“Very average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

Save Saved
You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #61 of 167 hotels in Chicago
“Very average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at the W in Chicago for two nights. The location was nice. The rooms were very small. The bathroom was tiny. I felt the room was not worth the price. The location and cleanliness was by far the best part of the hotel. Very average hotel in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2013
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback - we are delighted to hear you found the location favorable and the room sparkling! We take cleanliness of the rooms very seriously, so it is wonderful to hear your approving thoughts.

We understand you want to feel comfortable in your room, and apologize the room size did not meet your expectations. We hope you give us another shot, and if so, before you book your next stay we invite you to visit the special offers page on our website. Here you can find packages packed with value - and upgrades!

If you do find yourself back at W Chicago City Center or in the Windy City, please reach out to us in advance so we may prove to you our commitment to Whatever/Whenever service!

Jessica Y.
Marketing Manager

1,489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at the W for a friends wedding last month. Laurelin Hefter the concierge was fantastic - she booked us various dinner spots and went above and beyond with various things. We hung out in the bar downstairs the night we arrived with other people from the wedding and really enjoyed the atmosphere and the drinks. We will definitely stay at the W when we return to Chicago!

Room Tip: Ask for an end room, it's quieter as less trafficked
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Sounds like you had a great time! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and recognize Laurelin!

Looking forward to your next stay!

Alejandra R
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I are SPG platinum members and stay at SPG hotels all over, including several other W hotels. This stay did not disappoint. We were here for a bachelor/bachelorette weekend and they were very accommodating. The room was clean and bed was comfortable (one of the reasons we are SPG members). The hotel was conveniently located to everything. We literally stepped out of the hotel and walked everywhere!

The only negative comment is that there are no coffee makers in the room. We had to call down to get one. And since most people don't have a coffee maker, housekeeping kept forgetting to refill our sugars and cream.

Other than that, another positive SPG experience!!

• Stayed May 2013
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for your loyalty as Platinum members! I am glad to hear you had such a great experience! I will make sure to follow up with my team regarding the coffee refreshment, know that we can add this to your profile so that whenever you stay at W Hotels there is a coffee maker waiting for you upon arrival. Just contact me direct and I can ensure this is done!

Alejandra R
St.Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Three couples visited Chicago for Mothers Day weekend and I choose this W Hotel due to previous positive experiences. All had a positive experience this time--the rooms were great, the staff is great and the W Hotels continue to have the greatest conceirge staff in the world. We worked with TK Karadzovski for our reservations and suggestions--she did a masterful job in helping us lay out our two days. We used the Acura Experience to go to dinner, first time for me to use this service, and it worked very smoothly. Saved us two cab expenses.
I would suggest getting a higher floor room so your view is over the air conditioning units that I looked out on, other than that, this is a great hotel choice for downtown Chicago.
I have returned, I will return.

Room Tip: High floor for a clean view out.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
WCityCenter, Director of Operations at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your loyalty Bill and for your kind words! I will make sure to recognize TK and our concierge team.

I am happy to know that we will be welcoming you back (hopefully soon!)

Alejandra Romero
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I'm from a southern hospitality driven city and it was my first time in Chicago. The service at this hotel no doubt WOWed me. The location was convenient - shopping, Millennium park, and attractions only a few blocks away or a 10 minute cab. Stephen, Erwin, and Front Desk director Ben were pleasant upon check-in. My flight was early and they checked me at noon with no issue. Mind you I paid originally for a regular room (285sqft) but I am used to larger rooms so the $75 upgrade a night to a fantastic room was no problem, SO much space for us and very clean! The bathroom was spacious, the bed large and comfy, and the desk and lounger allowed us to have our own space after our days out. The room is filled with small "quirks" and very modern graphic incorporation, as to be expected by a W. The first night after a long plane ride we had dinner at IPO, the in house restaurant. For a Friday night it wasn't too busy, but there is a prominent bar scene throughout the lobby. As younger travelers, this was not a big deal. The meal was great and Gregory tended to our needs. The lights throughout the entrance are lowlit, busy, and chic with a Victorian feel. I don't recommend this hotel if you're not fond of that type of scene. Some reviews had complaints about train noises, but you're in Chicago so that's to be expected. I myself had no noise complaints. The first day I asked for extra toiletries as I have very full hair, every housekeeping turnover they added double the toiletries, talk about consistent service and accommodation! We ordered 24 hr room service one day for breakfast and a late snack, and Braulio (sp?) was so pleasant. They ran out of french fries in one of our orders so they gave us complimentary chips! I never used the concierge but Tom at the Front Desk recommended a great sushi restaurant as a surprise for my friend's birthday and it couldn't have been more fitting. I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit to Chicago because of the W City Center and can't wait to come back! Thank you for making the city feel like home.

