“Make sure you get an inside room if you want to sleep!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

Save Saved
You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #62 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Madison
“Make sure you get an inside room if you want to sleep!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Wow, nice property. But MAJOR issue with the train that goes by every 5-10 minutes! 1st night there, I checked in late. Heard the train right away, and called to desk asking how late it runs. Gal told me it would stop in the next couple of hours. Never stopped! 1am, I think I fell asleep. 5:30am woke me up. I was very unhappy that this desk person told me it will stop. Next day asked the desk to move me, they said oh yes, that train runs all night long, I don't blame you. Was moved to the courtyard facing room and slept well.

Not real sure about W hotels. The decor is almost too swanky.

Very clean, service (other than front desk) good. Food good, housekeeping very good. People are very nice, and attentive.

Location for my business was excellent.

Internet is terrible. I think I have some picture to demonstrate. I will post them.

Valet good, but expensive.

Room Tip: Away from train!

1,511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I arrived to the hotel very early in the morning, the staff did their best to accomodate me with an early arrival and got me a room within a reasonable time. TK, the W Chicago conceriege was very helpful in answering all my questions about the hotel and the surrounding area. We will definately stay at this hotel again for our next trip to Chicago!

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed here for three nights during the 2012 Lollapolloza music festival and it was a good choice for that weekend. We walked to and from the venue each day which was only about a mile away. We had to change rooms our first day because our neighbors were extremely loud. Our second room was better as it was on the end of a corridor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

When we arrived at the W, we were thrilled with our choice-- the decor is trendy and modern, the staff very polite. The rooms were a bit small, but the bed was very comfy. Everything was great until the last night, while we were asleep our room was broken into and money was stolen from our wallets. When we realized this the next morning, we immediately contacted the front desk and the police. The first step was to run a security scan on our door lock. This would be great if it worked correctly, after 3 tries it finally scanned, yet the dates were from December of 2011 through May 2013, just doesn't seem legitimate (we stayed September 2012.) While all of this is happening, maybe a 3 hour process, there was no apology, no "Hey, let us buy you lunch while our security takes care of this." Also during the process, we also had to pay an extra $100 for parking another day. I actually don't think an apology was ever offered initially, which is absurd in the "hospitality" industry. After reviewing the security report, the door was secure all night except for a 30 minute time period between 5 AM and 5:30 AM, which just states "Door Ajar" it doesn't say what card was used. Being a younger couple (23 & 27), we were not taken seriously at all, they kept inferring "Are you sure you didn't open the door?"

Really?

I think what upsets me the most is my safety, I keep thinking what if I woke up when an intruder was in our room?

Once we finally arrived home, we dug deeper and got to speak to the manager of the hotel and then Westin representatives. The W staff was rude and condescending, but the Westin rep was very courteous thankfully. Obviously we don't expect to be reimbursed cash, but never were we offered a complimentary stay or even a meal.

This is definitely a unique situation, but I don't recommend the W in Chicago whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My stay at the W Chicago City Center was one of the most enjoyable travel experiences I have ever had. The hotel staff was excellent, but I would be remiss if I didn't single out the hotel concierge, TK. She was absolutely amazing and went far above and beyond the call of duty. I simply asked her for a few suggestions for a tour guide and car service, and instead she mapped out an epic experience that my girlfriend and I would never forget.

Thanks again to TK and The W Chicago City Center!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Director of Welcome Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Your Awesome! I am pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us recently and that our Concierge was able to make your experience memorable. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Travel safe and travel often,

Brian Herro
Director Welcome Office
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The highlight of my stay at the W Chicago was the expert concierge assistance provided by TK, who provided numerous restaurant recommendations, helped me make the perfect choice, and reserved a table for me at Blackbird. If you need to find a place to eat in the Windy City, TK is your go-to source.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

In Chicago for business... full disclosure I'm at the highest end of SPG Platinum status... was greeted with an outstanding room and welcome amenity. Personal note from the manager and over the top service. Food at the bar and restaurant are great and the atmosphere is fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Director of Welcome Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are very pleased to hear that you had such a great stay at the W Chicago City Center. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our vibrant "Living Room" as well as our restaurant IPO. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Travel safe and travel often,

Brian Herro
Director of Welcome Office

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!