“What makes it special?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Chicago - City Center

You added W Chicago - City Center to your Saves list
W Chicago - City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   172 West Adams at LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #73 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Orlando, Florida
“What makes it special?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Every once in awhile, a frequent traveler comes across a hotel at which they have such an amazing stay that they feel the need to share their experience with the world in great detail. For me so far in the last six months of travel, that hotel is the W Chicago City Center. What makes this even more special is the fact that this is my second time staying here. I thought my first stay was splendid, so to have it be even better the second time around is something I wasn’t expecting. Or maybe I should have.

My last stay here was in late December 2011 for NYE, and this time around, I was back in Chicago for business. I arrived a little later than expected on a Wednesday night, tired from a day full of travel, delayed flights, missed connections and other annoyances that come with frequent traveling. The only thing I had on my mind when arriving here initially was to take a quick shower, get something to eat as I had eaten nothing for several hours, and then get some much needed rest. At the front desk - Amanda Sweetman, a talented Welcome Agent welcomed me back and got me checked-in…she had actually checked me in when I was here the first time in December, so to once again be greeted by the same person who is able to recall your previous stay is a very positive (and rare) thing. It makes you feel more comfortable, and the stress from a busy day of travel eases up a bit as well. I had mentioned that it’d be nice to get some deep-dish pizza from Lou Malnati’s at this hour and even before I could check the restaurant hours on my phone she quickly checked for me. Not only that, but she checked other options as well, before I even asked what else was around the area since Lou’s was closed. Just like my previous stay, she once again went above and beyond what one can usually expect from a Welcome Agent and took the customer service experience to a higher level that is so rare these days. My stressful day was starting to turn around within the first few minutes of arriving here….

I had been upgraded to a Fantastic Suite on the 5th floor, and this hotel does a great job of recognizing SPG Platinum guests. The room itself was large and in immaculate condition, the modern furnishings in line with other new W’s around the country. I took a quick shower and headed back downstairs to have a quick bite at IPO per Amanda’s suggestion. Since she suggested the Tofu sandwich, I decided to go ahead and give that a try and it turned out to be an excellent choice! I’m not really a huge fan of Tofu but IPO makes a terrific sandwich and the prices here for any dish is very reasonable. I went back up to my room to call it a night and had a wonderful nights sleep on the incredibly comfortable W bed.

The next day when returning to the hotel from business, I needed to take a couple business partners out for dinner and drinks. One of the other things this W has that make it special is Laurelin Hefter, the W Insider for Chicago. Laurelin had reached out to me prior to my arrival regarding anything I needed in terms of dining reservations or getting suggestions for an evening, and even gave me plenty of options to pick from. I needed a nice place to take my partners out to, so I let her pick for me since I have a hard time deciding when being given several options that all look amazing to me. She made reservations on such short notice at Roka Akor for dinner, and then The Aviary for drinks afterwards. I’ve had some good Japanese before in NYC and L.A., but her suggestion was the best Japanese food I’ve ever had. My guests and I were raving about the food all evening, and Laurelin (once again) delivered on a dining suggestion that remains one of my best dining experiences of the year. I thought the dining experience was amazing, but the drinks experience at The Aviary was one to remember as well. I’ve used Concierge at other W’s and other hotels, but have experienced nothing like the W Insider in Laurelin Hefter and the concierge team at the W City Center. She knows the city about as well as anyone, and promises to deliver on a level that is far superior to any concierge experience one will ever have. This has been the case a couple times now, and the W Insider here is among the best of all W’s. Let her and the concierge team plan an evening for you, and it will be one you will remember (and only in a good way).

When checking out the next day, I came across Amanda again who made checking out quick and effortless, then asked me how my stay was and that they look forward to welcoming me back again next time and to reach out in advance if I never need anything prior to my next stay. The little things like this make this hotel stand out from others, and since I had a great experience the first time around this latest experience shows that this hotel is consistent on its service. Brian Herro, the Welcome Desk Director has an incredibly talented staff here and Welcome Agents like Amanda Sweetman set a new standard for guest services. The Concierge team here is no ordinary Concierge team, and W Insider Laurelin Hefter is a superstar that will make sure you have an incredible experience. My business partners still thank me…days later about their experience at Roka Akor and The Aviary, and it’s all due to the W Insiders actions.

This stay convinced me that the W City Center is a hidden gem of the W Hotel brand. Many hotels out there have nice rooms, nice facilities and amenities that will impress any guest, but the talented staff members here have redefined hospitality and taken it to new heights that I have never experienced before. The W Chicago Center is all about the complete experience, and I can’t wait to be back here again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Walnut, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I was looking for a seafood restaurant and TK recommended the Shaw's Crab House. TK made me a reseervaton in a moments notice and the food was GREAT. I enjoyed the dinner and the people were very nice. Thanks TK.

I also would like to mention that Fatima from the front desk was very very helpful and so sweet. I was traveling alone on business and I told her that I was coming back the following week and if all possoble I could have the same room. My room was on the 20th floor far away from hthe elevator. Fatima made a note on the system so I can have the same room the next time I come.

These two ladies are the reason customers like me keep coming back to the W Hotel. I had a very plesant experience and i will recommend W Hotel to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Room 2005 is quiet and very spacious.
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The W City Center in Chicago lives up to the W reputation. I received an upgraded room that was beautifully appointed and spotless. The staff was welcoming and appeared to genuinely care about the quality of my stay at the hotel. I also was able to get an unusually low rate ($249) -- not sure if I just got lucky or if that is typical. In any event, that rate is far lower than I usually have to pay for a hotel of this quality.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I planned a surprise trip to Chicago for my girlfriend to ask her to spend the rest of her life with me. I can not begin the explain how Eden, our conceirge, made our expience the best. Eden suggested great resteraunts on multiple days while offering to do so much more.

Eden went out of her way on one specific occasion and truly exemplified the "Whatever..Whenever" motto of the W Hotels. We asked if the hotel had a "white noise" machine to loan as we are use to one in our room at home. At the time, the hotel did not have one but they went to 5 different stores in the Chicago area to find one! I was so impressed and would never expect someone to go to such lengths to made our trip so special.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I love this Hotel! It was tastefully decorated, and unique. The bar serves wonderful drinks too. Every single staff person was extermely friendly. The room and bathroom (with Bliss products-yay!) had all the bells and whistles!

Room Tip: the 254 square ft rooms are very comfy!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Came in for just a night with my girlfriend. We were pressed for time, and TK helped us find a great restaurant. My girlfriend is a vegetarian, and when TK made the reservation, she impressed upon the staff that we were in a rush and that one of the people in our party didn't eat meat. Great experience all around!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Marshall, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the W for three days with our daughter and 3 grandsons - age 4, 6, and 8. The boys had boundless energy yet were we were treated with the utmost courtesy and a spirit that made all feel extremely comfortable. Their customer service to us says that they have the ability to make anyone comfortable. Concierges Eden Bernal and TK Radzovski were awesome and so helpful. I totally recommend this hotel for any stay in Chicago!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are very nice and spacious. The Cozy rooms work very well as well if not needed for...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to W Chicago - City Center? Share your experiences!