“All I can say is I tried!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown Lakefront

You added Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown Lakefront to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown Lakefront
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   511 North Columbus Drive, Chicago, IL 60611 (Streeterville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Suite Spring Savings
Ranked #77 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Detroit, MI
“All I can say is I tried!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I attempted to make reservations at this hotel for the NRA Show this May 2010 and spoke with the Reservations Manager (Vanessa) about a certain promo that the online system was not accepting, she took my name and number and said she would call me back. The next day, I didn't hear from her, so the following day after that I called and was connected to her voicemail to leave a message, I left the message to please call me. She still to this day (3 weeks later) has not called me back.

So, what does that tell me? It tells me that she doesn't want to deal with me as a prosective customer. So, if I am not a very important customer when making a reservation, how am I going to be important when I spend $315 per night to stay at their hotel?

Being a hospitality student myself, I believe this is NOT the way to treat your customers, by ignoring them.

Moving on to the "W" hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Our family enjoyed a long weekend in Chicago and a comfortable stay at the Embassy Suites Downtown Lakefront - and appreciated being upgraded to a larger corner suite following inquiry upon arrival. Like many, we seek out Embassy Suites when traveling with the kids as you can't beat the suite rooms, free breakfasts, manager's receptions, and atrium space. There are 2 Embassy Suites in downtown Chicago very close to each other and I ultimately chose this one based on its 2008 remodel. Although nothing that follows spoiled our stay, here are my gripes having paid about $200/night: (1) The bathroom needed maintenance and housekeeping. The curved shower curtain rod was so loose that the curtain wouldn't stay closed on either end; grout along the top of the tub appeared mold-ready; floor tile never sparkled; tub faucet was loose; light bulb was out for days; toilet paper dispenser placement required you to be a contortionist to access it; and the absence of any venting fogged up the entire suite during showers leaving visible moisture everywhere. And, (2) despite the ES website touting new flatscreens in the living room areas, we had an old tube TV; (3) we waited over an hour for an extra blanket and pillow to be delivered for the kids sleeping on the pull-out sofa; (4) our food tray from room service (dirty dishes) sat out in the hall for 2 days; (5) the chlorine was too strong in the tiny pool; (6) the bar sink faucet was loose; (7) creamer packets for coffee weren't always replaced; (8) and there were never enough hand towels (there are 3 separate in-room sinks). Still, we rate ES Chicago Downtown Lakefront very good - and a little more "attention to the details" would have earned it excellent. (PS: Cheers to the hardworking bar staff during the nightly manager's reception!)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

I stayed at this facility for 7 days last week and I have nothing but good things to say. I had my 3 and four years old girls with me and a group of 5 other women. The staff, the faciility, the accomodations were very nice. After only a couple days, the staff knew me and greeted me as if they were really glad to have me. The hotel is located close enough to everything you want to see but far enough away from the hustle and bustle that you're able to enjoy it. The breakfast and cocktail hour was a nice add on. I attended the breakfast each day and never had a problem with anything served. I travel for business a lot and would rate this as one of my top places to stay. I can't say enough about the staff! Kudos to them. My only complaint is that you have to pay for the internet service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
West Chester, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

We stayed on a Friday & Saturday night in February while traveling to Chicago for a gymnastics meet at Navy Pier. The rooms were huge by big city standards. The bedrooms were separate from the living area, so they were quiet even when the atrium was loud. The manager's reception (basically an open bar) was fantastic and the breakfast, featuring made-to-order omelettes, was superb. The hotel was within walking distance of both Navy Pier and Michigan Ave. Parking is expensive ($42 self park/night), but it's comparable to everything else in the city. We will definitely stay here again next time we go to Chicago!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

The hotel is well maintained and a half dozen or so blocks from Navy Pier. We enjoy staying at Embassy Suites hotels when traveling since they offer a quite nice breakfast with your stay as opposed to a meager continental breakfast that most others offer. The staff working the breakfast did their best, but the hotel was obviously understaffed on the weekend we stayed. Nightly managers reception with complimentary drinks(both alcohol and non-alcohol) and chips/salsa. Parking approaches $50 per day for valet and $42 for park yourself. Warning: if you plan on driving the city while there and self park, your total fees WILL exceed valet rates. Best to park the car in a nearby lot for about $30.00 a day and use taxis for local trips. Lastly, internet runs ~$15/day...something that drives me nuts for a hotel that averages between $130-$150 a night and that much lower brands offer complimentary.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

stayed at the embassy suites for 9 nights arrived new years eve,hotel was packed,
check in was no problem, the room i booked into was fantastic, spacious ,spotlessly clean and very quite,
only problem i had on my stay was i was charged $50 for overnight parking( i didn't have a car) but when i complained at reception the bill was removed,

reception staff were very helpful and friendly,
cleaning staff were great and quite (no banging doors etc etc)

breakfast was really great, lots of choice and plenty of room,waiting staff were also great, very friendly and efficient,

hotel location was great short walk to shopping ,dining and metro,

one of the best hotels i have stayed ever

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown Lakefront, responded to this review, February 11, 2010
Dear Guest -

