“Defines Five Stars” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Chicago

You added The Peninsula Chicago to your Saves list
The Peninsula Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East Superior Street, at North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Defines Five Stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I spent 3 days at the Peninsula for a convention. The physical side of the place will either appeal to you or not. What I believe appeals to everyone is the pride, professionalism and service of the staff. Whether the presenter needed an extra reading light for his speech, some extra chairs were needed for the room or there was a special need for the bar, the staff was always there ready to remedy any problem. All one had to do was look like they had a problem, and a staff member was there to help. They beautifully walked the fine line between obsequious and readily available. I could go on about the rooms and the food......but maybe you should find that out for yourself!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ThePeninsulaChicago, General Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Pixelpanderer,

I want to thank you for taking the time to leave a review after spending several days with us during your convention. I am delighted to hear you not only had a chance to enjoy your guestroom and the many restaurants, but also felt well taken care of by our staff during your meetings.

Thank you again for joining us, we look forward to your return.

Best regards,

Maria Zec
Regional Vice President

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
winnipeg, mb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff of the hotel tried to be very curtious, friendly and kind, however, the hotel prices far exceeded the quality. The room air quality was very poor. The room size was not sufficient for a price tag of $ 640.00/ night. The hotel was not geared toward anyone with a physical handicap. The sinks jutted out with black marble, yet it was very difficult to brush my teeth. Their was no grab bar for the toilet or shower. When I asked the housekeeping not to tuck my comforter in at the end of the bed, it was routinely tucked in. Also, the restaurant food was very average for the price, especially in the Lobby Restaurant. At high tea, the bread was stale on the finger sandwiches.The Piero Gourmet had good food but was very noisy. The location was good but very noisy. It needs some work!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Shiny and beautiful at first glance, but scratch the surface and something is missing. As a qualifier; I have stayed at many top hotels around the world including The Peninsula NYC, which this is NOT. Basically, this isn't my first time at the rodeo. Please see my other reviews.

I booked this property for 3 nights through the American Express Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Typically, this entitles you to a room upgrade, free continental breakfast, early check-in/4pm late check-out, and a hotel amenity specific to the property. In this case, that was a 100 dollar credit to be used at the spa. At the time of my booking, there was a promotion for "stay 2 nights, get the 3rd night free".

Check-in was very smooth. When our car arrived, someone was waiting curbside to take us to our room. The driver had clearly given them the heads up about our arrival. Very slick. We were taken directly to the room (we did NOT receive an upgrade) with a view of Rush Street, and the tourist hot-spot/pizza joint across the street. We were not really told any specifics about what was included with our package or other details about the room/hotel; we were given an envelope and asked if we had any questions.

Room: The room is pretty and spacious for an entry-level room. The closet is very small, but there is plenty of room for suitcases. The bathroom is large and well-lit but has only one vanity, which is odd in a hotel of this caliber. There is a full desk with fax machine (people still use those?), and small sitting area with loveseat and cocktail table. There is a central control system for lighting, phone and privacy that works pretty well, but seems antiquated. The one at St. Regis Bal Harbour, for instance, is touch screen, and much more advanced. The whole time I was here, I thought, "this thing would give my parents a coronary". Negatives: single vanity, uncomfortable bed, flat, lifeless pillows, torn sofa cushion and stained desk chair.

Getting in and out of the hotel onto the street is A PROCESS. The location of the hotel is fantastic, but to utilize it, you must take the elevator down to the lobby, walk past the front desk and concierge, down another hall, take another elevator down to another lobby, and go out the door onto the sidewalk. Admittedly, it's kind of a "princess complaint", but it's not very well thought out, and I thought it would prove problematic if there were a fire in the hotel. Just my opinion.

Room Service: Ordering was easy, the food came within the window they specified, and by room service standards, the food was above average for taste and presentation.

