“Great location, but feels like a budget hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile

You added Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   216 East Ontario Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #47 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, but feels like a budget hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

The location of this hotel is amazing, a block from the Magnificent Mile, a 7-11 around the corner, a bus to Union Station right outside the door. I couldn't fault them on that or how easy it was to get to.

The hotel has obviously been updated recently, with a lot of flashy modern decor, bright lights etc. It looks nice on the surface but once you enter the hotel the older, cheaper hotel look is still there.

We stayed in a king 'suite' which would have been a small room without the divide, but it felt even smaller with the wall in there. I realize that mattress firmness is a very individual preference, but this bed was way too soft for us. I barely slept and my back was really aching by morning.

Breakfast is always free here which was great, the selection was limited to the usual free breakfast choices - bagels, donuts, yoghurts, cereal, waffles etc.

I don't know if we would stay here again. I probably would recommend it to friends for the location but only if they were on a budget.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Kabul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

The friendly and helpful staff is far and away what distinguishes the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown. Certainly the accommodations are excellent for a hotel in this price range, but the staff is what really makes this an exceptional hotel. They are quick with restaurant or entertainment recommendations and will go the extra mile to help you get what you need. During my stay, I wanted to pick up some Girl Scout cookies and one of the hotel employees actually put me in touch with his niece so I could put in an order.

Additionally, the hotel's location is unbeatable. It's short walk from Michigan Ave. and other great Chicago attractions. The continental breakfast includes a waffle maker, which is quite a nice touch. You can't go wrong with the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
FairfieldChicagoMGT, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your kind words. Comments like yours are the reason why we are in the hospitality business. We truly do strive to provide the best service possible and to make our guests feel as if they are at a home away from home. I can not wait to share your comments with the staff. They will be so excited to hear them and I am very proud to share it with them.

thank you again for time and for staying with us
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I was staying in chicago for just one night on a business trip and chose this hotel due to it's location close to where my meeting was. Not only was this hotel close to my meeting, but it was within walking distance of many restaurants and bars, Timothy O'Tooles right across the street was great. Very clean, great service. the only thing that was a negative to me was the EXPENSIVE valet charge ($40 per night) and you could park yourself for free, it cost $32 to self park. There were no other self parking lots around this area so using the hotel garage was the only option. That being said, I did have a great view from my hotel window of a very frozen Lake michigan. would definitely stay here again!

sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I was travelling for business and found the Fairfield a comfortable modern hotel, with exellent amenities, right in the heart of Chicago. Hotel has it all, comfortable suite, large comfortable bed, large bathroom, closets, living room. I could work, rest and find great restaurants, shops all within walking distance.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

This hotel is very small, but the location is 1 block east of Michigan Avenue. We walked to Gino's Pizza and they gave us a "priority seating" voucher at the Bell Desk which came in handy. The lobby is very small, but modern and cozy. 2nd floor breakfast area was large, clean, well stocked and good. Our 2 queen room was very clean. Our room was right by elevator on 7th floor, but we couldn't even hear it run! Would recommend!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Chicago Suburbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

After reading the many, many positive reviews, I didn't have any worries about booking a stay here for a weekend getaway w/ a friend. And...as expected...we had a very good experience. The lobby is small but very sleek & modern. Every staff member was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean & comfortable. Even though the hotel is in a GREAT location, just a block & half off Michigan Ave, it was too cold for us wimps to walk around so we cabbed instead. Valet parking is only $9 more and worth it because the self park is on the next street over and down a little, plus it offers in/out privileges.

We had reserved a room w/ two doubles and asked to be away from the elevators since my friend & I are both light sleepers. We were told that all the doubles are by the elevators & the kings make up the rest of the rooms on each floor, but were assured that there was soundproofing so we shouldn't hear the elevator noise. We were happy to find this true- we didn't hear a PEEP from the elevators, just the crying baby next door.

A breakfast buffet is included which had all the standard cereal, yogurt, bagels, juice etc, plus hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, a waffle maker & batter and breakfast sandwiches & mini-quiches that you could heat in the microwave.

It's not a 5 star plush hotel w/ fancy robes and such but you can't beat the cleanliness & value for the money here.

The only negative was that we came back after a long Saturday night out & were planning to watch a pay-per-view movie, but the tv's do not have that option. Oh well...minor detail.

Thanks Fairfield- I will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Monthey, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We was to the FairField Chicago for 3 nights in September, and that was second stay in "Marriott" hotels in Chicago.

This hotel had really good price (for good room, large, with sofa, 2 tv's) at a higher floor.

The room (bed) was confy, the hotel is really near Michigan Ave, good restaurants near the room and parking near the hotel.

I go back to Chicago next month and I will go back to this hotel!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!