“Chick Hotel in the Heart of Chicago” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #67 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Irvine,ca
“Chick Hotel in the Heart of Chicago”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We had an amazing time at this hotel. When you first walk in you're blown away by the trendy and sleek decor, it's kind of like walking into an upscale lounge. You can tell that 3/4s of the people in the lobby/lounge are not staying at the hotel but just having some drinks and enjoying the atmosphere. We were immediately asked if we would like to be upgraded to a larger room, which of course we obliged to. The room was nice and very crisp feeling. I took advantage of the fitness center every morning, which was clean and equipped with personal tvs, head phone, ipod docks and fruit. We also took advantage of the hotel's free Acura experience, which saved us a few taxi fares. Overall, this was a great experience and we would love to visit again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

I recently stayed at this hotel for a wedding that I was a part of. I was a bit nervous as I was traveling with my 13 month old twin daughters and I didn't think that this was the type of hotel that we should be staying at with them. Upon check in we were immediately greeted and cared for like we were their only guests. I cannot tell you how polite and helpful the staff was. Their motto of "whatever, whenever" is truly not lost on any of the team members. The hotel was very clean and cared for. I can't thank them enough for making my stressful trip into a leisure stay. Good work!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Maryville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

Let me set up the scene for this conference trip. 4 hotels, 4 nights. Everything that could cause hotels to be booked (U2 concert) was going on in Chicago...and several idiot wedding parties here at the hotel mid September. Our night at the W City Center was a Sunday. This area of town is DEAD after dark, and almost uncomfortably so when walking about. There was very little to do, so we went out on the town.

A little back story: I have stayed in countless W Hotels. I have gotten past the wannabees and glamouratti set, the sex dungeon and Abercrombie store decors, and I just like the general service level at the W. So continuing on, the hotel graciously upgraded us to a Spectacular SMOKING room 1904, which was nice. The room was big enough and had enough windows to be acceptable for smoking. I would not have paid the rack rate of $429 for this Ikea furnish spartan room, but it was great for free. The room was spacious and comfortable. The beds were standard W fare. The Whenever/Whatever accommodated some odd requests we had, although one of my friends was mildly offended that he kept being referred to as ma'am on the phone.

The lobby is a beautiful beaux arte building with the W style. The bar was small...I mean small. The champagne still tasted the same, but there wasn't even nightlife in the lobby...which is my usual quip with W, but this place was at 100% and still dead. Everyone leaves the hotel, as there isn't anything around...well at McDonalds and the ever present Charbucks on the street corner. My big complaint, lame as it is, HBO wouldn't come on, and we wanted to watch the season finale of True Blood.

We used the heck out of the Acura Experience! It is free up to 3 miles for hotel guests, I would recommend tipping the drivers. Arthur was super.

Likes: big room, SMOKING big room, better lobby coffee than Charbucks (if it is from there, don't tell me), Acura experience, and the staff.
Dislikes: I would have found things to complain about for rack price, location, location, and the out of place guests that should have been at the HoJo (not the hotel's fault), paying for INTERNET

phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

My wife and I,went here for a romantic get away...I choose this W for my wife and to my surprise...This was a very nice and updated hotel that we both feel in love with!

We ate dinner once and breakfast once and both times and the meals are awesome!

The rooms are small but very very nice. with upgraded t.v. bed and other things makes this hotel very nice. The gym is a "3" from 1 to 10

This hotel is close to the MONROE Train/subway station 2 blocks to be exact. So remember to take the "L" train from O'hare for 2.25$ per person get off on MONROE and walk 2 blocks and ur there:)

Over all we loved the location the people and the city........I hope you have a wonderful time as we did! Thanks

Fountain Hills, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

A bunch of wanna-be trendees in a plastic hotel that is impossible to cover up small rooms with incredibly small bathrooms with Ikea furniture and plastic over-priced everything else. We were part of a wedding party that had a large block of rooms - the comments above reflect not only the consensus of our group, but also that of another wedding party for the same night. The sentiment was universally held by 20-somethings to 60-somethings. The price of the rooms was exorbitant and the value was ridiculous. We stayed at the Knickerbocker earlier in the week on the North end of Michigan Av for half the price; double the room size; exemplary concierge service and great location. We've been in a dozen other Chicago hotels in the loop, michigan av, oakbrook, and lincoln park areas... all significantly better!

Alexandria, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

- Rooms are small
- Bedding not very clean (lots of hair and stains)
- Location is horrible if you like to explore (the area is dead at night)

The topper was that the hotel had no water at 7am on a Monday morning. The front desk said that a pipe burst and water was cut off to all rooms. Stuff happens, but I would have expected the hotel to care more.

Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

The good: location (for my meeting)

The bad: tiny room, no coffee maker (expect one in a $250 room!), had to travel 3 floors to find a working icemaker, took 10 minutes to check in, room offered a bottle of water for the low low price of $8! (COME on. They also offered an $8 bottle of wine for $58.)

The truly lousy: I awoke to no running water in the room! I called to the front desk and got only a "Yeah, they're working on it." No prognosis or ETA for repairs, seemed kind of surprised that I wasn't just accepting "they're working on it" as an answer. Kept pressing and finally got a "we can give you a pass for the fitness center a block away." KEPT pressing and finally got a "MAYBE we can give you a key to a vacant room that has water." You mean the hotel has water? Then why on earth didn't you offer this to start with?

Eventually I got a shower though had to go to another floor to do so. Was late to my meeting. And grumpy. And no one ever did say "sorry for the inconvenience."

Do yourself a favor and skip this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!