“Perfect Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Chicago

Save Saved
You added The Peninsula Chicago to your Saves list
The Peninsula Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East Superior Street, at North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Room Upgrade and Amenity
Ranked #5 of 172 Hotels in Chicago
USA
“Perfect Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at the Peninsula Chicago celebrating our anniversary. First class all the way.
This hotel lobby is actually on the 5th floor, which makes the hotel quiet and intimate. The Bar located on the 5th floor is the perfect size. Dark and cozy, well decorated with attentive service. Our accomdation was in the Executive Suite, which has a little over 700 square feet. It was awesome, with a separate living area, separate dressing area, and separate bedroom. Lots of technology in the lighting which was fantastic. The whirlpool tub had a large picture window overlooking the city. The room has everything you would ever ask for. When we arrived, we were escorted to our room by the desk clerk. Upon arrival in our suite, we were greeted with a bottle of Champagne, compliments of the Manager, along with chocolate covered strawberries. Nice not to be nickled and dimed as wireless internet was complimentary along with the morning newspaper, not to mention the coffee bar located in the lobby. There is nothing not to love about this hotel. I am repeating myself, but their Bar is about the classiest I have seen. First Class A Plus. Their website also is outstanding. It provides a wonderful view into their accomodations including photos and floor plans for all accomodation choices. My Continental (now United) Presidential Credit Card allows me to ask for a free upgrade, so I simply booked a King Deluxe Room and was upgraded to the next level of rooms, which was the Executive Suite. I really appreciate the information on their website regarding the accomodations. This is a can't miss hotel if you are looking for something romantic and intimate. The locations is also outstanding for shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Check out their website as it includes Floor Plans of all accomodations. I wish other hotels would p...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I have stayed at the Peninsula maybe once a month for the last six months. There have been a couple glitches from time to time. That is to be expected if you travel a lot. At the Peninsula they take active steps to fix those glitches, and do so in a very positive way. The rooms are very nice. I would recommend one of the suites. The bar downstairs has a great atmosphere. I made a mistake of ordering a double of a fancy bourbon and drinking the whole thing.

The location is right in the middle of things. That helps on those cold windy days when you want to go somewhere, but don't want to spend a lot of time outside.

The fitness center has the best overall range of equipment that I remember for a dedicated exercise facility that is not part of a larger independent fitness center that just so happens to be attached to a hotel.

I have stayed at most of the high end hotels in Chicago. The Peninsula is the best in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I decided to go to Chicago this past weekend for a little business and a little pleasure. EVERYTHING was booked! All along the Mag Mile....Omni, Allerton, etc. etc.....

I'd stayed on the Peninsula years ago but was too green to know a good hotel from a great hotel. But I left today...TOTALLY satisfied, and I am one PICKY SOB. :)

I walked in Saturday to the registration desk and was greeted by Cecilia. I told her I'm in town for the night, don't have a room booked anywhere, and I don't want to pay a LOT of money. Well, she fixed me up with a room, and what was simply the best rate available...no special deals even with my charm and good looks, ha, ha. So....$395, and away I went to a slightly upgraded room.

It was GREAT. The lighting, the colors, the cleanliness, the unmistakable attention to detail in every inch of the room was like being wrapped in a luxurious warm blanket. It just felt to GOOD! Super comfortable bed, a bathroom fit for a king, nice view, wonderful electronics (A/V, lighting, music, etc.) Five star...all the way.

But here is what is different. I'm indeed used to nice hotels all over the world. But HERE, HERE, I found true customer service in EACH and EVERY employee! The Valet gentleman, the porters, Cecilia at registration, the MAID SERVICE was amazing!!! On this one point, let me elaborate. Each time I left my room (seemingly) I'd return to find my iPad cord wrapped up neatly, my toiletries, arranged label out, towels refreshed, slippers by the bed, plasma screen extended, ice in the bucket, bottle of water by the bed, etc, etc.... WONDERFUL! Our lovely maid from Sierra Leon in Western Africa was a gentle, proper, elegant woman who could NOT have done a better job. It's as though I had a dream about GREAT SERVICE, and thanks to my poor planning by not having a room reserved and serendipitously ending up at the Peninsula, it all came true. It was a pleasant surprise at EACH turn.

They don't nickel and dime you either. Free WiFi, free coffee, shoe shines, tea, newspaper, and such. I know it's petty to mention that but so often at a hotel, you pay through the nose and then get hit for WiFi. I hate that. And I've NEVER had a free shoe shine. I didn't accept it, but it was all offered. Made me feel like royalty.

I'm not a rich guy, and really shouldn't spend $395 plus parking and such on a night in a room, but let me say...it WAS worth it. It makes me want to work HARDER in life so I can afford such luxury again and again.

Plus they're in my FAVORITE cities! Bangkok, Beijing, Paris, LA, NYC, Manila.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful in every way. Expensive? A little . Worth it, yep!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I love this hotel. The second time I have stayed here - it has to be the best hotel in Chicago.

The rooms are really comfortable and the bathrooms fantastic.

The bar is very cool and the staff are really helpful

The spa is wonderful with an amazing gym and beautiful 25m pool

The location is perfect. Just around the corner is the Ralph Lauren restaurant which is a must do - certainly my favourite in the CIty.

I would definitely recommedn and always stay here if available

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed at The Peninsula for 3 nights in February. I always stay at 5 star hotels, mostly Trump or Park Hyatt. When I found out I was supposed to go to Chicago, I called Amex and the Peninsula was recommended to me as one of the most popular hotels chosen by Amex holders.
The hotel was fine but.. I received a $100 spa credit. Great gift if you can use it. I was not able to. There were only 4 available spa appointments during my 3 day stay, neither of them was what I was interested in. I was told they were booked because of the Valentine's Day.. When I asked to exchange my benefit to food and drink credit, the answer was 'no'. I had to call Amex and they spoke to a hotel manager about it.
The room was nice, clean and comfortable but small - if you go to the Trump Hotel, you are immediately upgraded to a suit. Their swimming pool is much smaller than the one at Trump.
Hard to find a concierge - I tried 3 times, unsuccessfully. Finally, when I found him (with a little help from a receptionist), I was told they had no business facility in their hotel ! I personally had called the Peninsula before I made a reservation and I was assured the business room would be available. The concierge recommended "a nice bar" in the area...
I spent extra hours looking for a place where I could meet my clients.
Overall, the Peninsula did not meet my expectations and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We recently stayed at The Peninsula for a girl's weekend in the windy city. It was definately a splurge but the hotel and the staff were wonderful. From the moment we stepped off the plane we were treated like royalty from The Peninsula staff. We stayed in an executive suite. The room was beautiful with a great view of Michigan Avenue. There were two bathroom, two full size beds, an executive desk with a fax machine, several phones, tvs, and a fully stocked bar.

There were areas of the room that I thought were a little outdated and could use some attention, like the old Trinitron tube style television in the bedroom but overall it was a wonderful place.

We were showed up to our room when we arrived and given very personal service. On multiple occasions staff rang our doorbell just to see if we needed water or anything else.

A three day stay cost us over $2K so this isn't something I could stay often but it was a great experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
lisbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Had a wonderful stay at the end of February. The hotel is all you expect from a Peninsula and both the breakfast area and room are fantastically welcoming and comfortable, makes you feel right at home....will definitely go back on my next visit to Chicago.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Peninsula Chicago? Share your experiences!