Oh my goodness....what a fabulous review of the Embassy Suites Chicago Lakefront! You are so gracious and kind to say so many nice things about our hotel, our team members and our services. I have shared your comments with the entire team and everyone here is thrilled to see such a wonderful endorsement of our establishment. This is exactly why we come to work every day and try our best to please our customers.

Thank you again for your nine-day visit with us and we sincerely hope that you will return to Chicago in the not-too-distant future. It will be our pleasure and our honor to serve you again.

In the interim, please stay safe and we wish you continued good fortune and the best of health!

Warmest regards,
Syed

Syed E. Hasan
Winchester, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

We have stayed in a few Embassy Suite Hotels - in Washington DC, in Monteray Bay CA, and in New York. We're a family of five, with three young boys. So finding a room for five is never easy, and the ESH chain are always accommodating. This one, whilst presentationally impressive, has a few flaws that made this less good than the others, in my humble opinion.

The Good Things:

- Big room, smart decoration throughout hotel, and good room facilities (microwave and fridge);

- Friendly and helpful staff;

- Good value for money - we paid about $300 for two nights' stay

The Less Good Things

- Really thin walls - we were unlucky that we had a noisy family next door. But even when their kids weren't shouting, you could hear everything. I think this is a pretty dire problem, especially if you sleep lightly. Everytime their room door shut, our room shook!

- Breakfast was a bit disappointing - no fruit salad on the first morning (just oranges and bananas in a bowl), and a selection that generally compared badly with other ESHs we have stayed at.

- No mugs at breakfast or in the room. Everything was polystyrine cups, which is not how I want my coffee in the morning - unless I am on a building site. And a lot of the cutlery was disposable plastic too. Not very environmentally friendly. But also generally just not very nice.

- Huge Qs for the complimentary evening drinks - it took a good ten minutes to get a (small) drink from the bar. Which made the whole Managers Reception thing a bit of a drag. We didn't bother the second evening (when the Qs were just as bad). They really do need more bar staff for the rush hour. I felt a bit cheated.

The Verdict

If you need a room for 5, this isn't a bad option at all. But if your personal circumstances mean you don't, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. I think you can get better, especially in the winter.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown Lakefront, responded to this review, January 26, 2010
Dear Guest -

Thank you very kindly for your candid and constructive feedback. We found your comments extremely helpful and have taken the opportunity to review them with all of the concerned disciplines.

We were delighted to hear that you all (your family of five) found our rooms spacious and comfortable, our staff friendly and helpful and a good price/value relationship in all that this hotel offers.

With respect to your comment about coffee cups, please know that the brand standards at Embassy brand worldwide now require that we only place Eco-Sustainable disposable coffee cups in our suites instead of ceramic mugs. The brand made this decision based on intensive research, specific customer feedback and our desire to be environmentally friendly.

At our daily complimentary breakfast, we provide both ceramic cups as well as disposable cups for coffee. Our current disposable coffee cups at breakfast, however, are polystyrene but we may be replacing these with Eco-Sustainable cups in the near future.

We have also reviewed you comments about not having sliced fruit on the first morning of your stay. I understand that we only provided whole fruit (oranges and bananas) in a bowl instead. Our executive chef is researching this inconsistency and will correct it quickly.

Finally, I regret that there were long lines at our evening reception. As you can imagine, the complimentary, two-hour, nightly Manager's Reception is very popular and sometimes the lines can be long but we try to do our best to expedite them and minimize any inconveniences to our guests. In any event, we can understand your frustration you expressed and the inconvenience it may have caused you.

Thank you again for your feedback but, most importantly, for your visit to the hotel. We continually stress to our team that every guest has many choices when it comes to lodging and each team member plays a huge part in ensuring that the guest has a pleasant experience with us and will return.

Our fondest wishes to your entire family!

Syed E. Hasan

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown Lakefront? Share your experiences!