“The Peninsula is the pinnacle of service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Chicago

You added The Peninsula Chicago to your Saves list
The Peninsula Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East Superior Street, at North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Rainbow City, Alabama
“The Peninsula is the pinnacle of service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Anyone can claim to offer "superior service", but the staff at The Peninsula Chicago make it their mission to define the term. From the moment I arrived I was treated like an honored guest. I caught an early flight and arrived for check-in around 9:30 AM. The staff person at the check-in desk was genuinely friendly and greeted me with a warm smile. I was provided Wi-Fi access while I waited for my room to be prepared and when I had trouble logging technical support was called to quickly resolve the issue.

The room was immaculate and my bag was brought up promptly after I entered. The bellman offered to show me the features of the room and helped me find the very modern room safe when I had trouble locating it. The bathroom was luxuriously appointed with a spacious walk-in shower, a large tub, dressing table, and television. The toiletries were of such high quality that I preferred them over my own.

The windows were fully-functional and offered a beautiful view of downtown Chicago. The room featured a "master panel" that controlled the numerous lighting configurations, TV, radio, and privacy options. The wall unit that housed the television was done in a rich wood and featured a large flat screen model that swiveled towards the bed for ease of viewing. The cabinet also contained a superbly stocked mini-fridge and snack drawer.

As a business traveler I greatly appreciated the separate work desk with a slide-out fax machine. I was also impressed with the multimedia inputs integrated into the television cabinet... There were connections for an iPod, memory card reader, HDMI cable, and laptop computer. The room supplied everything needed to operate a small office and was suitable for meeting with clients or business associates.

For those that enjoy maintaining their fitness regimen while traveling, the exercise amenities are sure to please. There is a beautiful indoor lap pool area on the 20th floor with large glass window panes that offer a view of Lake Michigan. The 25-meter lap pool has three lanes and uses non-chlorine additives. The area also has a whirlpool and a sundeck. The fitness area has the latest aerobic and strength training equipment with a locker room that is as well kept as the guest rooms. Although I did not use the full-service Spa, it also seemed to be exceptional.

The Peninsula has four restaurants and numerous organic, all-natural, and free-range offerings for the health conscious. Given the culinary delights found in downtown Chicago, most of my dining was done outside the hotel. I did have lunch at "The Terrance" restaurant and the food was truly excellent. Although I did find myself wondering if all the in-house offerings might be a bit overpriced even for Chicago standards.

In summary, The Peninsula Chicago is a modern and luxurious hotel with an outstanding staff that is focused on seeing that each guest has the most pleasurable experience possible. The reputation of the Peninsula Hotels is well-deserved and even the most finickiest of guests would be well-pleased.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed two nights at the hotel for our anniversary and I could not be more pleased. The service was outstanding and they went our to their way to make our trip amazing.

Room Tip: Make sure to get up to the Pool early in the morning to get a comfortable lounge chair and a cup of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Trede212,

Thank you so much for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us at The Peninsula. We are honored you decided to celebrate such an important occasion at our hotel. I was ecstatic to hear your weekend was exceptional and that you had a chance to experience our relaxing pool area and sundeck.

I hope you will think of our hotel the next time you are planning a visit to Chicago. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I thought its only fair to provide an update to an earlier review I submitted from a few months ago, which felt the service level was in decline. Happy to note....it was a blip..since had no issues during my latest visit. Great location, service is top notch as I used to remember it. The shanghai terrace restaurant is great. Try and get a table outside.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Riplip3,

Thank you so much for returning to The Peninsula and granting us a second opportunity. I am pleased to hear you had an excellent experience with our staff and service during your recent stay with us. I am also excited you were able to find time to dine at Shanghai Terrace to experience our new summer menu as well.

Thank you again for your continued loyalty to The Peninsula, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,

Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We love this hotel. It is one of our two favorites in Chicago. While almost everything was up to the hotel's usual very high standards, there were couple of problems. First, our room was being cleaned even before we checked out--even though our luggage was clearly visible near the door. Second, we were ignored as we waited for our car, and didn't get any attention until we found it, and opened the trunk to start loading. (There were several members of the staff present who were not engaged with other guests. Perhaps this is because we didn't have a bellman bring down our two bags. That would be very surprising and utterly uncharacteristic of the Peninsula.)

Our suite was recently redecorated--we didn't care for the eclectic look, but realize that's a matter of tastes. One more negative: it was hard to regulate the temperature between the bedroom and the living room. The BR got too hot as the evening went on, and the LR was always very cool.

