“What a greek surprise !” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Taxim is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #401 of 8,264 restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Ave.
Transit: CTA bus: 56 Milwaukee, 70 Division, 72 North Blue Line train: Damen or Division stop Cabs are also plentiful in the area.
chicago/Bali
“What a greek surprise !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We came for the DJ's (Saturday night) and decided to call ahead and get a reservation to eat before the show... and snag a good table. The 3 salads we ordered (all vegetarian) were good to very good. But the whole Mediterranean Sea Bass was outstanding, and at $32 a relative bargain. Dare I say, it was even more delicious than at Santorini in Greek town.
And then we danced!

• Visited February 2013

82% Recommend
Illinois
“Unique & Delicious, if Spendy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We dined here on a recent Monday night and the dining room was rather empty. On a busier night, I expect the dining room would have been rather loud. But the decor was warm and pleasant, and the copper-clad tabletops added character. Our server was efficient and knowledgeable, and guided us through the menu. We selected a handful of "small plates" which were served tapas style, and each selection was unique and tasty. It seemed everything was house-made with skill and care, and we were very happy with our meal and glass of white wine. But it cost us over $50 each, plus tip, so I have to say that I won't be back for a long while. Nevertheless, I was glad to experience this Greek food that went far beyond the mundane dolmas, etc. that I'd expected.

• Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Never disappoiinted!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I love this place. I've loved everything I've ever had here, without fail. The owner and staff are great. The staff can easily help you navigate the all-Greek wine list with excellent options at all price levels. The flavor combinations are so unique and delighful. This is SO not Greek Town Greek food: no flaming cheese or "Ohpahs!" to be found!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Greek food like you've never had before”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I love Taxim -- they make everything from scratch down to the pita bread, and they take Greek food to a level rarely seen in the states. Insane seafood, duck gyros will blow your mind.

Visited July 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Super Savory”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Dinner at Taxim was excellent. This is not your average gyro spot and the food is cooked and spiced to perfection. We enjoyed the grilled octopus, lamb shank and duck gyros, all of which were out of this world good. The lamb was moist, tender, and rubbed in a fantastic concoction of spices, served over an orzo that had me scraping the plate. The duck gyros were exceptional (albeit, like most duck, a little fatty), enveloped in a thin gyro shell and served over a thick and hearty tzatziki sauce and served with duckfat french fries. For dessert, we had baklava, which I also highly recommend. We will definitely return to this neighborhood gem.

• Visited December 2012