“Great if you like trendy hotels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

Save Saved
You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #63 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Texas
“Great if you like trendy hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The first thing that strikes you about this property is the modern decor of the lobby and rooms. If you like this style you will love this hotel. The rooms were quite comfortable but had a few negatives. Positives were cleanliness, very comfortable bed, plenty of pillows, big TV, numerous plush linens, nice selection of bath products and and assortment of snacks and drinks to purchase. Negatives were the overall room size and small bathroom with a tiny sink. Check in was prompt and the person behind the desk was courteous. The bar was extremely active until closing at 2:00 a.m. I had breakfast in the restuarant and it was very good costing $20 per person which is not unreasonable for downtown Chicago. The wait staff was pleasent and engaging. If you want to stay downtown I would recommend this property.

Room Tip: I secured a good rate by pre-paying, check the W's website for offers.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

1,520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Rochester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had a nice stay at the W this past weekend for a wedding held across the street at the Marriott. Clean accommodations and a comfortable king size bed. The room though is very compact the furnishings are very modern. Our only complaint was that the door to the bathroom was more like a closet sliding door, thus no privacy.

Room Tip: Room facing the courtyard is quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I would first like to say I LOVE W City Center Chicago. I felt like royalty the way the staff took care of my boyfriend & I. TK & Jessica were two employees who truly made my stay enjoyable they went above & beyond .

• Stayed December 2012
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The W Chicago City Center has all of the trappings and corporate family culture of any W Hotel anywhere - the dark elevator with a throbbing backbeat, the cutesy toy car in the room, etc. However, this stay in this W was characterized by the absolute smallest room conceivable. Had I been staying in the room with another person, there wouldn't be air to breath. The bathroom is so small that you need to look around for a surface to put down a razor. Forget about a place to put down the shaving cream. To turn on the faucet in the sink, you need to move the glass off the sink in order to make room - and then, where do you put it? The top of the toilet is occupied by the tissue box. I drank one of those tiny bottles of Scotch in the minibar (silly me) and the W charged me $31.00 for the privilege (they later scaled that down by $20 when I wrote them an email). All in all, this was a pretty unimpressive stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I went to Chicago for a weekend getaway and was looking for a hotel central to touristy areas. The W is located right downtown and I was able to walk to the Willis Tower, the Art Institute of Chicago and Millenium Park. There is also easy access to taxis and the train. The W offers an Acura transportation service, but I wasn't able to try it out. I'd recommend making a reservation as early as possible.

The concierge and front desk were polite and helpful. The room was fairly standard, but the bed stood out as exceptionally comfortable.

I'd recommend the W to others and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

One must feel a little embarrassed for the W Chicago - City Center, since it must sit in the shadow of the JW Marriott across the street. When it comes to excellence, I suggest the sophisticated traveller stay on that side of the street, across from the W. The lobby of the W is small, crowded with furnishings and dark. It's not apparent where the hotel staff are, or whether there are even any staff at all, since they are hidden in the back of the lobby. The room furniture is sparse and styled like it was bought from IKEA. Nothing wrong with IKEA, if you're at a Comfort Inn. I didn't even have a dresser in my room. I guess, in the hope of being hip, the W forgot that some travellers carry a change of clothes with them. Oh well, it's a place to sleep and it seemed clean enough, so I give it a three rating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Franklin, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed as Starwood Owner guests at the W Chicago City Center through my Aunt and Uncle's Starwood Owner Points. Concierge, Dillon Elkin communicated with my aunt and uncle weeks before our stay to ensure we would be taken care of, as well as provided us with a complimentry *Free Room Upgrade to a Fantastic Room* When we arrived at the W Chicago City Center, the staff was so accommodating, friendly, and approachable. We were able to get an early check in, which was so helpful. When we arrived to our upgraded Fabulous room, it was so incredible; the king size bed was amazingly comfortable, the room was exceptionally clean and bright, and was decorated very peacefully and luxurious.

Our trip to Chicago and our stay at the W Chicago City Center ended up being the best weekend of my life because me and my boyfriend got engaged!! He popped the question on Saturday night by The Bean in Millennium Park. When we arrived back at the W hotel we shared the news with the staff, they were so happy for us!! The concierge continued to be very approachable making sure we were enjoying our stay and reminded us to let him know if we needed anything. My now Fiance and I will always remember this very special weekend and our wonderful stay at the W Chicago City Center.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet and peaceful. I would highly recommend a Fantastic room. Well worth the up grade!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!