“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #73 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We booked two suites in this W hotel. One is on 9 floor and the other one is 11. The higher the better. The hotel is very close to a train rail. So you can hear it every 5 mins. Even until mid night. But if you carefully select the room not facing the street, it will be much much better. If you choose the one close to the rail, you probably want to get a earplug with you.

Other than that, I am very happy with this hotel. Trendy design and excellent location. Service was pretty good too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you for the candid review! We are so happy you had the opportunity to experience the W Chicago City Center. It's wonderful to hear the location, design and service were a hit for you. We know the city can be vibrant with its sounds and should you visit us again please let me know in advance and we will be sure you are in a comfortable and quiet room!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This December, my cousin threw his gala wedding at The W City Center in the middle of a Chicago winter. Being from Southern California and having not even the slightest penchant to even be remotely exposed to the elements, I called ahead to the front desk to enquire if it would be humanly possible to spend the entire long weekend inside the hotel and never have to leave; not once. They assured me all would be well at The W Hotel and nothing could have been more true.

Landing late after a twice delayed plane on a Friday night after a long week at the office, I was exhausted. However, stepping into The W was immediately revitalizing. It was more like stepping into a cocktail lounge than the stiff and staid establishment type hotel that I had been expecting, even fearing. The crew behind the Welcome Desk from the first night to the last afternoon of my stay were all incredibly professional, polite, and resourceful. From Zila, to Zach, to Christine, and George the Concierge, were all true operators of the hospitality game.

The mixologists behind the bar were not to be out-competed. They surprisingly carried the one and only branded spirit that I imbibe and we were off to the races. Rian and Hakim delivered and even Desi, the banquet bartender for the wedding, had a special bottle put aside for me. All was well at The W City Center.

Jet-lagged and want to order some entrees or amenities in the middle of the night? Not a problem, Gregorio and Efren have you covered. And they’ll be by fast so be ready. Efren was even nice enough to gift me his W pin which I wore on my lapel for the remainder of the weekend. Guests of the wedding, even my family, thought that I had taken a job at The W. Based upon the quality of it’s staff, it must be a great place to work.

Having been an Events Producer in a former life, I know what it takes to produce a wedding of the size and scale of my cousin’s and last but certainly by no means least, I want to mention Jill, the B & F Manager. Enough will be conveyed by this single word: Rockstar.

So there you have it, my wonderful wintery stay at The W City Center. Don’t miss this place.

Cheers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
How touching to see your review! What a passionate and energetic synopsis of your time with us. We are so happy you were charmed not just by the arctic climate of Chicago - but of the service our team provided. You capture their personalities and eagerness to deliver Whatever/Whenever service in such a wonderful fashion! We will share your accolades and praises with them as well as the entire hotel. We are so grateful you recognize their efforts and were inspired by them enough to share it in this review.

We hope you enjoyed celebrating your cousins love - what a special treat it was to have you with us! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Burr Ridge, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at Ohio and Lasalle location we had three rooms for a night prior to Christmas. The excellent customer service of hotel and IPO restaurant staff makes us feel like coming again. Pet friendly hotel made our puppy at home.The food at restaurant was very good.

Room Tip: upgrade rooms are great.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
How wonderful to hear that both you and your pup felt so special during your stay with us! We are so happy you appreciate the innovative cuisine at IPO - and will be sure to share your praises with Executive Chef Trevor Hoyte and his team! Thank you for recognizing their tasty efforts and we look forward to welcoming you and your furry friend back soon!

Till then!
Casper, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed in the beginning of the year. This place is impressive! Locations is in the heart of downtown Chicago. Lot's of great restaurants, close to sites to see, etc. The Willis Tower isn't even that far of a walk.

From the service when you walk in to when you leave is attentive and friendly. The lobby has a chill and relaxed but cool vibe. Very chic and modern yet hip. They even change the elevator mats from "Good Morning, Good Afternoon, and Good Evening." Pretty high class if you ask me!

We also got two free drink coupons, and the lounge was perfect for a drink at your hotel. Made us not feel the need to go out, seeing as it was so relaxed yet excellent atmosphere.

The room was amazing. We loved it! All nothing less of what you expect from a W hotel. We would recommend it, especially if you are looking for a five star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so flattered by your kind words! What a thoughtful and genuine review; we appreciate your articulate observations and are so happy you enjoyed everything from the location to the atmosphere to our friendly lifts/elevators! Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for our brand, it is passionate guests such as yourself that make the W so special and unique. Let us know if you pass through Chicago again as we would love to make sure your stay is yet again stellar!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

I arrived early around 11 ish to check in. I work in a hotel so knowing that there are much lesser avail rooms for the agents to work their magic on getting a nice standard room for me at that time, I decided to just finish up the paperwork, store my bags and come back later for the room since I have plenty of time. But when I was just starting to talk she cut me off saying that they were sold out last night. Hey, I didn't finish and that wasn't my question?

