“5 Stars” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conrad Chicago

You added Conrad Chicago to your Saves list
Conrad Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   521 North Rush Street, at Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
washington, dc
“5 Stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

First time at this hotel. Rooms are spacious and beautiful. Staff is priofessional and very helpful. Hotel couldn't have a better location. This is a true "5 star" hotel, yest very low-key and not stuffy. It's not cheap, but an excellent value.

I'm handicapped, and the handicap rooms are perfect-the best I've found so far. Overall, and extremely pleasant stay.

• Liked — luxury
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Korean first
Fishers, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

My daughter, son and my daughter's friend are at the Conrad as we speak. I booked two rooms through Expedia, and with a non-refundable package, we got an extraordinary rate.

The hotel is very clean and very serene. The room service has been wonderful, and the concierge services have been excellent. I can barely get my son out of the shower in the morning, they are so big and nice.

Our view is dismal, but our rate was wonderful. I'm sure that there are some great views from more expensive rooms. But we're in Chicago. There's a lot to do OUTSIDE of the room.

We are two blocks from Michigan Ave. and have several nice restaurants in walking distance.

The attached NorthBridge mall is nice for my daughter. I can allow her a little big city freedom with safety.

We saw Wicked and have been to the Art Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry. Awesome.

Great city, great place to enjoy it from.

• Liked — Very Quiet but steps away from the fun.
  • Disliked — Prive of room service breakfast
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Central Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

The decor, accomodations, and staff were all first class. Very comfy beds and a fantastic location. We were very happy with this faciltiy
in every way.

• Liked — Upscale accomodations
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

Stayed here for a conference a few weeks ago for one night. This is a very nice property, quietly tucked off Michigan Avenue.

Pros:
It was nice to escape from the chaos of the city to a very calm, relaxing place. I liked that the Conrad didn't seem like a gigantic conference hotel like some of its neighbors with conventioneers all over. Not much of a scene like the Peninsula, but the bar area was busy enough.
The room: nice, though if you looked closely you could see a few shortcuts taken in putting it together. The tub was super and the water pressure amazing. A deep soaking tub that actually filled rapidly! Good Molton Brown toiletries. But the best was the staff. Everyone was super professional, extra friendly and went out of their way to help.

Cons:
As I said there were a few shortcuts in the room (no convenient outlets to the bed; when you soaked in the tub you looked at the raw underside of the sink area, etc. No view, but that wasn't so important.

I'm definitely recommending the Conrad to friends who want to be near Michigan Ave but away from the crowds around Oak St.

• Liked — Calm atmosphere, location, great staff
  • Disliked — shortcuts in some areas, no view from room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

Stayed for a weekend March 23-26 to catch the Flames @ Blackhawks game on Sunday.

Flew in to ORD around Noon, got to hotel at 12:50, checked in early no problem. Friendly front desk lady lend my buddy a cell phone charger as he forgot it back home.

Request high floor, assigned room was on 11th Floor (mid floor as hotel is level 5-17 in the building.) next to the elevator, I was dreading for a bit but noise from hallway was non-existent.

Huge and spotless double-double room has plasma TV and Bose 3-2-1 system. Resolution sucked on the TV though as it's just a regular SD feed, no HD.

Slippers are my favorite amenity in a hotel room when travelling, I have a morbid fear of walking around barefeet no matter how clean a room is. Asian hotels always have them no matter how cheap, same cannot be said about North America even with the upscale ones.

Robes are of course pretty standard in a Conrad.

Bathroom has no tub, which suits us just fine. Giant tiled standing shower and granite vanity with seperate lavatory. Pretty standard Conrad. Showerhead could use more pressure in rain mode. Had to have it on massage mode to get any pressure. Molton Brown amenities are nice. Towels felt thin & cheap though there were plenty of them.

In-room safe is quite small but fit my 12" laptop fine, the built-in outlet for charging is also very handy. The safe however isn't bolted down though and is just connected by the power cord to the minibar cabinet. And the hotel doesn't have card key security in the elevators so it posed a minor concern for me to leave valuables in the safe.

Evening turndown service offered complementary mini-Evian waters, nice touch.

Linens & Beds are excellent and we slept in every night as it was so comfy. our room overlooked the back of another building and noise from the NMA was non-existent. Our friends over at the Westin however had a suite with a glorious view of NMA and heard sirens blaring by every night. Sucks to be them.

HVAC is perfect. Hotel rooms always tend to be too cold/too hot. Not at the Conrad. It was perfectly comfortable with the dial at 70F

Housekeeping was topnotch. We're slobs when on the road for hockey road trips and the room is always spotless when we come back. No one ever disturbed us when we had the DND sign on the door 'til we woke up and left at noon everyday, yet the room's always ready when we come back around 5 for a shower before dinner after some shopping and sightseeing.

Had a bottle of VOSS water from the room, nothing special, but the bottle was cool looking.

Wireless AND Wired High speed internet is free, but both are painfully slow even with good signal on the wireless. But it got my work done. Don't try to download anything major though or you'll be sitting there for an hour.

Did not eat at the hotel nor ordered room service. Went downstairs to level 4 (the mall's food court, must take hotel elevator to level 5 the lobby first then transfer into the mall elevator) and ate at Tuscany, the Italian fast food place that served restaurant style pasta in a fast food setting with fast food prices. Quite decent and the price is very agreeable.

