“Great rooms great service great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #67 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
“Great rooms great service great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We just stayed here and I was beyond impressed!!! We go into Chicago at 830 am and they were able to accommodate us and give us our room right away! I just had knee surgery and Fatima at check in was great she made sure we had a room that will allow me to relax and enjoy. They say whatever whenever and they live up to that motto I needed an ice pack for my knee and I called down and within minutes they brought me 2 ice packs! The rooms are clean and spacious for a city hotel room. The location is great sky view and girodanos pizza are within blocks as well as the bean. They also have a complementary Acura shuttle that will take you anywhere you want within 5 miles !!! It's great we used it every night to go to dinne! Also the concierge is great we asked her for a great breakfast place and she gave me a card and said to go to Lou Mitchell's it's magical! We went and we skipped the wait because we had this card! It was the best breakfast we ever had!!! By far this hotel is great for a quick weekend get away !

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Dark and gloomy hotel- very friendly staff. I would recommend the other w hotel which is far better located and mich brighter. Room was TINY and rather noisy. Also no coffee in room you have to go downstairs and they say from 6am but I went 2 days at 6am and no coffee

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My first time in Chicago and travelling on business I booked a "Spectacular" grade room in the W City Centre for two nights.

First impression of the hotel is hugely over-styled: the dark mood lighting, huge furniture and constant piped trance music makes you wonder what they are trying to hide. Reception were hugely friendly and efficient, I felt welcomed. On a practical level the check-in desks are style over function, too dark and no room to fill-out details etc, they resemble a game show host podium.

Entering the lift the continuous trance music gets a bit louder and the ambience even darker....are light bulbs in short supply in Chicago?

First impression of the room was good until realisation there isn't a great deal of room around the bed. I've spent some time in american hotels and normally they are quite a bit larger - I get the impression this is an old building, renovated to new standards which has meant room sizes have been compromised. Trendy furniture looks great but again, even with every light on at my disposal the room is dark. Finding the under bed lighting (?) brightened things a little but showed that the edges of the room could do with a good hoover!

Bed was firm and restful sleep was easy; there is a vast cinemaesque wall-mounted TV which is oddly offset from the bed, around 2 feet to the left of the bed; directly in-front where the TV should go is a large fonted slogan on something banal like finding yourself - something that I'm sure is amusing on a birthday card but to read every time you look at the wall is odd.

The wall mounted TV had a second problem in that at 4:30am I found out that the next door room also has a wall mounted TV directly above my head. CNN at what seemed like maximum volume from the room next door is great for those of us who trying to make sense of sleep following a transatlantic flight.

The biggest disappointment has to be the bathroom. Firstly, I didn't think I had one as all I could see was a closet with a sliding door, but on sliding the door I realised that this approximately 6ft square room was to be my luxurious bathroom suite; the sliding door now obvious as the room wasn't big enough to have a door that actually opened normally.

The shower itself was fine, the basin impossibly small for someone with an actual face they want to wash or teeth they want to brush or things they want to store on a level surface. The toilet itself is far too close to the basin unit for those with conventionally arranged shoulders and elbows to accommodate themselves without bruising or injury.

Finally the room was atrociously expensive, add to that the frankly insulting fee for wi-fi I can't see much value add in this hotel.

Great location in the heart of the city I suspect people would only be happy in a "Wow" suite (although I shudder to think how expensive that would be).

Average, disappointing given the expectation set by the price and the "Spectacular" room name.

Room Tip: get the next room up from what you can afford!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We love Chicago! So with such a great location downtown, even an average hotel is a good thing. But despite the typical "W" hotel touches, this property seems to lack some of the charm of other properties. It is in a great location just a half block or so from the Orange Line (direct from Midway), and you can easily walk to any downtown locations - Art Institute, Grant Park, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Michigan Avenue, etc.

There's a good restaurant in the hotel lobby, IPO, with an interesting menu. Food was very good and the service was great. The service in the rest of hotel wasn't quite as impressive as I've seen in other "W" hotels.

The room was a little cramped with a weird layout. Again, it had the nice "W" amenities and a huge flat-screen t.v., and we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but it could get claustrophobic quickly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

I could not believe the size of the room for the price. For almost $300 a night I stayed in a small box. The space around the bed was the width of the door - literally. The counter in the bathroom was wide enough for a glass only. It's trendy and cute, but small and dark. High ratings on friendliness and service with low ratings on comfort.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I checked in during the Ryder Cup weekend, and as such i knew rates would be high, and i probably wouldn't be able to get an upgrade which i didn't. No problem, i was going to enjoy my stay anyway. However, upon getting to my room(623) it was as i suspected, like a small box... but i overlooked this and went out on the town to enjoy the evening. Upon my return, the cab pulls to the front drive and the doorman just looks inside at me and my guest, and turns back around and continues talking, and i'm like "wtf?!".. i am paying in excess of $300 and i want my damned door opened!.. I have been working in the hotel industry for the past 12 years in chicago so i know a thing or two about service, and this was clearly not the type of service i expect from the W.. travelodge yes, but not here. The housekeeping staff was excellent and very genuine and friendly, i met damara and she was very helpful in meeting my requests, and she always had a smile on her face.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I just want to say,thank you Chicago W. You guys and gals are the best. my stay was simple amazing. Ms.Eden,what more can i say,it was a pleasure meeting you and thank you for being so kind and attentive. I forgot the managers name at the front desk but i`ll go with the lady with the tattoo on her inner right wrist,thank you for effortlessly trying to help me out with the missed delivery. You and you staff rock. :]><

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!