Other than the above, we enjoyed our stay. I love the hotel and continue to rank it number one in Chicago. My wife, on the other hand, found nothing to change her ranking it second. My breakfasts--salmon bagels, each day--were outstanding. Also, we had a wonderful snack at Pierrot Gourmet and recommend it highly. Finally, we had a superb view of Michigan Ave.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I am what I would call a hotel snob... I have a laundry list of what I like in a hotel and a running list of hotels that I would not dare to dream of being a guest. I had grown fond of Ritz Carlton chains, however in recent years, their service is lacking as well as toiletries offered being sub-par. St Regis is good, but oh The Peninsula is magnificent! The service is incredible with a can do attitude!!!

My husband had his shoes shined (a complimentary service) and returned in a prompt manner. They came back looking brand new!

The housekeeping was just FANTASTIC! We left newspapers unfolded on the coffee table, iphone plugs dangling, hair curling plugs dangling and toiletries askew. Upon our return, those items were neatly folded, plugs wrapped up, and toiletries aligned! WOW!!! We showered, changed and left out again. Upon our returned, the second turn down service did the same thing! Cords wrapped and toiletries aligned! My hubby took a photo!

We had room service deliver breakfast. They were prompt, kind and courteous! He even offered to pour our coffee! Everything, especially the pancakes were delicious!

Wonderful weekend and looking forward to a return! We left wishing that all hotels could be like this one......

Dear Ms. Caligirl39,

I want to thank you and your husband for choosing to stay with us at The Peninsula during your recent visit to Chicago. I am delighted to hear you and your husband experienced pleasant service throughout the weekend, I will pass on the compliments to our entire team.

We are always happy to read positive reviews and appreciate you taking the time to write about our hotel. We are thrilled you had a wonderful experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm wishes,

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We just returned from two nights at the Peninsula. I have never experienced better service even at similar priced hotels. I loved all the little extras especially for our kids (little teddy bears wearing Peninsula uniforms, fun treats brought to the room, etc.). The pool and gym were extremely nice for a city hotel and we enjoyed both each day. We also loved the fact that they did not charge extra for amenities such as wifi. On the day we checked out, the front desk told me to email my boarding passes to the concierge and they were ready and waiting for us whe we were leaving. I highly recommend this hotel. Yes, it is pricey, but well worth it especially if you get to enjoy some of the amenities.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear SR40,

I want to thank you for staying with us recently at The Peninsula Chicago. We are so pleased to hear you and your family had a chance to enjoy the pool and our children’s welcome amenities. We greatly appreciate your compliments regarding our service and our staff’s attention to detail.

We look forward to welcoming you and your entire family back next time you visit Chicago. In the meantime, if there is anything I or my staff can do for you, please let us know via phone or e-mail.

Warm regards,

Plano, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Got to spend a night here for a business conference. Very good service, everything impeccably clean and new. You know you're somewhere a bit different when the bellman offers to "show you the features of your room". Little command center next to the bed, large TV that swivels out from the wall, windows that actually open a few inches, an fax machine in the room, built in phone and TV with the tub, nice separate shower. All requests were addressed quickly and efficiently. No, you won't find a microwave or ironing board here, though the minifridge is big enough to hold a few items. Unpack the suit and get a quick freshening, $35. Basic no frills bacon and egg breakfast, $30. But if you are staying here, you know this is just the way it works. The bed was excellent.

Note there are some very nice views from the outdoor patio on the 4th floor, a walk down from the lobby on the 5th. Lots of quality deck furniture, large plantings, shade if desired.

I did try out the gym, very nicely equipped, including a large room all mirrored up for your yoga or martial art needs. Vast collection of weight and cardio equipment. Floor to ceiling glass, 20th floor, so nice views. I ordered a personal trainer to work with, and that went wonderfully. Selma charged me for an hour, but worked with me for more like 90 minutes, and was great. Very professional, very knowledgeable, and a nice person as well. Talked details of techniques, as well as nutrition, etc.

And surprisingly, no nickel and diming on every little item. Wifi was free and throughout the hotel. Around 4PM they brought up a loaded up fruit plate, just cause.

As I was a bit early arriving, I ventured across the street to Rosebud, a little corner Italian restaurant. Sat outside, sipped a glass of wine, had some good food, very nice way to relax.

Overall, loved it, and would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: I imagine the higher the better. The El is not far away, and makes its share of noise. And the polic...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your kind words about The Peninsula Chicago, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your comments about the layout of our guestrooms as well as the convenient business amenities. It sounds like you had a chance to relax with a morning workout during your stay, which can be hard to do during a business conference.

Also, in the future we can place an iron, ironing amenities and even a microwave in your room in advance if you let any of our staff members know.

We do hope to see you in the near future and look forward to your next stay.

Best regards,

Regional Vice President - USA East Coast

Been to The Peninsula Chicago? Share your experiences!