Service: A month before arrival, someone from the hotel called to see if there was anything special I needed. I set up car-service from the airport, and also explained that we would be celebrating a birthday and I would like a cake for the room on our first night when we returned from dinner. I was told that I would get a call back that afternoon, after she spoke with the pastry chef. A week passed with no call, so I called the concierge, spelled out all the details again, feeling confident that it would all work out. Three days before our stay, I got another call from the hotel saying that someone had spoken to the pastry chef, and did I still want a cake. I said, "yes, I want a cake, but I never heard back from you, so I worked it out with the concierge." She said, "oh, I will contact the concierge and cancel their order and put this one in instead." I said they could work it out between the two of them since I had given both the exact same details about the cake.

Day of arrival: The car service was wrong. I specified a type of car (because we were celebrating I wanted everything top-notch), which wasn't there; although the staff at the airport from Metropolitain were very friendly and efficient. After going out for lunch at Pierrot Gourmet (hotel restaurant) where the service was poor if I am being nice, and shopping before dinner, we returned to the room to find the cake on the table waiting for us. Nothing like a big piece of chocolate cake BEFORE dinner!

Check out: I was charged for the third night on my bill, which they would not adjust, despite the fact that I had confirmation from AMEX. Instead, they offered the use of their phone so I could hash the issue out publicly in their lobby while other people are checking in and checking out. I declined, and said I would address it when I got home. It felt very... Econo-Lodge.

Bottom line: Blame me, blame AMEX, but at the end of the day it falls to The Pen to coordinate their programs, and that wasn't the only issue. The bar is chic and beautiful, room service is above average, the rooms are spacious and quiet. We did not receive an upgrade, despite the hotel not being full, which I confirmed with a staff member. I thought the service was inconsistent, I did NOT feel valued as a guest, and since I am spending my first day home after the trip squabbling with the hotel and AMEX about 600+ dollars in charges, instead of basking in the memories, I would probably not return. I hear the Waldorf-Astoria is gorgeous, with similar rates and larger, newer rooms with fireplaces!

Room Tip: I'm certain the rooms on Rush and Superior are quieter, but the view adds something to the exper...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I usually give the Peninsula a five star rating but on my last trip I had an issue with the location of mini bar and safe under the TV in the wall. Before heading to dinner, I pushed the TV back toward the wall (out from turn down service), and bent down to get my wallet out of the safe. As I stood up, the TV had swung back over my head from the wall and I cracked my head open, blood everywhere. I was able to make it to the lobby, only to pass out. Security called the ambulance and fire department, but after signing a liability waiver so I could leave the hotel, no one ever checked up on me again. I could have easily gone back to my room and passed out dead from a concussion. The Peninsula is one of the best business hotels in all of the US, but watch out for that TV and make sure it is pushed hard back in to the wall!!! The safe and mini bar should be moved out from underneath it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Poole, Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here prior to going to the Ryder Cup. The service was the thing that we remember the most. Staff are obviously very well trained and it made it a very relaxing stay with everything we wanted taken care of. Our room was great with fabulous views. We splashed out on an executive site but hand't realised that it came with the use of a fabulous mini cooper plus driver at our disposal for up to 3 hours a day. This was pure luxury. Room service was also excellent and they even brought our deserts 20minutes after our main course. Not cheap overall but worth it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BMLPoole,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peninsula during your recent visit to Chicago. I am pleased to hear our service and staff have made a lasting impression on you. We strive to ensure every guest feels welcome and relaxed during their stay.

I’m glad you enjoyed the view from your suite and hope you have a chance to take advantage of our convenient MINI Cooper service during your next trip to Chicago.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Maria Zec
Regional Vice President
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just returned from a five night stay in an executive suite at the Peninsula Hotel and it couldn’t have been better. The suite with windows on three sides looking out on Michigan Avenue and Lake Michigan, just fantastic. The hotel staff were all very nice, friendly and helpful. The hotel offers a three hour tour in their custom mini-cooper for suite occupants. We did it one afternoon lots of fun, do if you can and ask for Dwayne. Hotel also offers a hotel car to run you place in town for dinner or a show. Nothing not to like about this hotel, we will be back soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was completely impressed by the level of service as well as how well our room was maintained. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay. All staff were exceptionally courteous and helpful. Housekeeping was the best I have experienced in the past year. Yes, the rates are not cheap, but you get value for your money. I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Peninsula Chicago? Share your experiences!