The Peninsula sets a high bar, yet exceeded our expectations. My husband and I booked a winter couples getaway package, which provided a great value (compared to normal rates) with free breakfasts, valet parking, and room upgrade, plus lucky prize draw: we won gourmet chocolates, but there are a number of other pricier potential prizes.
Likes: Location was great, especially for shopping with Saks and Neiman Marcus right next to the hotel. Service was attentive and professional without feeling stuffy. Felt like a pretty strong staff to guest ratio, so no need is likely to go unnoticed or unmet. Concierge was courteous, prompt and effective when we asked for help with getting our dinner bookings moved up at a hard-to-book restaurant. Lots of wonderful little details in room service like evening turndown, bundling up charger cords, fitting our open champagne bottle with a rubber, pourable stopper while we were out, etc. Personal tour of health center and spa was a nice touch. Rooms were lovely, tasteful, and inviting with very large bathrooms. Breakfast and afternoon tea were fantastic, especially the live string duo playing classical music during tea from the balcony overlooking the lobby restaurant. Recommend requesting a window seat when making tea reservations as the 3-story floor to ceiling windows offer fantastic city views. I am a tea freak, and the tea was very good quality, with a nice variety of options. Breakfast/brunch on Sunday is an event: the displays of food and sweets was unreal. We did not travel with kids, but I have never seen a hotel cater to children the way this hotel did. Afternoon tea followed by ice skating on the Peninsula terrace seemed to be a winning combo for guests with kids. Had cocktails at the hotel bar on Friday night and enjoyed people-watching among an eclectic, but mostly well-heeled crowd.
Dislikes: Continental breakfast included hot and cold beverages and three pastries. Though the quality of the breakfast was very good, for $24/person, it would have been nice to have yogurt and fruit included, or cereals as a substitute for some of the pastries. Upgrading to the full breakfast for $11 offered a significantly better balance of food groups. Also, although I am rating cleanliness as a 5 here, my husband did find a green grape on our hotel room floor the night we arrived, which was a little concerning. However, the attention to detail shown throughout the rest of our stay more than made up for it.
Overall: Very highly recommend this property for couples and families. We will certainly make a point to return.
- Also Known As:
- The Peninsula Chicago Hotel
- The Peninsula Chicago Hotel Chicago
- Peninsula Chicago
- Chicago Peninsula
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at Water Tower Park on the "Magnificent Mile," the city’s premier shopping district, The Peninsula Chicago is the city's most luxurious and sophisticated hotel, offering guests all possible amenities and services. The Peninsula Chicago is a proud recipient of the Five-Star, Five-Diamond Award, and was also recently awarded "#1 Large City Hotel In US And Canada" by readers of Travel + Leisure. The Peninsula Chicago's 339 luxurious guestrooms and suites are among the largest in the city and are exquisitely furnished in a contemporary yet classical style, with a state-of-the-art electronic system that provides guests the ability to control guestroom features with the touch of a button. At the top of The Peninsula Chicago, you’ll find the world-renowned Peninsula Spa. An intimate, indulgent environment featuring innovative spa treatments, gracious service and magnificent facilities including a half-Olympic length swimming pool on the 19th floor overlooking the Chicago skyline. With three distinctive restaurants and a bar, guests can choose from a diverse array of superb dining options. Shanghai Terrace is notable as much for its intensely flavored Shanghainese and Cantonese delicacies as for its matchless service and 1930s supper club atmosphere; The Lobby provides an incredible breakfast, lunch and dinner menu, live entertainment and delectable afternoon tea in elegant surroundings; The Bar offers a sophisticated menu of cocktails, port; and Pierrot Gourmet is a European-style cafe ideal for casual, light fare. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo and Venere so you can book your The Peninsula Chicago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.