“Spectacular attention to detail.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Chicago

Save Saved
You added The Peninsula Chicago to your Saves list
The Peninsula Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East Superior Street, at North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Room Upgrade and Amenity
Ranked #5 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Spectacular attention to detail.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Despite our room not being ready when we arrived at check-in, the rest of our stay more than made up for the minor inconvenience. The rooms are immaculate, decorated tastefully and loaded with all of the tech. accessories you normally do without at other hotels. The dining area in the lobby is a grand room with enormous windows overlooking Michigan Avenue and the food and service there is top notch. I will definitely stay here again on my next trip and will give consideration to the other Peninsula properties if I ever visit those cities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

796 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We loved our few days at the Peninsula. Special details and amazing service were the hallmarks. Our room had an excellent view; at first I was concerned about street noise, but this was unfounded. The cleaning was exceptional with little bows tied around all charger cords.

Great hotel bar too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Smith, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Wow! What an experience! I feel like a judge who has rated the contestants and used 5 on several...then all of a sudden someone does an over the top performance and all I have is a 5 when their performance was definitely a 6. This is the way I feel about this hotel. I have given several hotels a 5 rating and now have nothing left to differientiate this hotel from the others. This hotel was definitely "Over the Top" in service, cleanliness, friendliness, and comfort. Plus the location is just fabulous for the Chicago area. I loved the mood lighting in the room and the comfort of the living area. I didn't even feel the need to use my slippers that were provided or my flip flops I always bring to wear in the room and shower because it just seemed so immaculately clean. The bath was impeccably clean and fresh. The small dressing area was such a nice touch, so impressive from the ordinary dresser. I was here on business so I didn't have a sit down dinner in any of the restaurants, but the food that was served for our business meals were delicious and better than standard conference fare.

When I return for pleasure, I will definitely book this hotel. Since I did not pay for the room, I'm not sure what the price is, but this hotel is so nice, it just won't matter to me. I think it will definitely be worth whatever the price.

Room Tip: My room was on the 14th floor and I faced Michigan Avenue. I had a view of the Lake as well. My ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Birthday trip to Chicago! Yay! The Peninsula was my hands down pick. I love this hotel, the service is perfect, the location great and if you do a bit of searching on the website you can find a deal. We chose the Midwestern Retreat at The Peninsula. Daily continental breakfast for two
daily complimentary parking, our room was upgraded, a daily spa credit and a box of chocolates at check in. Let the party begin! We had cocktails at the cozy bar (and yummy nibbles) before going up to our room. Our room was beautiful and the bed is so comfortable. Next to bed is command central to control all aspects of the room from TV to lights. We had a nice welcome gift from the hotel as well. We ate in the Lobby for dinner and the music was so wonderful. We enjoyed the chocolate bar for dessert. The Spa is fantastic and we enjoyed the massages, pool, steam room and hot tub. I did not want the weekend to end. They graciously kept our luggage so we could spend Sunday in Chicago. Thank you Peninsula!

Room Tip: Love upper floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Friend of The Peninsula,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago for your special birthday trip and again, Happy Birthday! We are happy to have been a part of your celebration and hear you enjoyed the Midwestern Retreat package. We appreciate your gracious feedback about our restaurants and Spa, as well as the comments on our location and service.

We hope to welcome you back again to The Peninsula Chicago.

Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Great location within walking distance of Michigan Avenue shopping, Field museum, Millenium park, and numerous fine restaurants, etc. Pricey, but the room and service were outstanding in both luxury and comfort - well worth the money. Didn't use the spa, but will have something to look forward to on the next visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel experience was such a disappointment. I was very excited to meet up with girlfriends from college for a fun weekend in Chicago. We had booked the hotel well in advance, paying a premium rate, but based on reviews assumed it would be well worth the extra money. We also considered Trump, Four Seasons and Ritz where each of had all stayed before and enjoyed, but wanted to give the Peninsula a try and were really looking forward to a quality experience.

We were off to a good start with very courteous bellman and valet, but that did not last long as our interaction with employees at reception was terrible. There was confusion as to our reservation at check in (I had called to confirm everything early in the week and was told that my reservation was cancelled, which I hadn't done -- the reservation clerk said no problem she would reinstate it). Upon check in, I now somehow had two reservations . .I'm still not sure everything was resolved but we were given our room keys. To top it off the reception staff seemed put off that they had to do any extra work to assist us.

We got to our room, which I have to say was beautiful and spacious. Well, maybe things were looking up! We left the hotel and returned later to have a few drinks at the Lobby Bar. Again the bar is a beautiful space, very cozy and warm. We sat down in a couch seating area in the bar when the waitress approached us and asked us rather rudely if we were sure that we wanted to sit there . . . ??what does that mean?? were in an inconvenient spot for her? very strange.

All of us booked spa services (all working moms, who were looking forward to a day of luxury and serenity!). Upon arrival at the spa, 10 minute before our massage - at check in we were told to hurry up and get ready so that we could enjoy our massage. We were also told that the women's steam room was out of service (this information was not shared upon confirmation of our appts) We were escorted to the women's locker room which was so cold, it was impossible to relax. Despite the fact that there were several available lockers, we were all squeezed in right next to one another. Overall most of had great massages and came out of the room happy . . . until we sat in the lounge chairs to relax. There were four chairs, at least two of them no longer fully function in terms of being able to move the foot or head rest and on all of them the reading light was broken. Additionally, while relaxing, a spa employee entered to replenish the water bottles, but unfortunately he brought the entire shrink wrapped box in and preceded to make a ton of noise opening the package! The Spa did end up giving each of us a credit after our complaints regarding the steam room closure, so kudos to them for following up, but it came only after we made several comments.

The housekeeping staff and room service staff receive high marks, they could not have been nicer and exhibited great customer service. I suggest that the front desk, check in, the spa and the lobby bar waitress take their cues from them to improve their level of customer service.

Overall, the experience of what we expected to be a luxury hotel was just average. We might as well have stayed at a Westin. Very disappointed . . at one point we even considered checking out and checking into one of the other 5 star hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Grady,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago for your recent stay and for taking the time to provide your review. We are disappointed your experience did not meet expectations and we welcome your feedback in efforts to continually improve our services and facilities.
Please accept my apologies for the disappointments you experienced during your stay.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you more about your experience. Please contact me direct at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com.

We hope to welcome you back to The Peninsula Chicago for a more enjoyable experience.

northern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you want it all - service, comfort, class, location, choose the Peninsula Hotel in Downtown Chicago. Restaurants are wonderful. Staff helpful. Rooms have great beds and comforts you wouldn't have thought of. Furnishings are class, class, class. Quiet. Can walk everywhere. Unfortunately seating in outdoor roof restaurant and near pool was very very limited.

Room Tip: You don't have to pay more for a view as all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear lisasf,

We thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and taking the time to provide your kind feedback. We aim to provide the highest pedigree of service and are pleased to hear you found our staff to be helpful.

As Chicago continues to warm this season, the availability of our outdoor dining is highly coveted and we encourage reservations. We hope you were able to dine with us on The Terrace, take advantage of the Pierrot Gourmet patio or order from the Naturally Peninsula menu at The Spa Terrace. Should you join us again, we would be happy to assist with your reservation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peninsula Chicago.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Peninsula Chicago? Share your experiences!