“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conrad Chicago

You added Conrad Chicago to your Saves list
Conrad Chicago
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   521 North Rush Street, at Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have been traveling to Chicago weekly, for business, since May. I have stayed in a LOT of hotels. This is by far my favorite property. I have stayed at least once a month (when I can get a room within the budget I've been given). I am here for the next 3 weeks, very lucky. Staff is always friendly and helpful from the front desk to housekeeping. I have never had a bad experience. If something is not right it is promptly fixed, no questions or attitude. Just a Great hotel... Thank you!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ConradChicago, Manager at Conrad Chicago, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review of the Conrad Chicago on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to learn that you continue to enjoy the hotel and truly appreciate your loyal patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home" and having you as our guest for the next three weeks.

Conrad Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Evansville, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

After doing lots of research, we decided based on the great reviews to try the Conrad. Don't get me wrong, this hotel has a lot going for it, location being one of them. But our experience was poor from the start. First, we reserved the Junior Terrace Suite, and upon arrival was told that they overbooked that room type so we were "upgraded". We landed in room 1607 and found out that yes, it was larger, but that it was a) missing the soaking tub the other room had and b) we were right under the rooftop HVAC which vibrated the entire bedroom, including the artwork on the wall which, despite our best efforts (and the efforts of other prior guests based on the slipper we found behind the painting) we could not stop it from vibrating against the wall. Second problem was the shower. The seal at the bottom was broken which lead to a river of water and large puddle in both the main bathroom and the side toliet room which we had to wipe up.

We decided the terrace view and spaciousness of the room was enough to not make these an issue. I thought I would mention it as we checked out, which we did. Sadly, what would have been a 4 star review from me quickly devolved to 2 stars as the front desk agent thought the vibrating wall, which kept me up for two nights was funny and started giggling at us. We also mentioned the water issue and he seemed not to take that seriously either.

Again, I wanted to love this hotel, the views were beautiful and the location was choice. As long as you don't stay in room 1607, you should be okay...

Room Tip: If you get booked room 1607, ask for a different room.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Conrad Chicago experience on TripAdvisor. I am terribly sorry that you were disturbed in your room by the rooftop HVAC unit. The unit needs to be rebalanced and our team will address this immediately. Additionally, there is no excuse for rude service and I hope you will accept our apologies. The team member involved has been counseled. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope that despite your dissatisfaction with your recent stay, you will afford us future opportunities to serve you in the true spirit of hospitality for which Conrad Hotels are known.

mexico, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel is good located, you can enter the hotel throught the nordstrom at michigan avenue, there are a lot of good restaurants just a couple of blocks from the hotel. I was there for the chicago marathon and the marathon morning they put at the reception some food for early breakfast with the advice "good luck runners", that was a very good detail.

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

ConradChicago, Manager at Conrad Chicago, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review of the Conrad Chicago on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel particularly our location convenient to everything. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Eventually arrived at the Conrad after a long flight from the UK and a nightmare one-and-a-half hours journey by arranged transport - yes, it can take that long in rush hour and with thunderstorms all around us. Our large room was on the 15th floor, unfortunately with very little to view from our window (but we got plenty of excellent views from various towers in the next few days!). Everything was what we would expect from this class of hotel - except for the coffee-maker, which was non-existent. However, it just took an enquiry at front desk for us to have a complimentary one delivered - an upmarket trendy type which took a while to fathom out but which made an excellent cup of coffee. The hotel's location was perfect - just a short walk through the adjacent mall gets you on Michigan Avenue and right by bus stops. We were tired and ate at the bar that first evening, surprisingly not too pricey despite where we were. Front of desk could not have been more helpful whenever we had a query. A great stay in a perfect location - the Conrad "made" the Chicago part of our nearly-four-week tour in the States.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of the Conrad Chicago on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to learn that you chose Conrad for the first stop on your tour of the States. We're happy you enjoyed the hotel, especially our excellent location close to everything and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a night last weekend to meet up with family. We had totally forgotten that it was the Marathon weekend, so lucky us for still getting a room!
While the view wasn't so great, the location sure was! A walkway into Nordstrom?? DANGEROUS ;-).
The bathrooms were spacious as other reviewers already mentioned, and I liked that the actual toilet was another separate room.
Water and Wifi were complimentary, and something else to check out are the personalized pillows: I had a bit of a head cold and ordered the cold and flu pillow, infused with refreshing mint and eucalyptus- I slept like a baby!
I wish I could say something about breakfast but it was not included. Valet parking was on the pricey side, but considering where you stay, it's not surprising.

