“Caution to business travelers who expect to work in your rooom” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Conrad Chicago

Save Saved
You added Conrad Chicago to your Saves list
Conrad Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   521 North Rush Street, at Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Sunday Special from $129
Ranked #14 of 167 hotels in Chicago
New York, NY
“Caution to business travelers who expect to work in your rooom”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

Another reviewer mentioned the uncomfortable working situation at the in-room desk. The desk chair is like an arm chair meant for TV watching, not working at a desk. It was way too low, such that my arms had to reach up to the desktop to work on my laptop and the 6-inch thick seat cushion deflated to a pancake when I sat on it. It was excruciatingly uncomfortable. Made a stressful business trip even worse -- just the opposite of what a good business hotel should do.

There was only a meager buffet when I went down for breakfast; no a la carte. Despite there being several jars of jam on the table, there was no butter; and none on the buffet, which I realized after I had made my toast. Of course it took five minutes to get some from the kitchen.

Such a shame asthe hotel is rather nice; and the staff couldn't have been kinder or more helpful. The decor is just a little past interesting to being somewhat strange. Kind of like somewhat at Disney's vision of a high-end tomorrowland. I kept wanting to like the hotel as it's the kind of higher-end, smaller hotel I like, but they made it hard for me. I would never go back.

For the price I paid --- over $260 -- I think you can do much better in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business

2,126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

As a travel professional, I practically live in hotels, and I was very impressed with the staff at the Conrad Chicago.

From my first contract with the bellman, everyone was universally helpful and friendly without being patronizing.

Our corner suite had a great view of the John Hancock Building and if we looked farther north we could see Lake Michigan. The furnishings were a bit worn, but the bed was wonderful and the bathroom, very large and well-designed.

The staff did a great job of taking care of my family (we used Hilton Honors reward vouchers to pay for the rooms) and the next time I stay in downtown Chicago, I hope to stay at the Conrad Hilton.

(Also being connected to Nordstrom's and the shoppng mall was very convenient.)

• Stayed March 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2006

Stayed at the Conrad Feb. 3-5 and it was excellent. Room was very nice and clean, and the cleaning staff always made sure we had what we needed. The doormen were beyond great, always helping in any way they could. They even made arrangements to have a sedan drive us to the airport for just a little more than a cab would have cost. The concierge was also very helpful and printed out our bording passes ahead of time for us. The whole staff at the hotel was very friendly and eager to help in any way. They haven't even had time to change over to the Conrad amenities yet, but I still found the stay excellent and will definitely go back! Yes, you have to change elevators to get to your room, but I just didn't find that to be a big deal. Great staff, great rooms, great location, great hotel.

• Stayed February 2006
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

I live in Chicago and have frequent occasion to recommend hotels to friends and business acquaintances. We recently put up a candidate (and his family) we were recruiting for our company at the Conrad. We had had good luck with this hotel when it was a Le Meridien. It was a disappointment for all concerned as a Conrad.

On the plus side, our guests were able to check in early with no problem and they generally liked their room.

On the downside…

They learned after the fact that all rooms with two beds have no bath tub (only a shower). Our guests moved to a room with a bath tub and found hairs in it, which they had to clean themselves.

When the coffee bar had no caffeinated coffee and our guests asked for some, they were told it would be delivered immediately. When they called 30 minutes later the front desk admitted that they had “forgotten.”

While the concierge and doorman were quite helpful, our guests told us that the front desk personnel were sullen and unresponsive.

Our guests were generally under whelmed by one of the “five best hotels in Chicago.” Conrad has a long way to go to compete with the Four Seasons, Peninsula and Park Hyatt.

Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2005

I have been in the travel industry for 13 plus years and have traveled extensively and the Conrad Chicago is one of the best hotels I've stayed at... Throughout my stay I was impressed with the quality of service provided. All the staff, from the front desk to room service treated me like I was a V.I.P. I would recommend the Conrad Chicago to anyone who is lokoing for simply the best. They are doing a fantastic job.

• Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

We just spent 3 nights at the Conrad and having read some of the recent reviews and knowing of the change of management etc., I was concerned. Our party had 3 rooms (for 6 people) and I must say that we were all pleased with all aspects of the hotel. The location is great, the beds were great, and contrary to other reviews, the staff could not have been more friendly or accomodating. The rooms and common areas were very clean, functional, and comfortable. I have stayed in many properties on Michigan Ave., 4 and 5 star, and based on our experience, the Conrad is no disappointment. We did not dine on site solely because of the great variety of restaurants a block or two away. The elevators are a little quirky, i.e. the lobby is on the fifth floor, and you change elevators to go to the rooms, but this is no big deal at all. We highly recommend this property.

• Stayed December 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2005

The Conrad Hilton recently took over this property from the failed Meridian Hotel. It seems that the Conrad has inherited a hotel property that just doesn't work.
The entrance is very difficult to find. There are only two elevators to take you up to the lobby. As a result, there was often a line waiting for them. The same problem affects the guest room elevators located beyond the registration area. If you go in and out of the hotel more than a couple of times during your stay, you will find the poor elevator layout annoying.
The King room is what I would consider small compared to other Chicago hotels. Although I like modern design, the room was quite stark and cold. It was also showing quite a bit of wear and tear. The bathroom was the best part.
Has anyone from management tried to sit in the chair and work at the desk? It was the most uncomfortable set-up I've experienced.
The views are non-existent for most of the rooms. In a city with amazing vistas, this was disappointing. I saw a couple walking the halls with management trying to find a room that was acceptable to them.
Room service breakfast was a highlight of our stay. Excellent food and high quality presentation.
Sorry I couldn't write a better review. Would I stay here again? No. Chicago has some incredible hotels and this is not one of them.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business

Been to Conrad Chicago? Share your experiences!