• Stayed May 2013
Sounds like you had a great time with us! So happy to hear that you felt at home in Chicago and that our talent members were friendly and accoommodating. I will make sure to recognize Erwin, Steven, Ben, Braulio, Greg and Tom for their efforts.

See you next time!

Alejandra R.
Keller, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have always thought that W Hotels try a little too hard to be hip. The moment you enter, you’re bathed in signature W ambience; music and lighting reminiscent of a nightclub, unique furnishings in conversational groupings, and my personal favorite touch at Chicago City Center, candles. Lots of candles tucked around the lobby. I appreciate the attempt to not seem like a hotel lobby, typified by the renaming of the lobby as the Living Room. What I find is that the hip nightclub atmosphere is often too dark and too loud, though it’s not as bad here as other Ws I’ve been in.

The hotel entry is flanked by the bar and restaurant, IPO. A second lobby bar serves the Living Room area. Further back, you’ll find reception and concierge. The staff here is great and very helpful, which always sets the tone for a good stay. Even in April, Chicago can be a bit chilly so the welcoming pot of hot chocolate was appreciated. Next to reception is the Acura Experience, one of SPGs strategic partnerships to enhance your stay. Calling it the Acura Experience, however, is a bit misleading – it’s similar to a reception desk where you can reserve the hotel’s Acura for a ride about town. However, it is quite limited, being just one vehicle available only by reservation and only during the afternoon and early evening (1pm to 8pm) in a small radius. Unfortunately, the car was never available when we needed it and the agent staffing the “desk” was fairly rude.

As in most Ws, the rooms are an experience. This was a last-minute booking so I took what I could get: A Spectacular room on a higher floor with a good view of the city. Not large, but very comfortable. I am always tempted to say that most W rooms look like they raided Ikea. The room is fairly minimal and functional, which I appreciate. As always, the bed was very comfortable and the Bliss bath amenities are just about my favorite of all the major chains. If you’re a coffee lover like me, don’t freak out when you notice there is no coffee maker in your room! Just call the front desk and ask for one; it will be delivered promptly. Be sure to ask for tea if you prefer.

Only two complaints, really. Across the board, this location seems to need more staff. I never saw more than two desk agents at reception and there was almost always a line of people. We waited several minutes (15+) for a dinner seating at the restaurant and finally had to go find someone to go find the hostess. Once seated, we realized there was only one waiter. Even though the restaurant was small, one waiter is not sufficient for seven or eight tables. This was true for both dinner and breakfast visits. Complaint #2 also pertains to the restaurant. Particularly at dinner, the menu is quite small and, while prices are comparable to Chicago area restaurants, portions are considerably smaller. I also cannot understand how a latte and a cup of tea both cost $5.

For the most part, this stay lived up to W standards. Though nothing really stood out, almost everything was great - as expected at SPG's upper end properties. Our Bed & Breakfast rate was good, particularly for hotels of this caliber in the Chicago area. The location is good, unless you want to be right on the river, lake or Michigan Avenue. There are several CTA (rail) stops within a few blocks, and many city area attractions are within just a few miles; easy to walk, inexpensive to taxi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed feedback! I was glad to hear you enjoyed your overall experience and I appreciate the additional comments from your stay as they wil allow us to improve.

Hopefully we will welcome you back soon!
Doha, Qa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

First I must say the staff were always nice and friendly. However, as SPG members, this was not my first W stay, I had some expectations; which were not met. Rooms were old, and I do not think they were renovated recently. Beds' mattress are really soft, so you would expect backaches after your stay. I ordered room services, it was terrible. Burger was over cooked without any flavor of deliciousness

• Stayed May 2013
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
First, may we thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and our Starwood Preferred Guest Program.

While we completed a full $40 million dollar renovation in late 2010, we will be sure to share your design feedback with our team.

We are delighted to hear that the Whatever/Whenever service held true to your expectations! We certainly pride ourselves on the personalized connections our Talent make with our guests.

Thank you for your feedback!
Jessica Y.
Marketing Manager

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!