So, all in all, a good hotel in a great location.

What did put me over was this however: On sunday, we had left our bags there after we checked out. When we returned, my partner's bag was not there. Someone else must have taken it in the whole hurly burly of people leaving after the marathon. I was initially really angry about this, but the way the staff dealt with this was impressive. Within 12 hours they had located our bag, and sent us a tracking number to send it to our home. On top of it, they offered us a free night's stay there, to make it up to us. Definitely the way it's done.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review of the Conrad Chicago on TripAdvisor. We're so pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel and were able to post such a positive review even after another guest inadvertently departed with a piece of your partner's luggage. We're happy that we were able to recover the luggage and return it to you so quickly. Again, thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Prior to check in, I emailed the hotel as well as downloaded their app (yes, they have one and its free for Iphone users). I made a request through their app requesting a higher room and a fridge, both which were granted upon arrival to the room.

Room 1515 was where we were situated for our 3 nights in Chicago. It's located on the 15th floor of a 17 floor building, and at the opposite end of the elevators and faces Magnificant Mile. From our view, we could see Burberry, Gap and the Sears/Willis Tower. With everything in between, the room itself was nothing out of the ordinary and I did appreciate the soft bed and huge tv, although we were quite addicted to watching Bad Ink and Storage Wars lol.

Bathroom: Shower is quite small and the shower head does not budge which bugged me because there was no space for me to move around while showering. There was a tub which we didn't use and a enclosed toilet room. Didn't see to be any ventilation systems in the bathroom so be prepared to smell the smoots.

As many others have said, the lobby is on the 5th floor so when we first arrived, we weren't sure where to go but eventually found our way. On the street level of Mag Mile, go down the stairs in front of the Purple Pig and turn right and go straight and you will see the entrance eventually. So you have to go to the 5th floor then from there take another elevator to your room floor. Kind of annoying but I guess maybe it's for safety reasons? Conrad Chicago hotel stayers get their own special entrance to/from the mall as well. My bf, AngryBirdRed, definitely used this to shop until he dropped while I was busy working.

If you need to print your boarding pass, go to their "business center" aka a tiny room with no chair with an ATM-like machine with a printer to print. It's right next to the gift shop on the left of lobby elevators. You apparently get charged if you surf the net on that computer. Very stupid, if you ask me.

Definitely a great location, good free wifi (up to supposedly 1gb daily?), complimentary water in the room as well as complimentary tea/coffee in the AM.

Room Tip: Pick a higher room
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your Conrad Chicago review on TripAdvisor. We're pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel overall, particularly our excellent location central to everything. We're sorry that you were misinformed about the hotel's Business Center, which is located on our 8th floor and is fully equipped with PC's, a Mac, a color copier and printers. Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Chicago.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked the Conrad because she had a business meeting to attend in Chicago. The Conrad had gotten a lot of good reviews, so we thought why not take a chance. This hotel had a lot of pros and cons to it, so I am going to try to be as thorough as I can.

A 30-minute cab ride from O'Hare, the set-up was a little strange to begin with. The hotel entrance is on the lower level of the street. By cab, you are dropped off by the front door, but later on, as we walked around, we had to take a flight of stairs down, walk around the block, then turn right and there was the entrance. The concierge desk is right as you enter, and the 2 elevators are to your right. You then have to take the elevator to the 5th floor, as this is the lobby. This is a little strange, but I guess you just learn to deal with it. On the 5th floor, as you exit the elevator, to the left is the souvenir shop and an internet kiosk (which we later used to print out our boarding passes). The kiosk thing was a nice touch, although you have to stand to use it and there is only 1 computer. If you turn right as you exit the elevators, make a quick right and there is the front desk. Usually there are 2 people there and they check you in fairly quickly.

Across the front desk are two doors. One door leads to a corridor that takes you to another elevator, that you can take to enter the North Shops, which has Nordstrom, Armani Exchange, Benetton, etc (also a food court). This is pretty cool, especially if you like to shop or want easy access to enter onto Michigan Avenue (the Magnificent Mile). The other door leads to their Terrace Bar. We did not go here, but it looked nice.

If you are facing the front desk, you turn left, pass the waiting area and restaurant/bar, you will see the elevators that take you to your room. You also pass, what I assume is their Private Dining area. There are 3 elevators and all seems to arrive pretty quickly. The hotel has 18 floors, and we stayed on 15. We never had to wait long for any elevator.