I realized that she is already making the key so I started explaining but she was just going on and on that there are no rooms available (Yet she has mine, AND I told her a zillion times that I can wait AND she was nervous with a "you cannot have any other rooms but this" look all over her face). Duh, I was worried about what room I'll be getting but never mind I'll give it a try, maybe it isn't that bad? Nope.

The room was so small I couldn't believe it. Window looking right at the rusty fire escape,corner room. It was a queen bed, being really honest it was what I booked for so i decided to ask if I could switch to another bed type otherwise pay for a difference and get a better room. Nope, this lady who picked up the phone, I believe her name is Fathima, was impolite and wasn't listening to me either, like big time. She told me that there will be a fee for a King bed, weird but I still took it. I know that I will have to vacate this room for other guests so I told her that I'll store my bags now and come back later, twice. Yet she just HAD to tell me that I really need to do that because it is "more work for them", she literally said that. I basically had to calm her down and repeated myself again. You should've kept that last sentence to your own department girl.

Anyway, I got a nice room in the end, and I still called up Fathima to thank her for that. I really,just,wanted a nice stay,and someone who has the best knowledge about the hotel to help me achieve that, which is the front office. Unfortunately it didn't happen, because no one had the time to JUST LISTEN.

Sigh, I know complainers always start with "I'm not usually a complainer" but I really REALLY Im not and totally wasn't expecting this at all from the W. I'm a front office manager in a 726 rooms Starwood property in Manhattan. We are supposed to take care of each other :( hope this review helps by any tiny chances in improving the core department, the first and last impression of a hotel.

**Little shout out to the room service delivery guy I think he's name is Jose? And the lady who works at the concierge, and the tall smiley bellman (: they were the only people who made me smile during my stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm sure you can understand being in the hospitality industry - let alone for a fellow Starwood property - how vital these reviews are to our service culture. We take them very seriously, as I would hope your property does, too.

Know we will be addressing the points you mention in your review so that all of our guests may have a remarkable experience in the future. I apologize your experience did not live up to your expectations, and please let me know if we can make it right on your future visits to Chicago.

We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with your family, as well as the rest of the online community.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Really good plac ein great location nto a reall high end 5 star in my opinion.

But fair price if you book in advance and hip cool style

great night lounge and lobby with cool hip vibe and musac

woudl go again but depends on your guests. good for younger couples not ederly

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share! We are energized to hear that the atmosphere and vibe proved to be a great fit for you...and yes it is quite unique!

We hope to see you soon!

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

As a preface, I'm SPG Platinum. We've stayed at a ton of W's and other SPG properties over the years so we have a lot to compare this to. We checked into the hotel for a week for a work conference. We were "upgraded" to an accessible room which was fine although the water from the accessible shower got every where. The room did not appear to really be an upgrade as there was no couch or sitting area. The room was standard enough-- nothing special and the train was audible from the room even on the uppermost floor. The room was lacking several amenities such as soap and the face wash that comes from an "upgraded" room. We used the SPG app to "ask" for soap, face wash and a razor (which we had forgotten to pack) and and extra blanket as it was quite cold. The items never came. we contacted the concierge and there was no response. The next day I "tweeted" about how odd it was and included the SPG hashtag. Within 10 minutes a bellhop came to the door and gruffly offered towels and said he'd heard we wanted them. When corrected and said we asked for soap and a blanket he left and came back with the soap and a razor but still no blanket or face wash. We selected the free continental breakfast as our free platinum amenity. It was an unlimited selection of items from a "special" menu in the restaurant. All grains, sugars, etc. nothing hot. The first morning it took quite a while, but was fine. The second morning it took an exceedingly long time. When the food finally did come the server apologized and said they were out of what I ordered and offered something else. I said fine, but 10 minutes later it still hadn't' arrived. Meanwhile my husband had already finished. At that point it was too late as I had to be at work so we just left. Not at all what I'd expect. After we checked out we were billed for a bunch of items from the mini-bar that we didn't even touch. An email to SPG and they were promptly removed. On balance, I would not stay at this hotel again and wouldn't probably recommend it. It doesn't seem to live up to the other W's I've stayed at.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback.

We respect the loyalty you have demonstrated to Starwood Hotels over the years - as a Platinum member we know you have many options when traveling, and we are so grateful you would chose W Chicago City Center because of the service you have encountered across the globe as an SPG member.

We apologize your upgrade did not meet your expectations and are following up on the service encounters you mention. We are so disappointed that the Whatever/Whenever service we pride ourselves on was not demonstrated fully for you. We would love to have the chance to welcome you back and make it right. If we have the luxury of welcoming you back, please reach out to us directly prior to your next visit so we may prove to you that we are indeed committed to seeing you are treated in the true Platinum fashion!

Marketing Manager

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!