located near a fire station, I heard quite a few sirens through out the night. Everything worked properly in the room and I can't complain about water temperature or shower pressure. I didn't get a chance to check out the gym which I understand has a great view of the Chicago skyline. Perhaps I missed it- I didn't see room coffee/espresso machine. Is this hotel worth the price? I don't know. I was really expecting to be blow away by this hotel. While extremely nice, I didn't feel like it had the wow factor that a $$$$/night hotel should have. I stayed here for work - if staying at a Chicago hotel where I have to pick up the tab, I might opt for different lodgings.

Room Tip: Choose a room higher up to avoid noise from the nearby fire station.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear lhaganmich,

Thank you for staying with us at The Peninsula Chicago during your recent business trip and for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. We are delighted to hear you found the staff to be extremely friendly, the room and bathroom to be spacious and that you enjoyed the in-room guest technology, print/scanner/fax machine and complimentary Wi-Fi. However, we are disappointed to learn you found your visit lacked the “wow” factor you were expecting.

We regret the sounds of the city were an inconvenience and you wished for an in-room coffee machine. We apologize our staff did not point out to you coffee service from our 24-hour room service and the complimentary coffee near the front desk until 8:30 am and in The Spa until 11:00 am every day. If an in-room coffee maker is an item you would like for your next visit, please let us know of your preference and we will note in your profile of your request. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding any other details that could have made your stay with us more memorable. Please contact me directly at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com if you would be willing to discuss your visit.

We hope to welcome you back to The Peninsula Chicago.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Peninsula Chicago? Share your experiences!