“OMIGOD croissants.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hendrickx Belgian Bread Crafter

Hendrickx Belgian Bread Crafter
100 East Walton Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (University Village / Little Italy)
(312) 649-6717
Neighborhood: University Village / Little Italy
Boston, Massachusetts
“OMIGOD croissants.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Get your breakfast here. The best croissant I have ever eaten, in a dozen flavors, fresh out of the oven. Closed mondays. Get coffee elsewhere.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Miami, Florida
“Greatest bread this side of Brussels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I live around the corner from this bakery. We travel to Europe yearly and untill this shop opened it was impossible to duplicate the bread here in the States. I think it must be like bread was 150 years ago. It is almost a meal in itself. They sell 1/4, 1/2 and whole loaves. It is expensive but worth it.

Visited May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Belgium's Croissant Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Purchased a GrouponNow to check this place out. It's a bit of a walk from work, but it was nice out, and I needed an excuse to peel myself out of my cubicle.

Upon arriving, I was a bit confused walking in. It's a very small space with the register set-up on the back wall to your right. Behind the register are the baked goods, not enclosed behind glass. I was a bit conflicted about that.

I was warmly welcomed and directed to the menu. I ordered the curry chicken salad, and decided to splurge and buy the dark chocolate croissant and muffins. It was getting a bit cramped as others started pouring in, but I didn't have to wait long for my order. I have a problem being in small tight places, so I didn't sit out to eat in their narrowly spaced eating area. I trekked it back to work. (seating inside is a bit too cramped, but doable for those visiting)

Now the salad presentation is very weird. Each part of the salad was in sections: lentils, pile of greens, piece of bread, and pile of curry chicken. Honestly, I had no idea how to eat it, so I just piled a little of everything on the bread. Surprisingly, it was really good, especially the curry chicken and bread. I did the best I could with the rest using my fork, but I sure was disappointed I didn't have another piece of that bread.

Decided to eat half of the croissant, and ended up eating a whole one. It took allot of willpower not to eat the other one. First croissant I ate that wasn't drenched in butter or oil. Nothing like it! Nothing at all!

Why five stars? - Family owned, goods are made from scratch, it's unique in presentation and offerings, absolutely original, and it's really good. It's a little piece of Belgium in Chicago. We have enough darn cupcake places here!

I visited again to try the sandwich version of the salad and it was amazing! I also tried their almond chocolate croissant. You really can't go wrong with their baked goods. It's a must stop when visiting the Water Tower Place in Chicago. It's just about 2 blocks away. This area is called the Gold Coast, so expect to pay a bit more than usual for food around there.

• Visited August 2011