It is easy to find your way to your room and we arrived at night on Thursday, so we wanted to do a quick inspection and then relax. The room was on the small side. I would say perfect for a single traveller, but a light tight for more than just one person. The bathroom is to your left and this had a nice sink, with a long counter (enough room for your toiletries), a closet shower, a bathtub, and a small room (with door) for the toilet. Some of the cons here are that the shower is tiny. I am 6'0 and I felt a little claustrophobic in there. The shower head does not tilt or move, you can only adjust the stream, so it was a little hard to lather in there. Maybe my girlfriend did not have any issues, but she is smaller than me. To me, the shower needs to be bigger. I always felt like I was hitting the screen door or knocking the wall. The mini-toilet room is both a pro and a con. It definitely gives you some added privacy, but at the same time, it seemed that the fan in there wasnt working (maybe just in our room).

After you pass the bathroom, to your left is the bed, to your right is a large-screen flat-panel TV. Next to the TV was the empty fridge (not sure if we requested this) and another fridge/safe on the other side. Next to that, was the only table in the room. My girlfriend and I normally like to put our luggage on the hotel tables and it was a little cramped for us. There was a recliner-type chair and a small glass endtable there, but we did not use either. On each side of the bed, were little endtables.

The bed itself was a king-size bed, I believe, and it was comfy. There were live 5 or 6 pillows. It was actually 2 twin sized box-springs, pushed together and a king size mattress over it. As long as the box-springs didn't split, which they didn't, then we were fine with it. It was a nice bed, and most importantly, it was clean.

Another con was the thermostat. It seemed like we could only adjust this 2 degrees and either have it on low, high, or off. This meant that as soon as we arrived, it was pretty warm in there and itd take awhile to cool the room down. This also meant that by morning, it'd be freezing in the room as this happened to us each morning. We could not turn the AC off, because it gets warm quick, so we had to deal with the freezing mornings. I am not sure if our thermostat was broken or not or if this is how all of them are, but this is the first time we have ever had any issues with the room temperature.

You are also allowed wifi-access, which is cool. Every member of the staff we encountered, was friendly. We were always greeted with a smile or a salutation. This does not happen at all hotels. My only issue with the staff had to do with turn-down service. I had asked a guy at the front desk if we could schedule an early turn-down service as we would both be out of the room for a good time and we needed fresh towels and toilet paper. The guy typed something in and said it was done. I walked my girlfriend to her meeting and then walked around on my own for awhile. I was gone a good 3 hours, when I decided to go back to the room to drop something off. When I got there, no new towels, no toilet paper. I stayed in the room another few hours and no one came by or knocked on the door. Later in the afternoon I went to pick up my girlfriend from her meeting and we came back and changed to go out. I asked a different guy at the front desk if we could have someone come now and he, in a rude British tone (maybe that is just how he sounds), that turn down service starts at 5:30pm and it will be done. So if turn-down service started at 5:30pm, why did the other guy tell me that we scheduled an earlier one? Also, the next day, we went out for brunch and I asked a 3rd guy at the front desk if we could have the turn-down service done earlier because we would be gone for awhile, then when we got back, we would stay in our room because we had an early flight back to NY the next morning. Again, the guy typed in something and said it was set up. This time, they actually did it. New towels, bed was made. This just made me think that they are a little inconsistent. We did not need much from them, but it just seemed like we got 3 different situations happening.

Overall, the room was very clean and everything was satisfactory, just my opinion that it would be better for lone travellers. If you have meetings to attend and will still have some extra time before or after, then I would recommend this hotel. The restaurants/bars seemed nice but probably on the $$ side. There is easy access to shopping or sightseeing. I just think if you have a family or go with a significant other, then maybe this hotel would not be for you.

Room Tip: Bring a good amount of $$ for shopping, eating and know you are going to have to take 2 elevators at...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a detailed review of the Conrad Chicago on TripAdvisor. While we're pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel overall, we do apologize for the shortcomings you noted. There is simply no excuse for rude service and you may be assured that the incident regarding your requuest for early turndown will be addressed with our team. Please accept our apologies. Thank you for pointing out the hotel's excellent location along Michigan Avenue with access to dining and shopping. Although it does appear that our cab driver selected an inconvenient drop off point for your arrival, as most cabs drop off at our main entrance on Rush Street.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the Conrad Chicago. We hope you will chose us the next time you visit Chicago.