Only pet peeve is the 3 elevator system to navigate if you're unfamiliar with it, I was fine but our friends from the Westin got lost when they came to visit.

Requested late checkout and was given 2PM without a fuss on Monday as I had a 6PM flight out of O'Hare. Excellent front desk girl did it with a smile.

Fitness centre was 5 steps from our room next to the elevator, very convenient and huge. Complementary green apples and all the hand towels you can use are a nice touch.

LOCATION. This cannot be stressed enough. Smack in the middle of the Mag Mile (NMA), right across from the Intercontinental if you enter through the Nordstrom mall. Walking distance to anywhere. We walked to the Water Tower, Hancock Building, Navy Pier, the Loop, ESPN Zone, Hard Rock Hotel, The Trump Tower under construction, Walgreen's at the Realtor Building, and the Macy's next to the Westin where our friends are staying. The only time we took a cab was to & from ORD and the Shedd Aquarium/Field Museum and the United Center for the game.

Weather & Others: It was raining on the Friday, bloody cold on the Saturday and absolutely gorgeous on Sunday and Monday. Had a great time all weekend though even with the bad weather to start. Wished we could've stayed longer. Everyone we met were very friendly, which is more than I could say for LA, there's just something about the midwest that feels so much like home. The streets are surprisingly clean in a city of almost 3 million. Other than the traffic problems, I left the Windy City throughly impressed.

• Liked — Location, Great Service, Peace & Quiet, Spotlessly Clean
  • Disliked — Annoying Elevators setup. The weekend was too short.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mankato
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

Check-in staff were very pleasant and professional. In fact, I didn't encounter one staff member who made me feel unwelcome. Felt very welcome upon arrival. Concierge was quick to offer assistance out of the taxi and to help with baggage if needed. The lobby was not huge, however it was cozy. The terrace looks like it would be a great place to sit and have a drink in the spring and summer. There is a gift shop in the lobby, however I'm sure prices are high. There is a Walgreens not to far from the hotel.

As a HHonors Diamond member, I was upgraded to a king suite overlooking Michigan Ave. What a wonderful room! Everything was very clean and in good working order. Appreciated the large-screen plasma tvs and Bose Surround Sound System.

I really appeciated how thick the walls were in this hotel .. I could not hear anyone from the rooms next to mine.

The bathroom was also very nice and incredibly clean. Deep soaking tub was very nice and just what I needed after a day on the town. The bathroom was stocked with great amenities!

Room service was fast and efficient and the food was very tasty. Internet service was reliable (both wired and wireless are free). Fitness center looked very nice, however I did not get a chance to use it. It was nice being able to walk next door to the shopping complex (restaurants are located on the top level).

Stopped at the concierege desk to ask for tickets to a show in town, however he was busy with another couple. One of the front desk staff immediately came over and asked if I needed assistance.

The location is nice .. just a quick walk to the Magnificient Mile, Water Tower Place/John Hancock Buidling, Macy's, etc. The Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile Hotel and Intercontinental Chicago are across the street.

I would definately stay at this hotel again, in fact I plan to make it my prefered hotel when in town. HHonors members have good chances of getting upgrades, especially on the weekends. The only downfall to this hotel (just like other 4-5 star hotels in the area) is the price often exceeds my budget.

Tip: Check the Chicago Conrad hotel website and click on "specials" on the bar at the top of the page. I booked a weekend package that included a $100 credit toward incidentals and only payed about $50 more for the package .. thus I received about $50 to spend.

• Liked — Wonderful staff and beautiful, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Rooms that face the city have a view that is often occluded by other buildings. Booking a cheper room that doesn't have a city view may be wise if you are on a budget.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

We traveled to Chicago for the first time for a wedding on St. Patrick's Day 2007. I chose the Conrad for the location and after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. I was traveling with my husband and wanted an upscale hotel.

Pros:
The Conrad is lovely. Our city view room was of North Michigan Avenue and the InterContinental Hotel across the street. The room was a nice size, the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was amazing -- large and upscale. Complimentary robes/slippers, a nice lobby and bar area (both on the 5th floor) and pleasant front desk staff and doormen rounded out the feeling of modern luxury. Check-in was efficient. The connection via walkway to the attached shopping was convenient to pick up coffee and items we forgot to bring with us.

The location was great -- we could walk to Millenium Park, dinner at Keefers, and to watch the officials dye the river green for the holiday.

Cons:
The room's large, flat screen TV resolution seemed to be a bit off and we couldn't seem to get the phone to work unless it was on speaker. Uninterested/less then friendly bartender.

Overall:
The Conrad is not an overwhelming facility. It is not a 'take your breath away' kind of place. It is modern yet warm. We booked a reasonable AAA price via the hotel website. I would stay here again. That being said, there are numerous hotels within a block or two of the Conrad, including (but not limited to) Embassy Suites, The Marriott, Courtyard Marriott, the InterContinental, Hilton Garden Inn and the Hampton Inn, so you'll have many opportunities to get great deals.

• Liked — Location and room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Conrad Chicago? Share your experiences!