“W Hotel - Mingling with the hip crowd - Near the amtrak station” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #67 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Daphne, Alabama
“W Hotel - Mingling with the hip crowd - Near the amtrak station”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

I booked the W hotel City Center because the hotel was close to amtrak and had an aarp discount. My senior citizen husband and I had a comfortable quite room. Staying at the W is like staying in a piece of art. Design is everywhere (even in the business center). A stunning lobby and swank elevator.

When we arrived the lobby was full of 20/30ish stylishly dressed people enjoying drinks, food and conversation. Check in was quick and the staff was very helpful.

Location, location. This hotel is 4 blocks or so from the Chicago Union Station and about 3 blocks from the Art Institute of Chicago.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

If you stay here, ask for a room on the upper floors. Why? Because you can't hear the L as much, and because the rooms haven't been renovated yet. The renovated rooms look like a page out of an Ikea catalog. White, cheap furniture. I was reminded of the super-small rooms you get in European hotels where all the furniture is attached to the walls. Other than the noise and the decor, the rooms are fine. Love the Bliss toiletries, room service was prompt and accurate, wake-up calls came on time, and the facilities were clean. The A/C was broken in the workout room, but it was the first hot day of the year so they probably weren't prepared. Overall, my stay was average. If you plan to stay here, pack your earplugs and get a room on the 18th floor.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Marketing Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2009
We are truly sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations for the W brand. We ensure you that our furniture was created exclusively by the W Hotels Design team for the comfort of our guests. In implementing our recent 35 million dollar renovation our design team carefully thought of the guest experience – installing sound proof windows and creating more space by making it brighter and recessing furniture.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us - both positive and constructive.

Jessica Y.
Marketing Manager, W Hotels of Chicago
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

This is a typical W with over the top styling. The lobby is nice, and had a nice bar scene at night. Room service is a disaster, don't bother using it. Also, there is a tie-in with Acura where the hotel will drive you to a destination for free in an Acura MDX.

As for the rooms, I was traveling with a colleague and we both booked the same type of room. Apparently, I was given a newly renovated room that was just put back online that week, which was verified by the fresh paint smell in the room. The room was very clean, and was what you would expect at a W. It was nice, and there was plenty of workspace. Though, it was quite possibly the smallest bathroom I've ever seen. My colleague, however, compared his room to an old Holiday Inn room that had been redone in the W style.

Room service was a disaster. I ordered a bowl of cereal and banana for breakfast. Over an hour later, I was brought a meal that was completely wrong. After calling to get the correct meal, I was promised it would be brought up, but it never happened. Though, to their credit, I was not billed for the meal.

They gym is nice, with several elliptical machines, treadmills, and weight machines.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

I stayed at the W City Center 2 years ago, and loved it so much I chose it again for my 2nd stay in Chicago this April. I was not dissapointed - It is still as wonderful as it was my first stay!

The W City Center is a very trendy posh hotel. Go there expecting a happening nightlife scene in the lobby, and dark lit hallways. Not a child-friendly atmosphere. The lobby has a great bar/lounge that gets pretty packed after work and on the weekends. They offer free flavored water and fruits in various parts of the hotel (lobby, fitness center, business center, etc.)

The service is impeccable. Everybody is ready & willing to help with anything you want. They really live up to their "whatever/whenever" motto. The front desk is super friendly and accomadating and the consierge could not have been more helpful. He personally called us to give us reccomendations for dinner/nightlife based on the other places we had been & liked. Great service!

Another great perk is the free Acura service the hotel offers for destinations within a 5 mile radius. You just book a time in advance and have a brand new Acura take you to your destination (from 12PM-8PM i believe) and save money on cab fare! But if you do need to take a cab you will have no problem getting one right outside the hotel doors. And the hotel is also incredibly convenient to the El since it's in the loop. Easy walking distance to ALL train lines.

The rooms are spacious (at least the room with 2 double beds is, i remember staying the last time in a king size room and it being semi-small) and beautifully decorated. The beds and pillows are so comfortable. The bathrooms are nice and the Bliss Spa products are GREAT. I really have no complaints about the rooms at all.

All and all I'm glad I stayed here for the 2nd time and will likely stay here again the next time I visit Chicago. The hotel is beautiful, has great service and just a great overall vibe.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

Stayed here on election night in order to get to Grant Park easily and not have to fight the crowds going home. W's can be interesting and sometimes feel uncomfortable because they are so trendy. That was not the case here. The rooms were quite large and the bathrooms were top notch. Slate walls, great Bliss amenities as usual. Great location in central loop near all modes of public transit. Much better than the W Lakeshore a few blocks away.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

This was probably the nicest hotel I ever stayed in. I work for Starwood so maybe I am biased for Starwood properties and know the hotel industry so I don't complain at small little things like most hotel guests. The room was very nice and we weren't even on a renovated floor. Three people stayed in a room with 2 double beds and we had a great time. We heard the subway but in the distance, sounded like wind. It's not really the front desk agents problem so call the city with a noise complaint and there is free wireless in the lobby so you can skip the fee.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

I booked a "last minute package" through a travel site and stayed at the W City Center for 3 nights in May 2008. From the moment I walked in, I fell in love with this hotel and from the moment I left I knew I'd always look for a W hotel for future hotel stays. They have a "whatever, whenever" philosophy that is truly that. When checking in, I was given a free upgrade on my room without asking. The rooms were nicely decorated, and beds super comfortable. Bath products were from Bliss Spas. The hotel is nicely situated...walking distance to Milenium park, and the car service could take you to Mag Mile or Hancock Building. They have a free Acura car service that will drive you around town, and a concierge who is very knowledgeable. I asked which CD was playing in their car service, and not only did they tell me, but I received 2 free CDs (compilations by the W hotel). On my last day there I had lunch at the "living room" bar and asked the bartender if she knew where to find Voss water (outside of my room since it was $8 there)...she gave me a bottle for free. Every encounter I had with a staff member at this hotel was above and beyond and this stay made me fall in love with the W brand. Every time I travel, I look first to see if there is a W to stay at.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!