“Lipstick on a pig” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #72 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Detroit
“Lipstick on a pig”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

The room was so small that we were tripping over everything, fortunately, there wasn't enough room to fall down. It took me a while just to find a place to drop my bags. The bathroom was so small that I had to sit sideways, with the sink poking into my shoulder. Room 717 is directly in front of the elevators and you get a lovely "ding ding ding" every 3 to 4 minutes. The plumbing bumps and shreeks like a monster from a Godzilla film every time someone in the building uses any water. You can get free WI-FI on a bus or a train but the W charges you $14 per day(Probably standard, but insulting while paying top dollar to stay on a broom closet.). The view from our room was non-existent. The food was good and the beds were great, but this building was simply not designed to be a luxury hotel.

In conclusion: the rooms are small and I like to complain.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
New York, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

The only reason to stay here is if you are on business, because the price is not worth it if it's coming out of your own pocket. The window to half the rooms overlooks an interior courtyard where it looks like they keep their garbage. Feels like an old run-down tenemant building. And it's near the el, so you need to be a heavy sleeper, or have strong sleeping pills to ignore the noisy train right outside your window. They nickel and dime business travelers for everything, charging $20 to accept a fedex and $4 for sending an email using their scanner downstairs. The place is understaffed as well. Being on hold for a few minutes when ordering room service, and what especially annoyed me was waiting on the phone for several minutes simply to ask them to bring my package up to me. Very annoying when I am getting billed $20 simply for them to receive the fedex for me. The few good things about this place are that the downstairs whiskey blue is very chic and trendy. The food is decent, although does not meet expectations for a supposedly 4 star place. Although understaffed, the staff tried hard and is very friendly when you finally can get a hold of someone. It seemed all the staff were always smiling, friendly, genuinely apologizing for the poor service, and harried from running to put out one fire to the next. Bizarrely, they always call your room several minutes after room service/package asking if everything is okay. It annoyed me that they kept interrupting on their own time to ask if they can do anything else instaed of just giving me the service I wanted when I wanted it. Also, the reason this place is so busy is that there is a dearth of business hotels in the west loop/union station area. If there were another business hotel in this area, I'm sure the W City Center would go belly up.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service, rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

I have stayed at many of the W hotels around the country, NYC, Atlanta, LA, Chicago Lakeshore, etc. and the experience is often touch and go for me (some things are great, others not good). One small part of staying at any of these hotels, is the fact that you really need to be in the mood for all of the music, dimmed lights, clever sayings written on each surface you encounter. I don't knock that, they really do try to provide a different experience, and it is good at night when you want to feel like something is going on. But, I have to wonder why I just paid $299 for a dark room the size of my home bathroom with a tiny prisoners window. At this property, I feel that the hoteliers put all of their money into a design sense and none of it into the basic comforts expected from an expensive hotel room. Let's first talk about the positive: the staff in the bar was top notch, the check in was straightforward, and the hotel has a thriving, vibrant feel when you enter and wind your way to the reception desk. But, I spend most of my time at a hotel in the room, preparing to sleep, sleeping, or finishing up some presentation, document or emails at the desk before heading out to conduct the business for which I came to a given city. In this respect the rooms at W themselves have sometimes left me feeling a little disapointed and even worse, uneasy. This uneasy feeling was the case for my most recent stay at the W City Center, which was heightened by a really dark room. (Window small 3X3 and hidden behind a large black TV armoir). Dark obvious stains on the douvet and sheets added a grimy, dungeon like feeling that was enhanced by the dark surfaces and indirect flourescent lighting. The effect is a let down, but also a strong desire for fresh air and a mild concern about the actual cleanliness of the room. It made me wonder why I was in this hotel when there are so many better lit spaces available for less money in downtown Chicago. It is always too late for me to change rooms or hotels after I arrive because time is limited, so I thought I would share this and perhaps spare other business travelers the let down.

• Liked — The vibe
  • Disliked — Tiny, dingy room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ILLINOIS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

I had the pleasure of booking 2 rooms at the W Hotel at City Center in Chicago the weekend of 9/19/08. My mother,sister, who flew in from Phoenix, AZ , and I went to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday and to see Jersey Boys, which was fantastic! I was a little concerned about the rooms after reading some of the reviews, since my mother is 70, I thought the hotel maybe a little too eclectic for her, but I must say we were VERY pleasantly suprised!! The staff was ABSOULTELY WONDERFUL!!
I really want to give kudos to ALBERT JONES, the front desk supervisor and SELAWE TAU, the welcome desk manager, they went above and beyond to see that our stay was TRULY WONDERFUL!!! :)
The only complaint I have about the hotel is that it is a little dark for our taste, but I would definetly stay there again!!

• Liked — The staff, decor, restaurant,food, the and rooms
  • Disliked — The dark atmoshpere
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Walnut Creek, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

Honestly, couldn't have been better. We flew in on a red-eye and were just looking to drop off our bags until check-in. The saintly receptionist advised us they had a room ready (almost 5 hours before check-in!). On top of this they gave us a free upgrade to a much larger room away from the EL Train, and threw in a certificate for 2 free drinks at the bar for each night we stayed... After checking to see if I was holding a gun in my hand we headed up to our 20th floor room for a much needed rest.
Although the hotel isn't perfectly located (about 5-8 blocks away from shopping, theatres, museums, etc.), they offered complementary rides in Acura MDX's (one way- from the hotel) to anywhere in the city. Not bad for $125.00 a night on Hotwire.com, eh... The hotel can seem a little pretentious, but everyone from the staff was exceptionally nice and courteous. Big thumbs up!

• Liked — Great value, service, and atmosphere.
  • Disliked — Somewhat of a trendy Vegas superficiality to it.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

Stayed at the W for business the week of September 6. Loud interior and exterior noise in the two rooms I stayed in-- due to the train and the old building's venilation. Called front desk at 10pm to find out when jack hammer noises would stop. Call never returned. Called back 30 min later and asked to speak with manager. Room was upgraded the next morning to a two bed room the next day. Second room was noisy as well. Would not stay here again... Too trendy and expensive for my taste.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — Small rooms, noise, need room key to use elevator
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Az
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

I got this room at the last minute on a holiday weekend. The room was very small and cramped and way too dark. The hallway smelled of liquor. I arrived a 12:30 AM and the music was so loud from the club I could not hear the desk clerk. The staff was very nice but the atmosphere was too "trendy" for this traditional traveler. Only place to plug in lap top was in the bathroom, had to sit in the hall on the floor.

• Liked — The staff was very friendly
  • Disliked — The room was so small!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!