“Great Dinner, Superb Staff, OK Show” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tommy Gun's Garage

Tommy Gun's Garage
2114 S. Wabash, Chicago, IL 60616 (South Loop)
800-461-0178
Ranked #20 of 145 Theater & Concerts in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Carmel, Indiana
6 attraction reviews
“Great Dinner, Superb Staff, OK Show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

They take great care of you at Tommy Gun's. There was a gentleman in the parking lot directing us. They greet you in costume at the door. The manager comes around to your table regularly to ask how everything is going. The wait staff provides constant service all throughout the evening. The food was very good. Two of us had prime rib and the other two had salmon. The food was served quickly, served hot and was in ample quantity. The salad and soup were good and they bring you hot italian bread (we had bread brought three or four times). Dessert was a dish or sherbet served during intermission. They probably filled up our drink glasses 20 times.

While I enjoyed the "show" to some extent, I feel for the amount of money paid ($320 for a group of four, including drinks), the show could have been a lot better. There were a few musical numbers and a lot of jokes that to me were not particularly funny. There was a lot of banter among the cast, some of which almost seemed ad-libbed at times. There did not seem to be any kind of plot to the show; just a lot of "gangsters" and "flappers" moving around a lot, talking and singing. They pulled a lot of people out of the audience to participate and most of those people didn't seem to help the actors out much. It took one man several attempts to answer what he did for a liviing. I think the show could use a complete re-write of the script, and perhaps be made into more of a story with some character development and action.

I definitely had a good time at Tommy Gun's and appreciated the great food and service, but was a little disappointed with the show. I would recommend the place, especially for a group or family outing.

Visited April 2013

Dubuque, Iowa
“So different”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This experience was about 3 hours long. The dinner was at 6:30 and show at 7:15. We were done at 9:00 and were able to still go back to the hotel and swim. We took our HS students to this small dinner theater and were blown away with how much fun we had. The food was great, the service was not only good but entertaining and the show was so funny. The staff is so talented and friendly. They really consider their audience. There were people from all over the US and even a couple from England. If we hadn't had the kids with us, we may have stayed and chatted. I just can't say enough about this place...wonderful experience....can't wait to go back with my friends!

Visited April 2013
“LOVED this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Went here with my mother and husband and enjoyed every minute. All of the staff stay in character the whole time and are very good performers! Food was lovely and cocktails reasonably priced. My husband got dragged up on stage and it was hysterical! Def recommend this place as it was a great night out!

New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
“If you love the '20s....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

...then this place is for you! I do like this era so I was intrigued. It is easy to get to from downtown Chicago - two blocks east of a red line stop on the L.
When you make a reservation (you need one since they have all the seats and numbers planned out ahead of time) you are given a password, and as you make your way down the street where the restaurant is asked, one of the doormen will ask you if you know said password. You go in, get your table number, and then are escorted by waiters and waitresses who are in character - gangsters, flappers, etc - to your table. The room looks like a warehouse or garage -hence the name- and you feel as if you walked into the 1920s. You get a meal including soup or salad, a drink and dessert from either $60-70 depending on which night of the week you go. Additional food like appetizers or other desserts are not included and neither are wine and cocktails. After dinner you sit and watch the show: the waiters and waitresses begin singing and dancing and there is even an interactive bit with members of the audience who are chosen at random.
I thought the price of the meal was a bit expensive, but then again I did get a huge piece of prime rib and a show. Can't say I would go back the next time I am in Chicago, but I did have a fun night!
For those of you who are thinking "is it like Medieval times?" I can tell you it is NOT and they even joke about that in their show!

Visited March 2013
KY
“We love Tommy Gun's!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have been here multiple times and enjoyed each and every one of them! This is set up like a 20's speakeasy and staff is dressed as mobsters and flapper girls. Servers are in character when they take your order, and after providing great dinner service, they sing, dance, and entertain you. Their enthusiasm is infectious- you're bound to have a good time... or else. ;) The food is good, not the best in Chicago, but not bad. Priced very reasonably for dinner, show, gratuity, and some of the most charismatic people you will meet in Chi-Town.
If you can go around Valentines Day, they do a reenactment of the St. Valentines Day massacre. It is spectacular! (not for young children, though)

Visited February 2013

Been to Tommy Gun's Garage? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Tommy Gun's Garage, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.