“Good location for lolla festival” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #71 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles
“Good location for lolla festival”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed here for three nights during the 2012 Lollapolloza music festival and it was a good choice for that weekend. We walked to and from the venue each day which was only about a mile away. We had to change rooms our first day because our neighbors were extremely loud. Our second room was better as it was on the end of a corridor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

When we arrived at the W, we were thrilled with our choice-- the decor is trendy and modern, the staff very polite. The rooms were a bit small, but the bed was very comfy. Everything was great until the last night, while we were asleep our room was broken into and money was stolen from our wallets. When we realized this the next morning, we immediately contacted the front desk and the police. The first step was to run a security scan on our door lock. This would be great if it worked correctly, after 3 tries it finally scanned, yet the dates were from December of 2011 through May 2013, just doesn't seem legitimate (we stayed September 2012.) While all of this is happening, maybe a 3 hour process, there was no apology, no "Hey, let us buy you lunch while our security takes care of this." Also during the process, we also had to pay an extra $100 for parking another day. I actually don't think an apology was ever offered initially, which is absurd in the "hospitality" industry. After reviewing the security report, the door was secure all night except for a 30 minute time period between 5 AM and 5:30 AM, which just states "Door Ajar" it doesn't say what card was used. Being a younger couple (23 & 27), we were not taken seriously at all, they kept inferring "Are you sure you didn't open the door?"

Really?

I think what upsets me the most is my safety, I keep thinking what if I woke up when an intruder was in our room?

Once we finally arrived home, we dug deeper and got to speak to the manager of the hotel and then Westin representatives. The W staff was rude and condescending, but the Westin rep was very courteous thankfully. Obviously we don't expect to be reimbursed cash, but never were we offered a complimentary stay or even a meal.

This is definitely a unique situation, but I don't recommend the W in Chicago whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My stay at the W Chicago City Center was one of the most enjoyable travel experiences I have ever had. The hotel staff was excellent, but I would be remiss if I didn't single out the hotel concierge, TK. She was absolutely amazing and went far above and beyond the call of duty. I simply asked her for a few suggestions for a tour guide and car service, and instead she mapped out an epic experience that my girlfriend and I would never forget.

Thanks again to TK and The W Chicago City Center!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Director of Welcome Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Your Awesome! I am pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us recently and that our Concierge was able to make your experience memorable. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Travel safe and travel often,

Brian Herro
Director Welcome Office
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The highlight of my stay at the W Chicago was the expert concierge assistance provided by TK, who provided numerous restaurant recommendations, helped me make the perfect choice, and reserved a table for me at Blackbird. If you need to find a place to eat in the Windy City, TK is your go-to source.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

In Chicago for business... full disclosure I'm at the highest end of SPG Platinum status... was greeted with an outstanding room and welcome amenity. Personal note from the manager and over the top service. Food at the bar and restaurant are great and the atmosphere is fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Director of Welcome Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are very pleased to hear that you had such a great stay at the W Chicago City Center. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our vibrant "Living Room" as well as our restaurant IPO. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Travel safe and travel often,

Brian Herro
Director of Welcome Office
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We arrived on Tuesday,Dec 11,2012. We stayed on points,so basically it was free for us. Because it costs $55.00 a day to park a car in the hotel,we chose not to get a car. We decided that between the cost of the car,along with the parking fee,we'd just use walk,use public transportation or taxis. The Wis located in a great location- with many attractions around the area. I should mention,we had beautiful weather for Chicago. No snow,but chilly. We went primarily for the Christmas Market,they have every year in Daley Square. The hotel was very friendly, and it appeared to be a spot to go and have a great happy hour. Since we were on the go a great deal,we didn't get to enjoy the happy hour. Our room was spacious,and clean,but there was not a coffee maker in the room,which was a big disappointment for us. It might have been possible to get one,but we didn't
ask. Our view was the train, that is part of the public transportation system and other hotels. We later found out that that same train goes and comes from the Midway, Chicago airport and is only a block away. For those who want to save on taxi fare,it's a good alternative.
In the evenings,the hotel had little fudge like snacks w hot chocolate in the lobby. Also there was a bowl of apples too. Since we own and are familiar with the Westin timeshares and hotels, we were disappointed w the mattresses. They were NOT the same comfortable mattresses that the Westin is known for in the Starwood group. It was lumpy and it needed to be replaced. I should mention,that this hotel was taken over by Starwood and redone into a W Hotel. The floor in thr room was quite uneven,with lots of lumps and bumps. Maybe an extra padding under the carpet would of helped. It was the first W Hotel,we have stayed in,and I was glad we stayed on points,and not had paid for the room,because I was a little disappointed in it. Don't get me wrong,I'm sure for downtown Chicago,in a good location, people are happy to pay for the hotel. Maybe because we have stayed in much better Starwood Hotels(Weston's,Sheratons) and had relatives stay in another W Hotel ,that raved about it,I was just a little disappointed that the quality of the room,and view in my opinion did not live up to past "Starwood " experiences. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We didn't eat at the restaurant there,because we wanted to experience the Chicago food,that we heard so much about-like their hot dogs,and deep dish pizza. We only had two full days in Chicago and it was our first visit,so we wanted to cram in as much as possible. I would recommend this hotel,due to its location,but I would ask for a room with a better mattress. And if you are like us and like coffee or tea in the morning, check and see if a coffee pot is available. There is a Dunkin Donuts and a McDonalds very close to the hotel,both have a full breakfast menu. We also enjoyed Chicago's deep dish pizza at Giordano's,which is walking distance too. A final note about the weather. The cabbies were complaining that due to the weather,everyone was walking and not using them. I would guess that had it been worse weather,we would have used more cabs and our transportation costs would have been a lot more. I would go back to Chicago in a heartbeat,as it was a city with sites and things to do we had not experienced in our past travels.

Room Tip: Hopefully, our mattress in our room wasn't was in every room. Maybe ask if the mattresses have b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

my first experience staying here at the W chicago city center was while staying for work . i enjoyed my stay so much i even extended it a few days to spend time with my girlfriend . Laurelin who works at the W went above and beyond to make sure i was comfortable & my guest visiting here as well , even at 5 am when i had artist in my room visiting after a performance we decided to called the front desk asksing for items that were hard to find in the city at 5am and thought it would be funny to see if they really ment what they say when they say... at the W hotel will get you "whatever whenever" ha ha even at 5am when we asked for glow sticks , Playdough ,Silly String & Muscle Milk they went and retrieved the items and made our stay a lot of fun ..the staff was incredibly hospitable and i never heard the word "No" ever ! ..so i will always stay here when i am in town . the staff is incredible & they even have the acura experience which drives you with in 5miles of the hotel and drops you off wherever saving you $$$ on cabs :)

• Stayed December 2012

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!